To AMP or not to AMP....

taylor99ss

I recently purchased a Yamaha RXV2700 7.1-Channel receiver. 140w x 7. Anyone know of a way to bridge channels on amps like these? I didnt see anything in the documentation. I guess now that i think about it. probably isnt too feasible to do such a thing....

Anyway, I have been thinking of getting an amp to get better sound quality out of my speakers. But with 140w already from my receiver, isn't that enough? or should i focus on getting the most clean power i can get?

thanks for the help

"confused"

Speakers
Center = RC-7
Fronts = RF-7
Surrounds = RS-35
Rear Center = Dunno model number, 2 small klipsch speakers
Sub

I have a Yammy 2700 and I noticed a pretty significant difference in my system when inserting a 200wpc Rotel amp into the chain. Quicker beats (attack).. More strength in the lower registers and cleaner highs.. and just an overall sense of increased power and limitless reserves in the sound. Hard to describe.

I have a Yammy 2700 and I noticed a pretty significant difference in my system when inserting a 200wpc Rotel amp into the chain. Quicker beats (attack).. More strength in the lower registers and cleaner highs.. and just an overall sense of increased power and limitless reserves in the sound. Hard to describe.

How many channels does your Rotel have? Should I only focus on a 2 channel amp for the RF-7s?

The Rotel I currently have is only 2-channel.. I'm looking for a 1075 to go along with it though.. (have 2-channel and HT rig in same room).. Just haven't found one of those yet.

Having that extra clean power at center would be good too (RC-7 I assume?). You could look for a nice 3-channel amp to drive the front channels, then use the Yammy's own power to drive rears... or go for broke and get a good 5-channel power amp. It's up to you.. and your pocketbook. [:D]

You could go for a Yamaha MX-D1 amp. 500 watts per channel, .003% THD, 120 dB s/n ratio.

HiFi Trader carries them and I'm pleased with the one I got from them. I'm using it to drive the front speakers only, while the RX-V750 powers the center and rear speakers. However, you may run into some level matching issues with that much power, if you can't dial up the rear channels enough and dial the front channels down enough. I had to replace my Paradigm surrounds with Heresy II speakers to get enough volume on the rear channels.