large Woofer vs 2 Smaller ones?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you all think are the advantages of 2 smaller woofers vs one large one?

Well if you have two 8 ohm woofers in parallel, they will look like 4 ohms to the amplifier, each sharing the current. You can make a taller box and move the tweeter higher. Two 12's have more cone area the one 15, so the IM distortion will be lower or you can have lower bass at the same distortion, or louder at the same distortion.You can have slightly different woofers, where their characteristics wold blend into a smoother sound. Need I say more?

Makes sense one the electrical part. But im not talking about 2 12" vs one 15" more on the lines on 2 6" vs one 12 same space but 2 different woofers.

Are you building a speaker or trying to judge a speaker purchase?

You're talking 18pi versus 36pi (you'd need four 6" drivers to keep up with a 12").

Also keep in mind the effects on polar response too...

So they should only be used in the Artic? [*-)]

In English, any time you have more than one driver doing the same thing you have a better chance of receiving varying signals to your ears. First each speaker is a different distance from your ear. And second, if there are any varriations in performace, each cone will not be vibrating identically.

Getting multiple signals is NOT a good thing.

IMO - Use a single driver whenever you can.

JM

"You're talking 18pi versus 36pi (you'd need four 6" drivers to keep up with a 12")."

does that "math" out correctly?

I always thought that 4 six inch speakers were approx equal to one 10"

Dual 12's in the Jubilee outperform a single 15. There's a lot more at play there and is really not apples to apples. A good horn designer gets to control the directivity with the shape of the horn...something you can't do with a direct radiating system.

Directivity is also frequency dependant. The higher the frequency, the more it beams. The amount it beams will be dependant upon the distance between acoustic sources. So basically, by stacking two woofers on top of each other, you will narrow the vertical directivity and the horizontal won't change (or will become slightly wider if you go with smaller drivers).

Sometimes it is advantageous to move to multiple drivers and use the beaming to control directivity. You just don't want the drivers so far apart that you run into comb-filtering...I believe the basic rule of thumb is an interdriver spacing no greater than 1/2 wavelength. At 1kHz, that comes to 6 inches.

"You're talking 18pi versus 36pi (you'd need four 6" drivers to keep up with a 12")."

does that "math" out correctly?

I always thought that 4 six inch speakers were approx equal to one 10"

Area is a squared relationship with radius....so cut the radius in half and you've got 1/4 the area.

Not all same diameter drivers are equal though. Different kinds of suspensions and radiating areas are going to contribute differently to the 'effective' surface area. I've never sat down to look at general Sd's for real systems, but I'm pretty sure quad 6's are gonna come closer to a 12" driver than a 10"...

Is there any reason in particular that you're looking at the Reference lineup? A good pair of Heritage will blow most anything outta the water...

At the very least I would try to upgrade to RF-82's or RF-83's if you wanted an all around speaker that does most everything.

You just don't want the drivers so far apart that you run into comb-filtering...I believe the basic rule of thumb is an interdriver spacing no greater than 1/2 wavelength. At 1kHz, that comes to 6 inches.

Doc, make that 1/4 wavelength for best coupling, center to center inter-driver spacing; or within 1/8 wavelength from an adjacent wall surface. [;)]

piR2,

6" driver 3x3x 3.14159 = 28.27, 2 of those is 56"

12" driver 6x6x3.14159 - 113.10

DJK is correct- a single 12" driver is about TWICE the flat cone area as two 5"

I've done the math on Ref series. 2x10 EQUALS 3x8 so the big Ref towers are fairly similar in that regard.

So they should only be used in the Artic? [*-)]

In English, any time you have more than one driver doing the same thing you have a better chance of receiving varying signals to your ears. First each speaker is a different distance from your ear. And second, if there are any varriations in performace, each cone will not be vibrating identically.

Getting multiple signals is NOT a good thing.

IMO - Use a single driver whenever you can.

JM

Now you have me worried. I opted to get a second identical subwoofer. I have them set up as master/slave. Do I have much to worry about as to polar response?

Would the subs sound better in Alaska or Antartica as opposed to Baltimore? I am willing to move for the sake of the sound.

I have them set up as master/slave. Do I have much to worry about as to polar response?

Would the subs sound better in Alaska or Antartica as opposed to Baltimore?

Roc, I think they would sound better in Miami, where Dominatrics goes over big in the southbeach community.