Garage sale booty, or How to score Cornwalls by Jeremy

capo72

Well persistance has finally paid off. From the Sheltie Dave school of finding deals, the theory of "you have to beat the path to find the deals" has come to fruition. I have spent lots of time looking for gear at garage sales and auctions, only to find junk or nothing at all. After spending the last 3 days driving past a garage sale sign at the end of my subdivision I decided to go check it out. It was about 3 blocks down at the other end of my road. I walked up to the garage and was attracted to a large highboy secretary along the wall, past that was a dresser, and past that some large speakers. My 1st thought was "those are too big to be Cornwalls", but as I approached I saw the Klipsch logo on the grill. Low and behold they were Corns in oak oil. I searched for a price tag and saw $250.00. I thought not a bad deal, but i'll have to run back home for some cash. Then I looked again and the tag didn't say $250.00, it said $25.00. I could not get the money out of my wallet fast enough. My heart was beating 100 mph and my hands were shaking as I handed over the cash. I backed my truck up to the door and loaded them up. They looked pretty good with a few scuffs here and there but over all pretty decent. I saw right away as I turned them around that they were Cornwall II's from 1988. I chatted with the owners for a couple of minutes only to find out they were happy to get rid of these big old speakers. They did not want to haul them back in the house and they were getting ready to shut down the sale. I then took off fearing they could see the persperation stains growing under the arms of my Sunday church clothes. I high tailed it the 3 blocks back home and pulled in the garage and shut the door. I felt guilty like I had stole them or something, but I reassured myself they wanted to get rid of them, and that I have paid my dues to fall into another deal. Some may remember a couple of years ago when I scored my 1st set of Corns (76 CWO) from my Aunt for free. So I now have 2 pairs of Corns with $25 wrapped up in them. I'm telling you folks, presistance pays off. The deals are out there, but you have to find them they rarely are going to find you. I just wanted to share this tale with my forum buddies, especially those of you fresh off the Pilgrimage. I really wanted to go this year but could not. If I had gone I may have never scored this deal, so I guess it was meant to be. I have attached some pics, enjoy.

Jeremy

post-17815-13819335068984_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naturally you are not going to keep these....you will be selling them to a Brother Forum Member for...oh, say around $75 or so?

$75 ?

Why, that's 200% profit!

You know how some folks will get...

I think you might ask 1000 % on your investment (that's one thousand percent PROFIT) AND STILL BE RIPING YOUR SELF OFF.

The question I would like to know the answer to is: did you think of giving the seller more than the $25 he had them marked?

Last week, I paid a seller twice what he was asking for an HH Scott tube amp because he thru in another one that was broken.

So, am I a saint?

HARDLY!

So Capo, If you sell these, think long and hard about selling them around here without a "non-disclosure agreement" - LOL

Good Luck (and good hunting.)

~Noah