Klipsch and "other speaker" companies marketing???

jmorgan32

Just looking for opinions here...................Are Klipsch speakers underpriced, or are a lot of other speakers overpriced?

I ask because when I auditioned my RF 83's side by side with a pair of $7,000 Paradigms, (and several other speakers that cost much more than the 83's) the RF 83 sounded just as good and in most cases BETTER!

I do realize that at my age (50) my hearing is not as good as it used to be, so maybe I am just "missing something."

It is just hard for me to understand how a pair of 2500.00 speakers can sound so darned good.

Now, I understand they probably don't compare to a pair of $15,000.00 B&W or Wilson Audio, but then again I have never heard those speakers either!

Just looking for opinions and feedback here.

Thanks.

It's Klipsch Magic.!!!

Please remember that our ears are human. They can only hear so well. How much better can other speakers sound compared to Klipsch. Could they actually sound so much better that they are worth the added thousands of dollars? I don't think so. Utopia in audio/video is an elusive, impossible goal to achieve. Seeking it will just drive you crazy. (That's how I got to be the way that I am)

Funny thing you should bring that up...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I've listened to the aforementioned $15,000 Wilson Audio speakers and the much more expensive speakers in the WA line and each time, after multiple listening sessions, I come away dumbfounded as to what anyone would find compelling about those speakers. My guess is the reason high-end audio stores push them is because there's a substantial profit margin. There is no way that those speakers sound as good as Klipsch Heritage (La Scalas, K-horns, etc...) speakers. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />

NO WAY

A lot of high-end stores are very good at talking dismissively and condescendingly about Klipsch. They say things like, first Klipsch went away from high-end stores, and then they went to the mid-fi retailers and now they're found in Best Buy. They also talk about how bad horns sound. Well they've probably only heard the Heritage line with poor electronics, and as we all know, with poor electronics, it brings out the worst in the horns. There are a lot of ignorant folks walking about.....

This is really one of those trick questions. Historically, early in the 20th century when the old victrolas where demonstrated to audiences their response was to aclaim that it sounded just like a real orchestra. Today, when one reads about these old demonstrations it makes one wonder about a lot of things. If an audiophile had been in the crowd he would have said, "I have heard orchestras and that does not really sound like one."

The audience would claim that because they heard and recognised the instruments, heard the drums, heard the loud and soft, the violins and the horns, etc. that they were hearing the real sound of the orchestra.

This still happens today when someone shopping for audio auditions some gear and thinks to themselves, "I hear this and that and the other... nothing missing... sounds too good to be true... what could sound better?" If the audiophile were again present he would say that it actually does not sound like a real orchestra / rock band / folk singer / etc even though all the major aspects of the music are represented in some way - all the instruments, imaging, dynamics, etc.

I think the thing here is that the non-audiophile (99.999%) music lovers know going in that the best the system can do is present an illusion to them - and the degree to which that illusion surpasses their personal threshhold to be pleasantly fooled is how the quality of the reproduction is measured and weighed for purchase. The true audiophile is that rare one who refuses to be pleasantly fooled; he has set the threshhold of the illusion all the way up to the same level as the sensory reality of a true live performance. Unless they are rich they face a life of listening to unsatisfactory audio equipment. Many end up being reviewers of high-end super expensive equipment so that they may have access to this gear for free in their search for the top. Some are so neurotic about perfect sound that they never really enjoy the music.

Have you ever come across someone who bought $15,000 - 30,000 speakers who didn't say that they sounded just great?

It is a self-fulfilling prophesy for bragging rights.

The almighty dollar drives so much in this hypocritical world.

Those stores that talk bad about Klipsch are just dissssing their competition.

Recently someone here linked to another main brand audio forum.  There I perused the threads and came across one entitled "Horns Wow!".  This person who had also tried enumerable high cost cone speakers systems had scored a pair of home built corner horns.  They were absolutely astounded at the quality of the reproduction.  Literally could not shut up about them.  Felt like fool for having not tried them sooner and encouraged everyone there to do the same.  

THANKS! I appreciate all of the feedback. I am just in the stage where I got "the bug" so to speak. Having 2nd thoughts about why I spend so "little"on my Klipsch when I have McIntosh amp, etc. However, they just sounded and still sound damned good!

I had Klipsch bookshelves (can't even remember the model---bought in around 1985) and then moved to the F3 and now R83's. I guess I must appreciate not only the "sound" but the efficiency and not needing 500 watt monoblocks as well. I just love Klipsch. Period. (I know I need to stop wondering what my system would sound like with B&W et. al, plus my 100 W Mac would not drive B&W or Wilsons.)

It's Klipsch Magic.!!!

