Favorite demo DVD

pretzelb

Apologies ahead of time to members and forum moderators if this has been done to death already or if it's too non-Klipsh specific.

Just curious which DVD's everyone finds the best for doing a HT demo. With a few days left for shopping, we might get good ideas for last minute gifts.

I don't have an extensive collection but I was actually surprised that my favorite is The Patriot. Seems to have a lot of side to side and front to back effects that are clear and distinct. Perhaps it's because there are lots of scenes where you hear isolated canons or rifle shots being fired instead of just massive amounts of explosions or millions of automatic rounds that you find in modern movies.

-M

------------------

Fronts - Heresy II

Center - KSFC5

Sub - Paridigm PDR10(?)

Surround - ???

One more thing; at least as far as audio is concerned, Star Wars Ep#1. I stepped into a Bose store about a week ago while killing time at the mall. They had an HT demo going on at the time with TPM playing with their top of the line HT speaker system, forgot which one. Everyone has been gushing about how awesome the movie is with 6.1 EX. The video looked good too, but it's the audio on that disc which is what's really sweet. Of course that DVD's Achilles heel is one insipidly stupid character named Jar Jar. The one reason I may not buy that one no matter how awesome the sound. Oh well, at least it has Natalie Portman.

Overall, for a demo DVD to really show off your system with, go with the first three above.

This message has been edited by Marshal on 12-21-2001 at 10:30 PM

Besides the previously mentioned movies:

"Gladiator" in DTS-ES, opening battle scene. If your system is set up properly the arrows fly in all directions, and when the catapults launch it will really show off a subwoofer's power.

Another good one is "U571" in DTS, especially the depth-charging scenes. This DVD will really show off the overall power of your system as the explosions occur and the creaking noises from the submarine's hull move around the speakers quite a bit.

On the quieter side, "Bram Stoker's Dracula" has very good effects. These aren't in-your-face type effects but are more subtle, there's numerous scenes where there are really creepy noises that move around the channels to give a good, eerie environment. Its enough to make my cats lift their heads up and look around when they're in the room.

"The Haunting" in DTS-ES has pretty good effects also, but you need the room lights off and the volume up for proper enjoyment.

As for Star Wars Episode 1, if you can get the DVD for free it may be a good demo disc but there's no way I would pay for one. The movie is not up to the originals and the Jar Jar character is so obnoxious that it brings back the need for "barf bags" in theaters. I saw it in the theater but won't be buying this DVD no matter how good the sound is.

As for Star Wars Episode 1, if you can get the DVD for free it may be a good demo disc but there's no way I would pay for one. The movie is not up to the originals and the Jar Jar character is so obnoxious that it brings back the need for "barf bags" in theaters. I saw it in the theater but won't be buying this DVD no matter how good the sound is.

Did I hear an echo? ;-)

quote:

Originally posted by Audioholic:

So I'm not a true Star Wars fan, huh, although I've seen every Star Wars movie in the theater as it was released (starting in 1977). I guess you're right, since I don't own any of the masks, uniforms, or a play light saber. How often do you wear yours, TODDVJ?

Good one!!

I didn't say I was a Dork, just a Star Wars fan. I just don't see how anyone who is into Star Wars can say that Episode One wasn't great. You have to listen to what the Jedi Council says, that alone makes the film worth watching. The fight scenes were awesome. Yeah, Jar Jar is somewhat annoying, but haven't you ever seen a good movie with an annoying character. Yeah, I know one annoying character just ruins the whole movie. To each his own though. Oh, by the way, I own all the Star Wars movies on DVD. Nyah, Nyah.

Uhhh..."somewhat annoying"?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

I saw the first Star Wars movie in 1978 at the Drive-In in Biloxi, Mississippi while going to Tech School during my Air Force stint. That was also the last Star Wars movie I ever saw. It never did anything for me then and I imagine it wouldn't do much for me now. I have never been much of a Sci-Fi fan to begin with. Never was a Trekkie, so I didn't see any of the Star Trek movies either. Personnally, I prefer a movie that makes me think and emote. Pulp Fiction, Dances with Wolves, American Beauty and Good Will Hunting are more to my liking. Not the best movies for showing off a system but you have to watch what you like to see...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

I think I'll pickup the Queen DVD this weekend.This last weekend I bought the AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip Live DVD.It is also in DTS and DD 5.1. It will give your sub a workout.It's very good.Not great but it will get you moving.Speaking of workouts, I don't know where Angus Young gets the energy after so many years of pounding the stage.Amazing.

This message has been edited by BBB on 12-31-2001 at 03:43 AM