So how bout them Jubs?

DrWho

Just curious what everyone's impressions are concerning the Jubs from the mixer...I know how I feel, but I wanted to see what all y'all have to say. I had a lot of interesting conversations that evening...

How were they? They were kind of handicapped in such a room as a large conference room.... but they sounded amazing..... utterly amazing. They did have 2 different sets set up, one with the 402 horn and k-69 ( I think.... someone correct me if I am wrong ) and the other had a 510 horn with k-69 driver.

Honestly I felt the 402 was so much better in terms of coverage, no matter if you walked a few feet off axis, it sounded pretty much the same. The 510 seemed great on axis, but as soon as you got farther away from that, the output fell off.

Would I buy them? Absolutely in a heartbeat, assuming I had also a pair of amplifiers and active crossover to work with, and a larger room to fill, lest not forget about the $$$ portion. They are expensive, but not compared to 15K high end brands, they would lay a lickin' on anything near it's price range and above. It is a very high output speaker system to fill large venues.

"So how bout them Jubs?"

The response is overwhelming. I guess if you can't say something nice ... I know I was certainly less than impressed. When they were finally driven above the sound of 80 people chattering, it was just too damn loud. Major slam and really clean -- but it just made me want to crawl under a table. I never heard anything even remotely close to what I'm enjoying. It probably would have helped if there had been a dedicated listening session, the divider pulled across to split the rooms -- and those more interested in talking then listening banished to the other side and into the hall. Who says I'm getting old -- maybe he's right. Sorry, but if you want to drive to those levels without bleeding the ears out you have to lose the solid grate. If I'd known it was going to sound like that I would have paid Craig $500 to come down and salvage the demo.:)

The K402 had a K69 on it. The 510 had a B&C DE75. I believe the 75 is supposed to be a better driver..."

Yet the K-69-A/K-402 combination sounded better. The DE75 is discontinued, but only $15 separates its replacement from the driver Klipsch uses for the K-69-A. Roy says the K-69-A is a virtual clone of the DE75, and we know the base driver is modified with Roy's new phase plug design -- we don't know if that is the case with the B&C.

Mr. NOS. On one hand, what you say is true, but I would also say that's an exaggeration by who told you that. Apples and Oranges comparison at best. without a gain equalized A/B in the same room, it's not as valid an opinion. Especially since the main focus of the mixer was CONVERSATION. So how can you assess the nuances of a speaker just thrown into an availalbe room as opposed to one with Auralex room treatments on a speaker that has been tweaked for 60 years? Those playing fields are not level nor are they in the same stadium.

Only a side by side comparison would suffice to make that comment accurate, and I doubt that we would arrive at the same conclusion. There was too much going on with too many people for that to happen. There is no doubt that the Jubs, even in a less-than-ideal environment with lots of noise, showed potential to, dare I say it, displace the Khorn as the King of the Hill. For some people on this board, that has already happened. There must be a reason why PWK wanted to go back to a 2-way. Commercial application is the right place for the Jubilee, and for those who want that sound in their home, it's certainly available. But, as we all know, the taste and style of the general public has moved towards tall and skinny speakers not big horn. That has always been reserved for we, the borderline fanatics, in terms of relative sales volume. Those are the market realities. I know that we don't care, but 99% of people out there would question our sanity to begin with and would never do what we do because they don't love music enough to do it. Physics is physics, and the Jub is a better solution than Wilson's hand tweaked, multi-kilowatt, $100,000 speakers, which is reserved for those who want to brag about how much they spent rather than get the very best, most dynamic, most lifelike sound for the money.

It was obvious to me that no super tweeter was needed on either one, and that the 402's large size gave your a much smoother sounding top end. But the little 510 was amazing also. I believe in Roy's Tractrix direction and that time will prove him correct. He certainly had the blessings of PWK to go in this direction and I wholeheartedly believe that PWK would have evolved his work in horn development in the direction that Roy is taking it, if he had lived a few more decades. OK, I'm off the soap box for now.

Man I seem to remember reading from an expert that the room makes little or no difference with a Jub. Heck I also read that the upstream components have little effect as long as they are distortion free.

This thread was started with the question "So how about them Jubs". Well I just relayed what I was told by a few folks so far.

"Commercial application is the right place for the Jubilee, and for those who want that sound in their home, it's certainly available."

So what is the difference between a "commercial sound" and a "home sound". I have real problems with this reasoning. So, if I drop a 2" exit driver with a titanium diaphragm into a Klipschorn does it then produce a "commercial sound"? Great clarity and realism -- better shove those Klipschorns behind the screen! How about the difference between an industrial LaScala and the home version? What, can't use the industrial version in the home because it's black and designated for PA applications? I will say to everyone here, if my Jubilees sounded like what I heard at the mixer -- they would already be gone.

"So how can you assess the nuances of a speaker just thrown into an availalbe room as opposed to one with Auralex room treatments on a speaker that has been tweaked for 60 years?"

What you get after 60 years of tweaking is a Jubilee. The reason the Klipschorns sounded the way they did is because they were in a great room with a low noise floor, and run with decent tube gear and good recordings.

Man I seem to remember reading from an expert that the room makes little or no difference with a Jub. Heck I also read that the upstream components have little effect as long as they are distortion free.

I don't remember that last part. The first part was in the context of using them in a smaller room, where he said the improved pattern contol of the big horn at the lower frequencies would be a benefit. I don't think he meant they would sound their best in a crappy room stuffed with wall to wall people carrying on conversations. Seriously, there must have been twice as many people as the last time.