Please remember that our ears are human. They can only hear so well. How much better can other speakers sound compared to Klipsch. Could they actually sound so much better that they are worth the added thousands of dollars? I don't think so. Utopia in audio/video is an elusive, impossible goal to achieve. Seeking it will just drive you crazy. (That's how I got to be the way that I am)

Roc, It is driving me crazy. Only two years ago, I had a cheap Kenwood receiver and some small bookshelves. Now, with my McIntosh amp and RF83's, I find myself constantly thinking about upgrading. Most recently, I bought Cardas speaker cables (1200.00) and a power cable (265.00) I hear no difference. I kept the products, but where the hell does this thinking process end???????????????

I recently auditioned B&W 800D's and 803D's mated with McIntosh MC-275 Mark V, C-46 and MCD-201. My K-horns with MC-250 and Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, with a humble Denon AVR-3200 as a pre bested the B&W's. Not even close. B&W's were too laid back, sound stage was wide but sounded "smeared". Heck, my Cornwall's with a McIntosh MAC-1700 bested the audio stores setup. I believe the 800D's go for $20,000 and the 803D's for $8,000.

I recently auditioned B&W 800D's and 803D's mated with McIntosh MC-275 Mark V, C-46 and MCD-201. My K-horns with MC-250 and Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, with a humble Denon AVR-3200 as a pre bested the B&W's. Not even close. B&W's were too laid back, sound stage was wide but sounded "smeared". Heck, my Cornwall's with a McIntosh MAC-1700 bested the audio stores setup. I believe the 800D's go for $25,000 and the 803D's for $8,000.

Thanks Ron!

I know you from the AK Mc site. You are always helpful for us "newbies,"

Much appreciated,

Joe

Just looking for opinions

here...................Are Klipsch speakers underpriced, or are a lot

of other speakers overpriced?

It depends. How much is an image worth to you? The people looking into

the super expensive speakers are merely purchasing the image that goes

along with the aesthetics and pricetag - not necessarily performance.

If you're intrested in performance and the image, I can think of a

Klipsch speaker that will run about $15K that will blow everything

outta the water. Or you could spend about half that and get the same

performance without the pretty look to it...

It's Klipsch Magic.!!!

Roc, It is driving me crazy. Only two years ago, I had a cheap Kenwood receiver and some small bookshelves. Now, with my McIntosh amp and RF83's, I find myself constantly thinking about upgrading. Most recently, I bought Cardas speaker cables (1200.00) and a power cable (265.00) I hear no difference. I kept the products, but where the hell does this thinking process end???????????????

That's when I tell astute new members such as yourself 'Welcome to the Madness'! [;)]

Michael

Recently someone here linked to another main brand audio forum. There I perused the threads and came across one entitled "Horns Wow!". This person who had also tried enumerable high cost cone speakers systems had scored a pair of home built corner horns. They were absolutely astounded at the quality of the reproduction. Literally could not shut up about them. Felt like fool for having not tried them sooner and encouraged everyone there to do the same.

Lesson learned.

It's Klipsch Magic.!!!

You have excellent speakers and a really good amp. So sorry to hear about your cables. I've never believed in super expensive cables for speakers or interconnects. I just worry about the guage for speaker wire. I don't believe that there is any difference with high priced wires except, of course, the difference in how much of your money gets spent.

Your good with your equipment. Now it is on to room treatments/equalization. That should keep you busy for quite a while.

We are all chasing the progress being made in technology so "frustration" is guaranteed.

Just looking for opinions here...................Are Klipsch speakers underpriced, or are a lot of other speakers overpriced?

It depends. How much is an image worth to you? The people looking into the super expensive speakers are merely purchasing the image that goes along with the aesthetics and pricetag - not necessarily performance.

If you're intrested in performance and the image, I can think of a Klipsch speaker that will run about $15K that will blow everything outta the water. Or you could spend about half that and get the same performance without the pretty look to it...

Excellent advice, Mike.

It's Klipsch Magic.!!!

That's when I tell astute new members such as yourself 'Welcome to the Madness'! [;)]

Michael

Perfect timing Michael.

It's Klipsch Magic.!!!

You have excellent speakers and a really good amp. So sorry to hear about your cables. I've never believed in super expensive cables for speakers or interconnects. I just worry about the guage for speaker wire. I don't believe that there is any difference with high priced wires except, of course, the difference in how much of your money gets spent.

Your good with your equipment. Now it is on to room treatments/equalization. That should keep you busy for quite a while.

We are all chasing the progress being made in technology so "frustration" is guaranteed.

Thanks Roc.

Joe

The Last time I was at one of the last local Klipsch storefronts, I wanted to audition an RT-12D, naturally they didn't have one, as well as any of the Heratige line.

Naturally the salesman tried to direct me to "BETTER" than Klipsch B&W Nautilus's, He kept saying, "Those Klipsch speakers will run off of a 9 volt battery". I told him that was a good thing, there very efficient. He went on rambling about how much better B&W was. That's when it dawned on me. I know why there's no Klipsch on the floor, They'd sound better then those B&W's and are half the money. If the cheaper speaker isn't on the floor, then the only comparison that can be made is the salesperson's word. Again, Klipsch needs to MANDATE that all dealers claiming to carry Klipsch, must maintain an inventory on the floor. They sell themselves.