Are Forte ll's worth it?

I'm looking into buying a pair of Forte ll's to replace my KG 4's. I have not been happy with my speakers since I sold my Cornwalls way back in the 80's. A while back I purchased a pair KG 4's and then a pair 4.2''s along with a KV-3 center. Sounds really good but I'm not satisfied. I guess the question is, should I hold out for Cornwalls... or jump on the Forte ll bandwagon and ride that a while? I would really like to hear a pair of K-horns, Lascalas, or Belles.. My musical tastes include some rock but lately I've been listening to new country (twang free)... Thanks Jeff...

Because Forte IIs are great speakers that's why. The Forte IIs are in a different league than KG4s.

On the other hand, with Buckster's reasoning, why settle for just Cornwalls?? [*-)][:D]

Go straight for Belles, LaScalas, or Khorns. I'm sure even a forum member or two would also advocate Jubilees................[H]

Depends on how big of a check that you want to write..........

And how large of a speaker that you want. Larger speaker = larger sound.

Carl.

I was in a pawn shop last week and missed a pair of forte IIs for $200 by 5 hours. The guy in the shop said they just sat there for months with no interest before someone bought them.....drat. I wish he had at least put a cloth over them so I would have missed them. I have been told they are Heresey on steroids.

I wrote to PWK years ago before I traded in my Heresys and asked about Fortes and he wrote back saying he loved them alot as they were in essence Heresys with an extra 1/2 octave at the bottom end. I bought the II'S and never looked back unitl I bought the big boys (KHORNS). Even today you would be pushed to find a better speaker for the money you can get them for.

Cheers

It seems that you have your heart set on Cornwalls. A good thing. So maybe nothing else will be pleasing regardless of technical merit.

But let me suggest you branch out a bit if you have the money and the time. You will probably be able to sell FIIs for whatever you paid if you're not happy. Shipping is another matter. If you find a set with shipping boxes that enters the equation. You may be upgrading to K-Horns eventually.

I love my Forte II. They are in an office which is too small for CWs. I believe there is something remarkable about the big passive radiator and the tractrix horn. I suspect that the FII is especially good if you have a difficult room where the tractrix, being more directional, helps keep the sound off the ceiling and the floor (and other things interfering with sound).

Overall, the Forte II are spooky good (as they say) and are such in all rooms (probably).

I will say that I was very impressed hearing Boomac's CWs. They were in a larger living room and pulled a bit out of the corners. They too had the spooky good midrange and great bass. I suspect some of that was the room and placement.

You can see where this is going. If you want an old friend nothing else will do. But, I'd say, do something "wild and crazy" and try the FII.

Gil

Thanks everyone..! If this site was around back then I probably wouldn't have sold the Corn's. I have a difficult room acoustics with one good corner and the other "open" over the dining room (tri-level w/vaulted ceiling). I'm trying to climb the Klipsch ladder towards the top. My Everest is 4 K horns w/ custom center..! Thanks again you guys..!!! Jeff...

I'm looking into buying a pair of Forte ll's to replace my KG 4's. I have not been happy with my speakers since I sold my Cornwalls way back in the 80's. A while back I purchased a pair KG 4's and then a pair 4.2''s along with a KV-3 center. Sounds really good but I'm not satisfied. I guess the question is, should I hold out for Cornwalls... or jump on the Forte ll bandwagon and ride that a while? I would really like to hear a pair of K-horns, Lascalas, or Belles.. My musical tastes include some rock but lately I've been listening to new country (twang free)... Thanks Jeff...

I traded a pair of CW's for forte II's if that helps you at all.

I traded a pair of Forte IIs for Cornwalls. It was because I only had one good corner. I couldn't get the balance of the passives in the rear with just one corner. It has to be taken into consideration. Colter and I are both happy with the trade.

Harry

Unless you listen loud, I would lean towards the Forte II's. Heck, you already know what the cornwalls sound like - it seems you are curious about the Forte II's. Will that go away if you don't end up with a pair? [;)]

I was in a pawn shop last week and missed a pair of forte IIs for $200 by 5 hours. The guy in the shop said they just sat there for months with no interest before someone bought them.....drat. I wish he had at least put a cloth over them so I would have missed them. I have been told they are Heresey on steroids.

Are we not men?

We are DEVO.

I wrote to PWK years ago before I traded in my Heresys and asked about Fortes and he wrote back saying he loved them alot as they were in essence Heresys with an extra 1/2 octave at the bottom end. I bought the II'S and never looked back unitl I bought the big boys (KHORNS). Even today you would be pushed to find a better speaker for the money you can get them for.

Cheers

A third good man.