Need a good 2-channel amp for my Synergy B3's, ~$100

MD1032

Pretty self-explanatory. I've burned through enough T-amps (two) and I'm done with those. Looking for a permanent, budget replacement. It's going in a dorm, so the smaller the better, but heck, if it sounds better and it's bigger, I'll take it. I only need a two-channel obviously.

I found this curious amp on amazon.com. It looks pretty minimalist, perhaps what I might be looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00026BQJ6/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/103-3514800-7259834?ie=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&n=172282

Suggestions?

Why not consider a headphone amp that also serves as a preamp and amp for efficient speakers. I think the Cayin might do this, and I've heard from a friend that it performs very well. The market is full of dozens, if not a hundred, wonderful headphone amps that are affordable and still work with Klipsch. Even though Cayin, I think, is Chinese, it doesn't mean that you can't drop in the tubes you like the best and do further upgrades. Plus, it will also serve as a nice headphone amp and require less space.

The Creek 5350 is highly regarded and a well-made British unit. I've always wanted to try their amps, but I have had their CD43Mk2 CD player but currently use their CD53 CD player. The power may be overkill, though, for the ultra-efficient Klipsch line.

I'd consider a preowned Rogue Audio Stereo 90 KT88-based amp and use it in triode mode. Audiogon will have great prices for these.

Bill H, that's the amp that whell mentioned?

Sure, of course I'd be interested. Give me the model number, though, so I can do a little more research on it first.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, guys.

Seaster, I was already using the portable T-amp, though, which has a roughly 8 watt RMS output, I believe, and the problem with that amp was that it didn't have enough power. I was using it at the upper end of its operating spectrum some of the time, and the fidelity was terrible at that output level. In fact, the music would actually sound better when it was whisper-quiet than when it was a comfortable level. I'd be fine with a lower-powered amp, just not one as low-powered as the T-amp.

I was already using the portable T-amp, though, which has a roughly 8 watt RMS output, I believe, and the problem with that amp was that it didn't have enough power. I was using it at the upper end of its operating spectrum some of the time, and the fidelity was terrible at that output level. In fact, the music would actually sound better when it was whisper-quiet than when it was a comfortable level. I'd be fine with a lower-powered amp, just not one as low-powered as the T-amp.

Which "T-amp" are you referring to? If you can do it, all of the Rogue Audio tube amps are great, and you won't run out of power. Regarding tubed headphone amps, I was referring mainly to some from Cayin, Antique Sound Labs, Singlepower, and Berning (OTL). The Op-amp-based headphone amps would probably not be a good match with any Klipsch speaker. You're right, too, that the headphone amps may need to operate closer to their maximum output levels, but there are some that might have more power than others. Given the price and tweekability, I think some are probably worth a try.

good morning,

have you considered the idea of a trends amp? i've been using the ta 10.1 for about 2 months now hooked to the dvd/cd player and have had considerable enjoyment running it to the khorns. inexpensive good sound if you have efficiant speakers. if you dont i could envision them going south on you if that is what you are refering to with the "going through two t amps". with the khorns, playing the trend amp is very laid back but when turned towards the halfway point on the volume knog, good god they put out some incredible sound. ofcourse i'm in a small room and only have a halfway decent setup for the horns. still, i do enjoy them and the amp a lot so it might be worth a try.

pete

I was already using the portable T-amp, though, which has a roughly 8 watt RMS output, I believe, and the problem with that amp was that it didn't have enough power. I was using it at the upper end of its operating spectrum some of the time, and the fidelity was terrible at that output level. In fact, the music would actually sound better when it was whisper-quiet than when it was a comfortable level. I'd be fine with a lower-powered amp, just not one as low-powered as the T-amp.

Which "T-amp" are you referring to? If you can do it, all of the Rogue Audio tube amps are great, and you won't run out of power. Regarding tubed headphone amps, I was referring mainly to some from Cayin, Antique Sound Labs, Singlepower, and Berning (OTL). The Op-amp-based headphone amps would probably not be a good match with any Klipsch speaker. You're right, too, that the headphone amps may need to operate closer to their maximum output levels, but there are some that might have more power than others. Given the price and tweekability, I think some are probably worth a try.

The T-amp I am referring to is the one made by Sonic Impact.

The problem is, I don't even know how this (using a headphone amp) is possible. Some of the most powerful headphone amps designed to power the likes of the AKG K1000 only go up to 12 mW of output. With speakers, you need huge amounts of power, many orders of magnitude greater, on the order of tens of Watts.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=17073

1.2 wpc in triode mode or 2.2 wpc in ultralinear (pentode) mode integrated tube amp that also functions as a headphone amp. Actually, it's a headphone amp first, and an integrated amp second, so it's versatile. There are some made in the USA if you want to go all out, but this Chinese-made is very tweekable and upgradable if you find it lacking in sonic purity. As being discussed on another thread, the Chinese make a lot of audio equipment as a very, very low price. In fact, most of Klipsch drivers are made in China. So if you are cool with that, then this Chinese tube amp will be a perfect match.

Listen, not only is that thing only 1.2WPC, which is woefully inadequate, but it's $800, and I'm looking for an amp around $100.

Sorry about that! I thought those speaker were more efficient, but I see they're only rated at 94 dB. I have a pair of speakers rated at 96 dB and an 8 wpc amp is more than engough, so you should be able to get by with much less.

The B3's are indeed pretty efficient, but my experience thus far with the 8 WPC T-amp suggests that even 8 watts isn't enough - trust me, the volume doesn't get anywhere near 94 db, even with that kind of wattage. I appreciate the suggestion, though, but I am an experienced Head-Fi'er, so I know a headphone amp probably isn't going to do me. :)