Harvest Time

• Moderators

Before leaving for Indy we harvested about fifty ears of corn, but our tomato plants didn't have one red tomato when we left. We got back into town Tuesday and finally got around to checking our vegetable garden. It needed some serious attention, as you can see from the pic below. We have ten tomato plants in a raised bed. Even with all the tomatoes in the pic below the bushes are still loaded with green tomatoes. Looks like tomorrow we will be checking on the corn, watermelons and honeydew melons.

post-20052-13819338612412_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Kaiser,

We always eat plenty of fresh tomatoes during harvest time, but of course with this many we will be freezing some for use in pasta sauce throughout the year. These tomotoes were grown using no fertilizer, no pesticides and no fungicides. You can actually pick them straight out of the garden and eat them. Sun warmed tomatoes with salt and pepper, yea you're right!!!!

• Moderators

Kaisar,

As soon as it cools off a little bit we would like to have a "Southern Hoedown". In a couple of weeks I am going to try to get a thread going to see who all would be interested and try to get a weekend that would work for everyone!!!

Kaisar,

As soon as it cools off a little bit we would like to have a "Southern Hoedown". In a couple of weeks I am going to try to get a thread going to see who all would be interested and try to get a weekend that would work for everyone!!!

Well, I'm a Southern Hoe and I'm Down with That! [:P]

We have a new member from Greenville, Rotorhead...maybe he'd like to fly down. Christy, you said "as soon as it cools off a bit"...you mean Halloween?[:D]

Those tomatoes make me sooo hungry...we can't get decent tomatoes in the stores here, except Publix and they're from overseas....go figure... My soil here is about one foot of sandy loam over pure sand, growing vegetables except in containers doesn't work.

• Moderators

Around Halloween would be fun. We could possibly do a hay ride as part of the Hoe Down. I talked to JWCullison about having the event here, or possibly renting a small reception hall. Rental rates are usually pretty reasonable in our area. I would really like to have it here.

There is a Comfort Inn, Days Inn and a locally owned motel in town, rates range from $50 - $80 a night, and our 6 acres couild accomodate those who might want to "camp out".

Boomac, we have talked about doing this once or twice before and I would really like to see it happen.

Boom, I thought you were located around Biloxi, but dtel says no. Where are you?

Kaisar,

Well, I'm a Southern Hoe and I'm Down with That! [:P]

We have a new member from Greenville, Rotorhead...maybe he'd like to fly down. Christy, you said "as soon as it cools off a bit"...you mean Halloween?[:D]

Those tomatoes make me sooo hungry...we can't get decent tomatoes in the stores here, except Publix and they're from overseas....go figure... My soil here is about one foot of sandy loam over pure sand, growing vegetables except in containers doesn't work.

try grapes, they love the sand

Try Experimenting with some fruit salsa. They can be great!

Here in Austin they have around 3 hot sauce festivals a year and the fruit salsa, or Jellys with peppers are really good! Put some cream cheese and peppered jelly or fruit salsa on crackers or toast and enjoy!

I found these off the net

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Fruit-Salsa/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fruit-Salsa/Detail.aspx

you can find many more online.

some are great on top of grilled meats.

I really miss gardening. Just haven't gotten anything planted since moving back to the city. Now on the FARM, that was as different story. I used to have a plot about 50x 150 full of garden produce. Nothing like fresh Indiana sweet corn! [:P]