NEWS FLASH!! TD-124/SME/SPU gives Gary deep groove Blue Note fever!!!

To put this into perspective (somewhat), about 3 years ago I bought a NM copy of Duke Peason's Tender Feelins', another rare Blue Note. I paid $200. Just 3 months ago I sold it for close to $600. I have quite a few originals (dozens actually - maybe more than 100) but not as many monos as I would like. They're the ones that sound best on the 124 and they don't need to be NM to sound great now.

Bone & Bari is a record I really like and I'm guessing that it'll be worth double what I just paid within the next 5 years, probably less.

Chuck - If you really want that LP, shoot me an email and I'm sure we can work something out. I'm actually getting ready to sell quite a few LPs. I have way too many I don't listen to often enough and want to whittle my collection down significantly.

I would venture to say that most people who post here would think its nuts to spend 4 beans on a single LP.

I personally dig the passion whether you collect Patek Philippe or Zippo.

Someday this rare vinyl will be on the Antiques Road Show and we will all gasp:)

Yeah - some people think it's nutz to spend $20-$100 (or more) on vacuum tubes too, but as we well know, this hobby has many manifestations of this disease. I've spent a few $$$ on tubes, but hope to spend less per unit when it comes to LPs......

.....and it looks like I will get exposed to that virus, as it appears that I will have a Thorens TD124 in my hands for the fall season[:)]. Then I guess I will be initiated into the throng of vinyl freaks. Klipsch>Tubes>Vinyl. No big shock to anyone reading this thread, I'm sure....just another future addict........and lots of threads on this table and subject to read through....[;)]

Effective immediately we need to change the name from Blue Note to C Note.......considering the pricing! U go get em' Gary as I won't hold you back!

If you see Firehawk526 bidding on them.....then I've been FRAMED

Personally, I'd rather have this which was $300 as of yesterday and now $510.00 today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACK-NICKLAUS-2005-SP-SIGNATURE-SHOTS-GOLF-8x10-AUTO-20_W0QQitemZ120131139184QQihZ002QQcategoryZ133089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To put this into perspective (somewhat), about 3 years ago I bought a NM copy of Duke Peason's Tender Feelins', another rare Blue Note. I paid $200. Just 3 months ago I sold it for close to $600. I have quite a few originals (dozens actually - maybe more than 100) but not as many monos as I would like. They're the ones that sound best on the 124 and they don't need to be NM to sound great now.

Bone & Bari is a record I really like and I'm guessing that it'll be worth double what I just paid within the next 5 years, probably less.

Chuck - If you really want that LP, shoot me an email and I'm sure we can work something out. I'm actually getting ready to sell quite a few LPs. I have way too many I don't listen to often enough and want to whittle my collection down significantly.

Gary,What type of LP's are you unloading? Maybe I can help you whittle.

Larry

Gary -

I saw that Sermon LP and I almost tried to get it. Glad I didn't bid against you. I'll drop you a line or give you a call on the Nightfly album, but let's see if someone puts in a bid for it. I'm sure it sounds perfect. I'm also interested in taking some of your weedouts (i.e., helping you to fund some of your upcoming mono acquisitions) over the next few months.

Chuck

I paid $20 for a really nice reissue! That one is WAAAAY out of my league!!! I'm sure Allan has an original though. He has 'em all! Allan could retire and sell an album every couple of weeks to live off of.

I have an old radio station copy from KJAZ, a long gone station out of Berkeley, CA that I bought 30 years ago! I think I paid about ten dollars, more or less!

The jacket has the call letters stamped on the back and isn't in great shape, mabe VG-, borderline VG--the vinyl is in solid VG+ shape--some pops here and there but it plays fine-much better now with the mono tonearm and cartrdige.

I would STILL love to have that mint copy at Atomic, but they want two grand for it and that is WAAAAAY out of my league too!!

I think you're right about living off my records if I had to--but that would be a VERY painful way to support myself!!!

Not to bring up a morbid subject but.........Every time my son is home I try to explain which of my records are valuable and why so if I drop dead one day he'll know what to do with them. I do have arrangements with a couple of my forum buddies in case either of us get hit by a bus or something equally terrible. My son has no interest and rolls his eyes whenever I bring up the subject. I'm pretty sure my wife understands but I doubt she'd have the time or interest in ebaying 2,000+ records. It's really the only thing that worries me about this hobby. She could jump on the forum and sell my gear pretty easily but the LPs would be much more difficult.