Perry Mason's stereo

Daddy Dee

Last night I watched an old Perry Mason episode, The Case of the Deadly Double (1958) and noticed some interesting looking gear on the background of the office set. It looks like there is a window/glass room partition It looks like it would be a window to the outside, but there is some kind of wall unit with two good size loudspeakers visible. Looks to be 12 or 15 inch woofers with no grills.

Anyone else ever noticed this? I'm going to keep a look out when I see other episodes. Had never noticed this detail on the set. Unfortunately, it is all kind of dark and there is no other gear distinguishable, at least what I could see.

On another gear in the shot there is an old episode of CSI where Grissom goes home and starts music on some Mac gear. The speakers are unrecognizable to me, something tall narrow bookshelf size.

Product placement in the TV and film industry is a huge business.

They will have the best product that advertising dollars pay for. One heck of a criteria.

...And Andy Griffith drove Fords...although not by his, nor even Barnie's, choice. [;)]

But the Perry Mason series is great... as are Have Gun Will Travel, Wild Wild West, The Andy Griffith Show, The Addams Family, Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Twilight Zone, the original and resurrected The Outer Limits, and a few more...

Oh! Those!

I am not sure that they are speakers. At first I was looking for some sort of enclosure!

Especially in the lower photo, 'it' appears to be a decorative routed disk present for architectural interest...after all, you know how trendy the 50's were!

Are they speakers?

post-23237-13819338868794_thumb.png

Product placement in the TV and film industry is a huge business.

They will have the best product that advertising dollars pay for. One heck of a criteria.

...And Andy Griffith drove Fords...although not by his, nor even Barnie's, choice. [;)]

But the Perry Mason series is great... as are Have Gun Will Travel, Wild Wild West, The Andy Griffith Show, The Addams Family, Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Twilight Zone, the original and resurrected The Outer Limits, and a few more...

Add to the list, Chrysler vehicles on The Shield.

Yeh, I've been having a hard time imagining what kind of speakers they could be. Looking at them more closely, I think you are right that they are some kind of architectural feature. Maybe door knobs if those are glass doors opening on to the balcony.

Well, I'm sort of a rosanna rosanna danna.

Yeh, I've been having a hard time imagining what kind of speakers they could be. Looking at them more closely, I think you are right that they are some kind of architectural feature. Maybe door knobs if those are glass doors opening on to the balcony.

Well, I'm sort of a rosanna rosanna danna.

Hey Roseanne ... ummmm,, DaddyDee .... those are not speakers but as you said tthey are some sort of art deco-ish architectural feature between the solid lower part of the balcony wall and the upper hand rail part. Look here: http://www.perrymasontvseries.com/pmo_annex.htm

Interesting observation tho.

peace, mitch

Hey Roseanne ... ummmm,, DaddyDee .... those are not speakers but as you said tthey are some sort of art deco-ish architectural feature between the solid lower part of the balcony wall and the upper hand rail part. Look here: http://www.perrymasontvseries.com/pmo_annex.htm

Interesting observation tho.

peace, mitch

I was looking at those pictures myself and I was about to say the same thing you did. Those are definitely not "speakers" or "door knobs" or "vents" or "fans". They are indeed an architectural feature of the balcony railing outside the window.