Does anyone happen to know.....

maxg

My buddy has a new Carrier Infinity central heat and air system. The other system he was looking at from Trane. Carrier offered a $ 2000 rebate on their systsem so he went with them. This is for the whole house so it is not what Max is looking for. Later Bill

OK - I am going to look at (listen to) Sharp, Panasonic, Sanyo and LG - wall mounted with the external box.

Interesting the report on the LG being quiet. I bought an LG refridgerator for the holiday home and it is totally silent. As it cost about a fifth of the Amana we have at home that really P's me off - the Amana is a 747 on a take off run.

LG's are cheap too - probably assembled by abused children who get $1 an hour or something - I dont think I want to look too closely....

Here ya go Maxy my boy,

This is a picture of a window unit, with supplemental support......

Great picture Gilbert!

Central air was not all that common in the US until the late 60s/early 70s unless you had forced air heating and the related ductwork in place. When I was a kid, we had hot water heat running through pipes along the baseboards and each summer my father would drag out the 200+ lb A/C window units and install thm throughout the house. I wasn't worthy so only my sister had one in her bedroom. I just sweated. We did have a nice whole-house fan cut into the ceiling upstairs that pulled the hot air into the attic as Fini described. It worked really well.

To this day, me father blames his bad back on those window units. Twice a year for about 18 years he lugged about 5 of those babies in and out of the windows, up and down the 15 steps to the basement. They were VERY loud but did a more than adequate job cooling the house.

We have central air in our house now but many homes in our neighborhood (circa 1963) still use window units or nothing at all. The central air in our house was not added until the mid-70s even though the ductwork was always there. We finally replaced our 30+ year old unit 2 years ago. The newer units are much more efficient and it only take a few years to recoup the cost. The REALLY efficient units are great but they're very expensive and you must replace the ductwork leading to the furnace.

Good luck Max.

Here ya go Maxy my boy,

Gilbert, that not supplememtal support that the patented vibration and sound isolation system!

Okay John, I was eye'ing you avitar and gotta ask, .... what model Ducati do you have?

Here ya go Maxy my boy,

it would have been too much work to put in the standard L-bracket system afixed with 4 screws.

Here ya go Maxy my boy,

Hmm, is that pile of stuff resting on a probably non-functioning central A/C unit? Sort of like those types that put a working TV on top of a dead one and when the fresh one fails, stack a third one on top of it. "Why so many TVs?" "Just the top one works and it was too much trouble to take the other two outside."

On the quiet computer part... I have always custom built my PCs myself. I have found that even the quietest CPU fans are still pretty loud ( about 20-30 db's I think) especially if you have a cheap case. If you go liquid cooling you generally need a bigger louder fan for the radiator so that route isn't any better. There is fan-less power supplies out there but I have never tried them. If you buy a nice expensive case that would probably help the most because they will put in rubber seals and what not to stop the noise a bit. Also all the case windows I have had have always vibrated so I would avoid them. From what I have looked at, Zalman seems to make the quietest and best performing fans. I also found that you don't really need all the case fans. When I unplugged them in my computer the temp only went up a few degrees on the processor and memory. Cleaning out the dust in the case helps a lot to keep cool as well. The temp in my computer went down 15 degrees celcius just from cleaning out dust. Video card fans are also quite loud and can sometimes be replaced with better more quiet fans. I guess it just depends on how much money you want to spend to make it quiet.

Max,

From a practical basis, now might be the perfect time to listen to your noisy records... the ones that will not sound better when you have a quiet home.

Maybe you could host a "Noisy Record Party" so your friends can enjoy theirs' , too. Do you have a spare "stunt" cartridge? Just trying to help.[:^)]