Confused

Went to my local reseller the other day and listened to a pair of RF 82, it really blew me away<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Dont know the name of the CD player or receiver but I suspect they are way over my budget.

I played a couple of songs with Clapton and some Hip-Hop with good bass and it sounded really good, drove home in a hurry and revised my budget.

Today I got another chance to listen to exactly the same products but this time I happened to have a couple of my own cd´s with me.

Dont know if anyone of you is familiar with the following but first I played "Beauty" and "Shout 97" from Motley Crue´s "Generation swine" and then "Erased" from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Paradise lost´s "Symbol of life".

I hate to say it but I got so depressed and it sounded really bad, felt like someone kicked me where it hurts.

I dont really know how to explain how it sounded but there was almost no bass or thickness in the sound.

Then we moved to another listening area where we played the RF 52´s with a monster Rotel amplifier and CD player, did not sound really like I wanted but better.

Next step is to listen to the RF 62´s with Marantz SR 7001 or 6001 and DV 6001, they are on top of my list and within my budget range.

Hope this works because otherwise I really dont know witch way to go.

Could the RF´s be too good?

How about the synergys instead?

Would I find the missing parts with a sub?

God night from Ola

Doctor,

It may be that what you've heard is an example of how resolving the RF speakers are. Heritage speakers also can expose a poorly recorded CD.

You might want to listen to the synergy line. They are very good speakers, too. Perhaps a larger selection of your CD's would indicate if you are hearing a poor recording or not. If you have Diana Krall Live in Paris, it is one of my favorite reference CD's. All her stuff is well recorded, too, so others would be possibilities for checking out a system.

Are you listening in their sound rooms? I never trust listening in a dealers room, home is the best place to listen.........take your time, don't be hurried, can you take equipment to your place for a couple of days?..........

Good advice. A decent shop will let you borrow equipment to try out. I'm not sure that your local chain store would even consider that, though.

It's amazing how much more detail I can hear with my RB81's than I could with my old Cerwin Vega speakers. I can't stand to listen to MP3's unless they are >320mbps. I find that a lot of older 80's Metal just sounds like garbage. They really didn't have the recording budget and/or didn't care to polish their tracks so they were blindingly shiny. They probably sounded great on a Walkman or Ghetoblaster back then and your typical teenager didn't have a $5000 stereo setup.

Try to find some HDCDs in you collection and you might be impressed. Some bands have re-releases that are remastered to sound a little better. I know generation swine is not 80's metal but it was probably not as highly polished as some of the other releases in the late 90's.

I find too that some music just comes alive on my Klipsch speakers. I wasn't a big fan of Supertramp until I heard "Crime of the Century". In particular the track "Bloody Well Right" brought out the full potential in my system. Do I dare to say that Klipsch is "Progressive Rock's Best Friend"? I've found that other progressive rock bands such as Genesis, Rush, and Pink Floyd sound fantastic as well. Maybe it's the fact that these bands (or their engineers) value the recording aspect greatly. Most have more than one CD release of each album (remasters of remasters of remasters...).

Thanks everyone, I have some coments for you...

I found a reseller with the Synergys just a couple of hours with car from where i live, the local reseller only have RF.

Could be a nice daytrip for me and my wife some day this summer... just tryng to take things slow, my goal is to have thing up and running before christmas [:D]

Don´t have any Diana Krell CD´s but i will pick out some really good recordings from my collection for next time, i think i have a couple of HDCD´s as well.

They don´t have a sound room, more like dedicated sound areas and i´m not sure if I can take home the equipment but I will push them about it.

I think my biggest problem is that in one end of my collection I have a couple of Pink Floyd and Manfred Mann CD´s, in the other end there is Megadeth and between there is a lot of 80´s hard rock like Motley...

Maby i should have a receiver with a big (please dont kill me...) loudness button for times when i need a nosebleed.

I cant help to wonder where not any ordinary tone controls on quality receivers?

Maby i should have a receiver with a big (please dont kill me...) loudness button for times when i need a nosebleed.

I cant help to wonder where not any ordinary tone controls on quality receivers?

The loudness button is for listening at low volume. It boosts the bass quite a bit and the treble a little bit to compensate for the ear's loss in sensitivity to the lowest and highest tones when the volume is low. It's not meant to rattle the windows at high volume.

With your advices I mind I made another trip to my reseller a couple of days ago and got to listen to RF-62´s with a Pioneer receiver and a Marantz cd-player.

Brought some carefully chosen cd´s this time...

Rockenfield Speer "Hells canyon", Motley Crue "Motley crue" (remastered 1999), Matchbox twenty "Mad season", Megadeth "Cryptic writings" (HDCD), Deep purple "Burn" (remastered 2004)

...and the sound was fantastic.

On the next visit in a couple of weeks I will listen to the same cd´s but with different electronics, Marantz SR 7001 & DV6001.

Good night America, wherever you are...

Dealer setup is EVERYTHING! You need to control the set up. If there is a lack of bass, it is because the reciever or control unit is being told to cut the bass. It takes a long time to listen to quality items at a dealer. You have to personally see where all of the controls are set so you can make sure your really hearing what you should be. All of the Klipsch speakers I have heard have LOADS of bass. The RF-82 should rattle the walls and shake everything not nailed down on a bass heavy track that is turned up with a powerful reciever or amp. Good Luck in your pursuit of good sound....[:)]

• Moderators

I am glad to see things are looking up in your endeavor to purchase Klipsch speakers. I know you will be happy once you have them "in hand", or should I say "in home". Be sure to let us know about your next "experience".