Amp Preference / Personal Experience

taylor99ss

OK, so you all talked me into getting an amp so the RF-7's can breath!

Anyone have anything to say about any of the following? (too many any's)

All 2-Channels. I see no need to amp my surrounds or center, my yammy 2700 puts out 140. I can be easily convinced otherwise though.

- Rotel RB-1080

- B&K Ref 2220

- Parasound 2250

Thank you for your input

Check out the Earthquake Cinenvoa Grande amplifiers. I have had Klipsch (RF-7's all around) and nothing and I mean nothing can make them perform to their ultimate full potential than this amp brimming with raw clean power. It offers 320 watts in either 5 or 7 channel versions. I Love Mine!

Good luck in your quest!

Only thing I would say is that for movies, 90% of your sound goes through the center channel. If that's what you do then you may want to consider a three channel amp. You will also want a DB meter to balance the mains from your RF-35's.

I have a very similar set-up with RF-7 mains, RC-7, RF-3II's for surrounds. I find I am always playing with the levels for the RF-3's due to them being very different in responce to the RF-7's.

I recently did a similar upgrade. I chose the RB-1080 because I have a 'reasonable' local dealer who worked with me on price and let me try it out. I was using a Yamaha RX-V2600 for 5 channels including RF-7 front, RC-7 center, and RF-5 for surround. Soundwise, was a little thin (the RF-7 were added last) and I wasn't happy that they weren't sounding much better that the RF-5 which I previously had up front. I am mostly music, concert DVD, a lot of 2 channel, a little SACD.

OK, I got the RB-1080 about 3 mo ago and amped the RF-7 fronts and left the center/surrounds on the Yammi. The difference was impressive. I was not able to audition anything else except the Rotel 1095 (5 channel x200), and a Classe (2x200)..$$$$...amp with same speakers in shop. I could not hear an audible difference. At home, it seemed better than in the shop. I researched this pretty well, here, on-line, locally, etc. There is a lot of good opinion that 200 watts is enough for the RF-7. I don't know that brand will matter that much but check out all you can...."Arky" has good ideas about some pro-amps, too.

Addendum: since your situation is nearly identical to mine, I'll go ahead and mention: I was so impressed with the improvment over the Yammi, that I immediately decided to trade up to the RB-1095 (5 channel x 200)...but after more advice here...and more shopping....I became convinced that keeping the RB-1080 dedicated to 2 channel was ideal for the RF-7. So I got the Rotel RB-1075 (5x120) to do center/surrounds & added a center/back. Now this really cooks for 2 channel....and then throw in the second amp for concert DVD and movies....the set-up looks cool, works great, and didn't really cost but a few dollars more than the 1095 by itself. In retrospect, the Yammi was good after it got to do just 3 speakers and I could have lived with that arrangement for a while...but I just couldn't put-off going all separates after that first experience with the 1080. You will really like getting dedicated power for the RF-7.

Good luck on your choice