Help with my Klipsch Chorus I - need suggestions

dkalsi

As you know I picked up a pair of Klipsch Chorus I last week.

Listening impressiosn - very nice speakers but I am now blown away as was the case with my Cornwalls and Khorns.

However, right now i have hooked them up with a mere Sonic Impact Super-T amp . (what the amp really lacks is bass - which makes it even worse with Corus which roll off relatively high).

I wanted to know if you guys could recommend a good intergrated amp for my chorus - I am looking for something cheap (sub $200 - mostly old vintage equipment).

Please let me know. Thanks.

The problem with the Super-T is that its FR will track impedance at the higher frequencies. Since it uses an autoformer, the Chorus impedance increases with frequency, and hits 70 ohms at 2100Hz. The Super-T (and most other Tripath implementations) will deliver non-flat response under those conditions, and will increase output at the frequencies where impedance climbs. So, your mids are probably too bright and leaving the bass behind. Have you tried corner placement to bring up the low end?

A "sub $200" recommendation is tough for me, mostly because I don't have a lot of experience with vintage integrateds. I suppose this vintage NAD might sound nice.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1187403927http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?intatran&1&ctg&st1''>http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?intatran&1&ctg&st1' mce_href="http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?intatran&1&ctg&st1">

xxufo,

I will keep my fellow forum members in mind. Many have asked me for the Chorus and all will be welcomed to purchase them at the price I paid should I decide to sell them.

Its just that I have it hooked up to a stupid sonic T-amp and comparing that to the Cornwalls paired with a Fisher 500C.

Thats why I am in the market for a good intergrated to pair the Chorus with, see what they truely have to offer.

Thanks

D

I had a F. 500c on loan from Thebees once. Doesn't is have an A/B speaker thing? I remember wanting to A/B my Forte II and Chorus I. Drag the C1s to where the CWalls are and hook them up to the Fisher.

Don't even think of selling the Chorus. Sell the Cornwalls! [6]

Thought #2

Since you are using the SI amp are you also using an ipod or other mp3 player as the source? If so I would expect the C1s with compressed/crappy MP3s to sound worse then CWs on nice tube gear with a decent source (CDs or Vinyl). Don't sell the C1s short give them the same room/gear as the corns before you jump to any conclusions.

The Chorus speakers also don't have the crazy boost in the LF either (which both the khorn and cornwall have).

I've had the Sonic Impact hooked up to my Chorus II's and it was a most awful listening experience. You need a beefy amp to get them beefy woofers moving - and then it sounds great.

I have an HK630 hooked up right now and things are tonally balanced. It did take me a while to get accustomed to the super flat bass response, but after a while you'll go back to the cornwall and find it sounding fake. I probably would prefer most cornwalls though if it weren't for the smooth tractrix midrange in the Chorus II. The Chorus I has the exponential mids which bite a bit more...I wouldn't be surprised if you preferred the Cornwall.

The old HK receivers have a contour switch will boost the bass about the same amount as a cornwall. I think the switch sounds better on Heresy's, but you might give it a try.