OK, How Many of You Have Your iPhones?

BEC

Some interesting reading, especially for those that are considering getting an iPhone. This is a very comprehensive review of the iPhone on the iLounge site. Interesting reading indeed. It is generally positive, but there are some caveats and quirks with it that hopefully Apple will address in future revisions (for example, why the hell did they not just include the iChat client for those that want instant messaging instead of the stupid SMS Text tool, and then AT&T wanting to charge another $10 to $20/month for texting?). They give it a "B+ (Recommended)" rating.

Personally, I am sticking with Verizon, so it does not look like an iPhone is going to be in my near future anytime soon.

Also to add:

I see that iLounge site also has a pretty nice little "First Looks" write-up of the Klipsch iGroove SXT.

The iPhone looks pretty snazzy parked in it:

6.jpg

It's my understanding the $60 AT&T plan includes 200 text messages a month which is about 6.66 messages a day. I guess I would just use email myself. Apple will add their iChat when they're ready but till then, there's a few 3rd parties that sound pretty good. The iPhone looks good in that iGroove.

What I didn't realize till yesterday was there's no video-out like the iPod has. I imagine that might be a software update?? IDK enough about this but always thought it would be nice to tether the iPhone to a TV if stuck in a hotel, etc. to watch your vids/shows on the TV. Further, I had a fantasy (if/when my husband got one) of plugging it into the navigation screen in his car to plop the google satellite, net, videos onto it. I guess the iPod can do this with some supporting gear, but not the iPhone (yet). Would anyone know if the lack of Video-Out can be added with a software update or if it's a physical hardware deal? I mean, say you have a cool video on your iPhone and are going to a friend's house for dinner and want to show them. One could just plug the phone into the TV to show it. Wouldn't that be cool?

What I didn't realize till yesterday was there's no video-out like the iPod has. I imagine that might be a software update?? IDK enough about this but always thought it would be nice to tether the iPhone to a TV if stuck in a hotel, etc. to watch your vids/shows on the TV. Further, I had a fantasy (if/when my husband got one) of plugging it into the navigation screen in his car to plop the google satellite, net, videos onto it. I guess the iPod can do this with some supporting gear, but not the iPhone (yet). Would anyone know if the lack of Video-Out can be added with a software update or if it's a physical hardware deal? I mean, say you have a cool video on your iPhone and are going to a friend's house for dinner and want to show them. One could just plug the phone into the TV to show it. Wouldn't that be cool?

its not easy to do on your acura tl. what year is it? if you want to watch something you have to put it in reverse and hold the brake. if its a 06 or 07

Jay - It's an '06.

Well, we got one last night (OK, hubby did but it's still MINE). Activation was insanely easy and it sync'd all his contacts, bookmarks, etc. pristinely. This thing gets more remarkable each time I see it and we kept finding amazing things it does that's not been written about much. Little things. It's super-smart. No manual needed - didn't have to read a single thing about how to activate/setup/use.

We got this case for it in black and it fits perfectly http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/protective-cover-cl59019 When I'm playing with it, I question needing a laptop. Crazy.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I too have an iPhone, and also got the incase, to help with grip.  After two-three weeks of use though, I now do not have any screen coverings or cases in use.  I only have it in my pocket with no keys/change, so there isn't any type of scratching on the screen at all.
In regards to the case itself though, it does become a bit stretchy, and not quite as snug after some use, but it does still provide that extra grip I was looking for right away for fear of dropping it!

I am new to the forums, and thought I would say hello.  I think to compliment the iPhone I will be saving for the Custom-1 series Klipsch headphones, and then similarly get the Shure iPhone adapter so I can take calls with the Klipsch headphones, and likewise my car stereo.  

A bit about myself as it's my first post:  
I recently graduated from a small private college in Iowa, (Wartburg College), and seeing as how I was excited for the iPhone and a lifelong Apple user, [ all 23 yrs. of age :-) ] I applied to work for Apple in Austin, TX.  I was excited one day to get a call from an Apple rep. inquring about working for Apple.  Long story short, I took a job with Apple as an iPhone Support Representative at their call center in Austin.  I don't work for Apple anymore; as much as I enjoyed helping others, I enjoy the creative end of being a mac user, and using Final Cut Studio, etc.; likewise I think I would enjoy being more of a consultant to find the right solution for customers and showing them what Apple products can DO, not how to fix them on those rare circumstances they aren't working up to par, (over the phone all day nonetheless; I enjoy hands on 1on1 with people.)

