OK, How Many of You Have Your iPhones?

BEC

The internet speed tested out at 128K, basically edge, might be a NYC limit, has anyone tested and gotten higher?

I have heard reports of up to 200k. Haven't tested mine.

Bob 

I'd pay ya $500 for the Setter,  but not the IPhone!   I'm taking the "wait and see" approach!  So Bob,  did you stand in line for 20 hours too?[:|]

Heck no!!  Just went into the AT&T store here on Saturday morning and bought one.  They got 75 at the store here in Russellville, AR (Population about 23,000) and still had 25 left after the frenzy on Friday night.

I should have picked up a few to sell on eBay.  eBay said that about 2700 sold over the weekend on auctions at an average price of $730.00 according to CNN. 

Bob 

I'd love to get the iPhone but for me the problem is the wireless service you are restricted to (ATT).  We have that for our phones at work and it just flat our sucks out here.  We have the same complaints nationwide, dropped calls, very spotty service and the worlds worst voice mail service.  We have filed numerours corporate level complaints to no avail.  I use Verizon for my personal wireless service and it is flawless.  Now if Apple gets their head out of their ascii and allow multiple services to use the phone I'd seriously consider it, but shy of that I'll have to pass.  Anyway congrats on the acquisition Bob I am envious to some degree.

Rumor is that the iPhone is exclusive to AT&T for five years.  Supposedly only T-Moble and AT&T are able to provide the service to the iPhone.  I believe that the roll-out of the iPhone in Germany will be T-Mobile.

I believe that those two companies are the only ones in the US that support GSM and that is what most of the rest of the world uses and what the iPhone needs.

Bob

Rumor is that the iPhone is exclusive to AT&T for five years. Supposedly only T-Moble and AT&T are able to provide the service to the iPhone. I believe that the roll-out of the iPhone in Germany will be T-Mobile.

I believe that those two companies are the only ones in the US that support GSM and that is what most of the rest of the world uses and what the iPhone needs.

Bob

Sprint and Verizon = cdma

I'd pay ya $500 for the Setter, but not the IPhone! I'm taking the "wait and see" approach! So Bob, did you stand in line for 20 hours too?[:|]

Heck no!! Just went into the AT&T store here on Saturday morning and bought one. They got 75 at the store here in Russellville, AR (Population about 23,000) and still had 25 left after the frenzy on Friday night.

I should have picked up a few to sell on eBay. eBay said that about 2700 sold over the weekend on auctions at an average price of $730.00 according to CNN.

Bob

Did you get the 500 dollar model or the 600 dollar, I remember the 600 dollar phone was only found at the apple store?

I'd pay ya $500 for the Setter, but not the IPhone! I'm taking the "wait and see" approach! So Bob, did you stand in line for 20 hours too?[:|]

Heck no!! Just went into the AT&T store here on Saturday morning and bought one. They got 75 at the store here in Russellville, AR (Population about 23,000) and still had 25 left after the frenzy on Friday night.

I should have picked up a few to sell on eBay. eBay said that about 2700 sold over the weekend on auctions at an average price of $730.00 according to CNN.

Bob

Did you get the 500 dollar model or the 600 dollar, I remember the 600 dollar phone was only found at the apple store? 

Jay,

They had both models at the AT&T store.  I bought the 8 GB and my son bought the 4 GB version.  The AT&T sales people really push selling $600 8 GB version and act heartbroken when someone wants the 4 GB $500 version.  I expect that attitude has something to do with the SPIFF.

Bob

Apple makes very cool gear. My boss got one but I'll wait till the price drops :)

seti, The price probably won't drop, but the features will improve (just like iPods).

Bob, I am impressed.

Ten highest-radiation cell phones (United States)

Manufacturer and model

SAR level
(digital)

1. Motorola V195s

2. Motorola Slvr L6

3. Motorola Slvr L2

4. Motorola C290

5a. Samsung SGH-C417

5b. Motorola V365

5c. RIM BlackBerry Curve (aka BlackBerry 8300)

8a. Palm Treo 700p (Sprint)

8b. Palm Treo 700p (Verizon)

8c. Motorola Slvr L7e

I've been meaning to come here to either start a thread or find a thread. Thanks Bob! I've not read all the posts yet, just wanted to say I've been drooling for this since January. I don't have or really need a cell phone but my husband does. Gets it from work as well as the service. Has a simple semi-webish Samsung on Sprint EVDO which he tethers to his laptop when in need. I've been begging him non-stop to do what it takes to get one. Since his company does Sprint, it's a bit tricky. He'd have to turn in his phone, get an iPhone, then pay Sprint, then get reimbursed. A bit tricky. I insisted we go check them out despite both of us being sold on it sight unseen...... It's just as magical in person as in the commercials. God bless Apple.

One issue is we did a speed test on his EVDO cell last night and came up with 596 kbps. Compared to the 150-ish avg for the ramped up EDGE, it might be painful to downgrade in speed. Then again, what's worse? A high-speed phone that does the internet so crappily that it's semi-useless? Or a slow iPhone on Edge that does 'real' webpages? There's a video test of a Treo? running 3g EVDO vs. iPhone's EDGE on iPhonePOV.com where the iPhone was basically beating out the 3g. No matter what, I'm going to get one of these bad boys in my house if it kills me! Will be back later to read the thread and ask Bob questions! CONGRATS BOB!

Bob - How is the sound quality with the iPod through the stock earphones? 

Lisa,

I am not really an earphone person.  Just don't listen much that way.  I did try them on a couple of tunes and that sounded pretty good to me.  Every part of the iPod function of the iphone is supposed to be better than the ipod.  I expect to see a standalone ipod soon with the iphone look and feel.

Bob