large Woofer vs 2 Smaller ones?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you need a larger home theater? A 6" speaker in multiples still makes a poor woofer...The thinking goes...they make for a fast woofer excursion.....But a 10" with 3" voice coil can keep up with the best of them....I prefer a good 12" like the JBL 252G with dual VC. differencial drive., fast and powerful.

piR2,

6" driver 3x3x 3.14159 = 28.27, 2 of those is 56"

12" driver 6x6x3.14159 - 113.10

DJK is correct- a single 12" driver is about TWICE the flat cone area as two 5"

I've done the math on Ref series. 2x10 EQUALS 3x8 so the big Ref towers are fairly similar in that regard.

ah colter but the rf-83 are much bigger external dimension wise so there is much higher volume per cone surface area

Now you have me worried. I opted to get a second identical subwoofer. I have them set up as master/slave. Do I have much to worry about as to polar response?

Would the subs sound better in Alaska or Antartica as opposed to Baltimore? I am willing to move for the sake of the sound.

The subs would certainly sound better on Venus! How far apart do you have them right now?

Just to clerify... Two compression drivers in a horn (Jubilee) is not an issue since you are listening to one horn. Not at all the same as two direct radiating woofers.

As for subs, give it a try. I have two subs but they are next to each other in the same corner. When subs conflict you will hear serious cancellations in your sound. They are hard to mis on a sweep.

JM

What you all think are the advantages of 2 smaller woofers vs one large one?

I once asked Roy something similar and as I recall his answer (paraphrased and regarding the Jubilee)

With 2 12" drivers we have more surface area than 1 15" driver. Also, the 2 12"s will have to move LESS to move the same air as a single 15". Moving less also means less distortion.

The Jubilees with it's two 12" drivers has 1/3'rd the distortion as the Khorn and it's single 15" driver.

A 6 inch speaker is only about 5 inches = approx 20 sq inches A 10 inch speaker is about 9 inches = approx 64 sq inches A 12 inch speaker is about 10 3/4 inches =approx 91 sq inches A 15 inch speaker is about 13 3/4 inches = approx 148 sq inches

There would be an error in the above figures, because we are not talking flat surfaces, but they should still be 'ballpark'.

Larry

ok...that explains why the bose 901's sound so good.

collectively the 9 drivers they have the area of a 15 inch with the advantage of better beaming profile due to their individual small size drivers.

Bose 901 has 4 1/2 inch driver times 9, but the actual driver is probably less than 4 inches = 12 sq inches X 9 = approx 108 sq inches... not equal to a 15 inch speaker You are comparing 1 sweet orange with 9 lemons!! Smile!

Larry

Bose 901 has 4 1/2 inch driver times 9, but the actual driver is probably less than 4 inches = 12 sq inches X 9 = approx 108 sq inches... not equal to a 15 inch speaker You are comparing 1 sweet orange with 9 lemons!!

Larry

A spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down..... Oh wait I thought this was Mary Poppins

So if we had a cluster of tweeeter drivers in a circle going into one horn that would work too?

In a straight horn, the high frequency beaming is usually determined by the size of the throat. In theory you could have as many drivers as you wanted firing into a common throat. However, you quickly run into overloading issues when you do things like that.

So if we had a cluster of tweeeter drivers in a circle going into one horn that would work too?

JJK

Tried that with MCM series horn, the MTM- 4 K55's into a manifold. You get into other issues when you load a single throat with multiple sources.

In a straight horn, the high frequency beaming is usually determined by the size of the throat. In theory you could have as many drivers as you wanted firing into a common throat. However, you quickly run into overloading issues when you do things like that.

If you are interested in this concept, may I suggest you investigate Renkus Heinz' elegant coentrant horn topology.

Bose 901 has 4 1/2 inch driver times 9, but the actual driver is probably less than 4 inches = 12 sq inches X 9 = approx 108 sq inches... not equal to a 15 inch speaker You are comparing 1 sweet orange with 9 lemons!! Smile!

Larry

Nine spoiled lemons, I might add.

...and with a lot of lemon seeds.