Heresy II amp choice

Hi, i have currently purchased a pair of Heresy II's and i have lying around an adcom GFA-2535 an adcom GFA-535II and a Parasound HCA-750A. I was wondering if any of these amps would work with the Heresy II's or if i should buy a new amp. If yes, any tuner ideas?

Hi, i have currently purchased a pair of Heresy II's and i have lying around an adcom GFA-2535 an adcom GFA-535II and a Parasound HCA-750A. I was wondering if any of these amps would work with the Heresy II's or if i should buy a new amp. If yes, any tuner ideas?

Welcome to the forum.

If you have a tuner I would say hook up each amp for a while so you can make a judgment. Everyone has an opinion about everything but if it sounds good to you, then it works. And yes a tube will improve and wake up you Heresy, if you have the money.

James

I would give a good long listen with the Adcom 535 and the Parasound. Both those amps are fine.

Personally, I would spend more time in experimenting with the speaker placement in the room. It will have a bigger impact since you are already using decent electronics.

In many ways the speakers are actually pretty easy to drive. They have a good efficiency and will not require huge amounts of wattage. Also the impedance presented to the amp does drop too low, so you do not need massive current reserves.

One caveat is that their efficiency also means that any noise, hiss, hum, or noise will also be efficiently transduced and can be quite audible. I have personally used the Adcom on my K-Horns (very revealing speakers) and the unit was nice and quiet.

Good Luck,

-Tom

A couple have given good advice. You don't know what improvements can be made to your system until you have listened to it and established a baseline. After listening to it for a while, then try to get a chance to listen to some Heresies with a tube amp. If you appreciate the difference tubes make, there a multitude of paths you can go down and they don't necessarily begin with a Scott.

I have never heard a SET amp, I wouldn't go with anything under 8 watts regardless of topology, so no I would not recommend a SET amp.

But... oldbuckster... tube amps don't begin and end with a refurbed Scott. Lots of interesting amps out there that are new and cheap (or not), lots of easy inexpensive (or not) DIY amps to build, and lots of vintage amps as well.

I have told Dean and will tell you, my Eico (upgraded by yours truly) brings a certain element to the party which ensures if I were forced to sell all my equipment except for one piece, I would keep it. It is the ugliest piece and the lowest WPC but for everything except the highest listening levels, it is almost mystical in its presentation.

Anarchist.............I understand about Scott, but for me to comment on Eico,Fisher, Dynaco, etc, would be unfair on my part, I have never heard Eico, or Fisher............and I could mention McIntosh, but that is a different league............So, that's why I say Scott, that's what I own...I had a Kenwood Solid State Intergrated amp, which I wish I never sold,but I did, nice unit.............

Well then buck... we have to make it so you do hear some of these others. Are you going to be at the Pilgramage?

No Sir, I'm not ................. would have liked to, but...........I'm sure I'll hear them sometime, after all I did travel to Utica, N.Y. to hear MarkGods SET through Khorns............which I'm glad I did, since then he has gone to VRD's, need to get outhere to hear those............