Now I am back in Iowa doing IT work and video editing/media work.  (Closer to family/friends for the time being), I miss Austin, and everything it offered, and can't wait to get back.  
         Sidenote: I enjoyed reading about the trip to the Klipsch Facility some lucky few got to attend here on the forums, how does one go about attending such an event?

Cubs23: Welcome to the forum, lots of good folk & info here. Looks like you get to go playoff hunting assuming you're a Cubs fan. I'm told the Klipsch headphones are incredible. The Klipsch Pilgrimage has been an annual
event for a few years now & anyone is invited I believe.

Hello all,

likewise I think I would enjoy being more of a consultant to find the right solution for customers and showing them what Apple products can DO, not how to fix them on those rare circumstances they aren't working up to par, (over the phone all day nonetheless; I enjoy hands on 1on1 with people.)

rare circumstances?.................... Apples break down as much as any other products..... even more I would say.

First, go Cubs indeed!

Jay, I guess I do not have any data to back up my claim as far as breaking down goes, I was thinking more along the lines of just problems in general; which probably 95% of the time I would imagine are related to viruses/spyware on Windows machines.  I guess not having to deal with it yet as a mac user is a benefit I am willing to accept for a niche/lower market share.   

But yes, a computer is a computer, and can break just as easily as another.
How is your phone holding up?  Mine is still rockin', but I wish I could set my own sounds for SMS/email alerts etc. not just ringtones now; and I can't wait to try the wi-fi store.

Oh I don't have an iphone, its nice but do I need it? Nah, my phone is adequate, motorola slvr.

Also I know apples break down as much or such from working at an apple store..... some of the apple genii left and found work at ibm or dell and found it easier.

Just remember cool design does not facilitate easy repair, most likely its more cramp and have heat issues. The ipod and iphone have the metal back for a reason (heatsink) but it also looks cool.

Ryno fan indeed, went to his hall of fame induction in Cooperstown.  I am actually named after him too.

Jay, I had the slvr before the iPhone too, and although $400 is still a bit of money to be dropping on a phone, once you have it, it really does make you like your phone.  Perhaps I should stay away from the kool-aid for awhile, haha.

Good points though about design/repair.  I cant judge too much since I have never been too much into the harware aspect, except being able to see the difference between a Dell tower and the Mac Pro tower; the Mac does look clean on the inside.

One thing I like to ask too is if anyone has any good DVD recommendations for surround sound?  One of my personal favorites is House of Flying Daggers.  Let me know of any and I'll Netflix them up!

I do not know about the newer imacs but I assume its the same since th design is not much changed. The imacs had heat issues since its like a laptop with a bigger screen. The biggest thing that erred me from not buying one was that it was slot loaded fan which is no where as efficient and powerful as the standard fans.

Oh I don't have an iphone, its nice but do I need it? Nah, my phone is adequate, motorola slvr.

Also I know apples break down as much or such from working at an apple store..... some of the apple genii left and found work at ibm or dell and found it easier.

Just remember cool design does not facilitate easy repair, most likely its more cramp and have heat issues. The ipod and iphone have the metal back for a reason (heatsink) but it also looks cool.

I can only speak from my experience. I own both, Windows laptop for work at home, and Dell desktop at work. Apple Imac at home for regular home use. That said, if I had my choice of one over the other, it is Mac all the way. Not for the hardware as much as the OS. It is much more intuitive and seamless with it's aps than any Microsoft OS I've used. This is just my opinion.

I used to build my own Windows machines for gaming etc, and that was very satisfying though, if you are into it. As I get older I just want to plug it in and use it, and that is what Apple is close to getting at. Also I have owned pre OSX Apples and they weren't near as good as the current offerings.

• 9 years later...