Harvest Time

Returning to late on this one[:o] Hmm, a Hoedown with corn-WALLS[;)] It should taste as good as it sounds[:D]

I don't know about his salsa but Seti makes a fine batch of hot sauce, this was passed down by his late and might I add great father Mr. Bob. RIP (He also smoked a fine cigar[:P])

Oct time frame sounds good as I'll need that long to soften the little lady up[:|]

I always knew you had nice tomatoes, Christy.[;)]

My 'maters are still green (one plant each Purple Cherokee, Striped German, Pineapple, and Black Brandywine), but we just tonight enjoyed our first Blue Lake beans! YUM! We also have peppers, basil, cillantro, carrots, beets, arugula...

I envy you having such a harvest this early in the summer. It will be a month before I can fill up a kitchen counter like that. Our basil is tasting pretty good though (just ask the Japanese Beatles). Can't wait for tomato and fresh buffalo mozzarella salads with basil, salt, and olive oil every night with dinner. In August and September we will be making gallons of sauce to last over the winter. One of the benefits of a marrying an Italian.

- Jim

I call the SpiderMan Room! (THanks Buddy!)

Canned salsa can be great, my exgf used to make it. We'd grow onions, garlic, roma tomatoes, and cilantro- use LOTS of cilantro, it kills any bitterness in the tomatos and smoothes it out.

I think you'd want to use the pressure cooker method of canning tomatoes, not just hot water bath. Check with your local extension agent or 4H group.

Michael

• Moderators

"I call the SpiderMan Room! (THanks Buddy!)"

Michael,

The SpiderMan Room is now an "ArmyMan Room", but Buddy said he would do anything for you, including giving up his room for as long as you would like to stay!

• 1 month later...

I envy you having such a harvest this early in the summer. It will be a month before I can fill up a kitchen counter like that. Our basil is tasting pretty good though (just ask the Japanese Beatles). Can't wait for tomato and fresh buffalo mozzarella salads with basil, salt, and olive oil every night with dinner. In August and September we will be making gallons of sauce to last over the winter. One of the benefits of a marrying an Italian.

- Jim

Bumping myself.

TOMATOES ARE IN!

post-17373-13819344042136_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Wow Flann that it is a nice looking plate you've got going there. Most of our tomato bushes are still alive....but we won't be seeing anymore tomatoes unless those plants start reproducing. It's been too hot for the tomato plants to produce for over a month and half [:(]

• Moderators

Pepper and tomatoes are about the same. We have found that around 90 degrees they stop setting fruit. That temperature does vary a little depending on the variety....but generally speaking in the hottest part of summer tomatoes and peppers stop producing.

Tomatoes are also sensitive to consistently low nighttime temperatures (below 50 F). Also, you don't want to water them too often, or fertilize them once they get good sized (otherwise they'll put all their energy into foliage, not fruit).

- Jim

Bumping myself.

TOMATOES ARE IN!

"One of the benefits of a marrying an Italian" Indeed Flannj, you are a lucky man. This and Spinich are my two favorite salads 4 sure[;)]