STOLEN KLIPSCHORN

DRBILL

It's true. And I would have made book on it being impossible. It was taken from an isolated building where a local band practices. It is a mid-50s model, plywood stained medium brown. It has the radial mid with wooden sides and resin top and bottom. Stephens woofer, Retrofitted tweeter. There is no visible S# anywhere. The only place that there is anything that identifies the unit is the crossover on which is written the value of the inductors and 195-something. I just don't remember.

The band lost all their instruments and PA gear. The K-horn was sort of mine. My son used it with a Jenson 15" bass-reflex enclosure with a large A-L cellular mid and an E-V tweeter. The crossover was from a Klipsch Shorthorn. This unit was also sort of mine and also stolen.

Keep your eyes peeled. It'll be hard to fence. I'm sure the crooks wouldn't have known what they had. It is probably in a gully, floating slowly to the Gulf of Mexico thanks to our unusual rains.

DRBILL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear that. Man, I would have lost that bet, too. It's sort of hard to imagine someone even being willing to carry off something like that. One would think they'd just be interested in more conventional looking PA and other gear.

Keeping a watch on Ebay is a good idea. That gear might well show up there.

Bill,

I am on it! Tell me (generally) what part of town it was in, I bet it ends up on Craigslist or at Trader's village, and I might be persuaded to go just to find out.

I had a storage locker broken into in the Midcities a couple of years ago, and the police were negative (-) help - if they can't make the news and there is no blood, you haven't got a chance. Unless it is Military Gun Supply and you drive through the front doors!

K

....the police were negative (-) help - if they can't make the news and there is no blood, you haven't got a chance.

I'm a Detective Lieutenant and can relate to this frustration, expecially if you don't get any feedback or satisfaction that at least some effort is being made. That's the biggest problem with law enforcement - we just fail to keep victims informed on what we are doing.... I deal with the "nobody cares" problems every day, and it's not fair to the victims when they feel that way. Shame; the "brethren" do, however, on ocassion, need some "prodding".

Dr. Gonzo[:P] is, however, on the right track.

In the immortal words of Private Tommy Atkins, "The Lord 'elps them, whot 'elps themselves".... If you have the time, call the pawnshops in the local area, tell the owners, and tell the owners to call "Officer Jones (or whomever) at the PD who took the report. After the officer(s) who took the report get several calls, they will likely re-think the "priority of attention". Call the PD every day and ask for "progress:, or what;s being done. It's fun to watch the reaction after about a week or so...

The K'horn is worth over $300 (the magic "felony" threshold in Florida), so if you don't get the answers you want, make an appointment to see the Chief... Trust me, it's the greasy wheel that gets them squeaking.... From the law enforcement viewpoint..., that's an interesting case... has the drama for good press. Vintage speaker, church (Lord knows that attracts attention...), etc. If it's not a media show, turn it in to one. Contact the local media, etc... Why not, you have nothing to lose (they stole the stuff...), but the more folks are aware of it, the less chance of the stuff disappearing forever. If it apears to the PD that you are doing what they are being paid to do (but failing to do...), they will feel the pain (and the heat), and likely get it in gear.....

Oh well... back to my re-reading of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (purely for academic purposes...) while I sit here pondering the absurdity of why we can't set up booby-traps for burglars....

• Moderators

What Groomlake suggests is one of your best options, IMO. The "magic threshold" in MS is $250.00 as it is in LA, I think. In any event, this burglary surely amounts to a felony crime. We have spent some time with Groomlake and his family and I can assure you the man "knows his stuff". At the very least telephone calls to the PD daily requesting a progress report will get them moving, although like Groomlake suggests it will probably take about a week.

I would definitely contact all the Pawn Shops and Flea Markets in your area as well.

Your "local" newspaper would probably be willing to give you a little coverage.

I'm going back to Max's Taverna, so I will see you guys later.

Chances are you probably know the crook! It's usually someone you know that has access and knowledge. Keep your eyes open for any new "possessions/purchases" by those close to the situation. Most of the a..holes will tell on themselves in one way or another.

Law enforcement has enough to do without running down some band equipment. It's probably a low priority case to them.

Harry

Here is the complete list that they submitted to the insurance company.

1 Mid 80's Marshall JCM800 bass series 100w amp head (Says "Marlin" on front instead of Marshall, one of a kind)
1 Mid 80's Marshall JCM800 Lead series 50w amp head
1 Early 70's Ampeg V4B 100w bass amp head (Haltom City Booze sticker on front)
1 Late 90's Marshall Plexi Superlead 100w amp head
1 Mid 80's Marshall JCM800 Bass Series Speaker Cabinet 2x10 1x15 Wheat Grill ("The Me-Thinks, Haltom City" painted on back of each speaker cabinet)
1 Late 70's Ampeg SVT 8x10 Speaker Cabinet Silver/Blue grill ("The Me-Thinks, Haltom City" painted on back of each speaker cabinet)
1 Late 80's 1962 model straight Marshall 4x12 Speaker cabinet Black Grill ("The Me-Thinks, Haltom City" painted on back of each speaker cabinet)
1 Marshall 1960v vintage slant Speaker cabinet 4x12 Black Grill ("The Me-Thinks, Haltom City" painted on back of each speaker cabinet)
1 early 80's fender concert combo amp 4x10 Silver Grill Black Face
1 early 70's fender rhodes 73 concert electric piano
1 early 70's fender rhodes concert electric piano speaker cabinet 4x12
2 peavey pa speaker cabinets 1x15 & horn (One missing grill on one cabinet)
1 Early 80's Ampeg b215 speaker cabinet 2x15 Silver/Blue grill (Covered in Britney Spears stickers)
1 Late 70's fender bassman 135 4x12 speaker cabinet Silver grill (Red and gold molding down each side on front)
2 shure column speaker boxes w 2x10 and 4x8
1 ross 12 channel mixer
1 90's crown 600w power amp
1 Tom Sholz Rockman Power Soak
1 90's alesis nanoverb reverb unit
1 1950's Klipsch Klipschhorn stereo speaker (Wood)
1 80's EV 15 & horn stereo speaker (Black)
1 Shure sm58 microphone
1 Korg DTR-2 digital rack tuner
1 Furman M-8 power conditioner
1 Smoke/Fog machine
1 Yamaha pa speaker 1x12 & horn + speaker stand
2 Daleletroc DanEcho Delay pedals
1 Vox distortion pedal
1 Roger Mayer voodoo distortion pedal
1 Electro-Harmonix Green Vintage big muff distortion pedal
1 Electro-Harmonix Black Russian Big muff distortion pedal
1 MXR Blue box octave pedal
1 Electro-Harmonix Small Stone pedal
1 Green Ibanex Tube Screamer pedal
1 Gibson Goldtone Channel Selecting Switch foot pedal
2006 Tama Superstar bronze mist metallic all matching 6pc drum kit w/
10x8" rack tom,
12x9" rack tom, serial#059080
13x10" rack tom, serial#065513
16x16" floor tom, serial#058861
22x20 bass drum, serial#058738
5 1/2 x 14 snare drum serial#065871
Cymbals:
14" Sabian vault hi hats
19" Sabian vault crash
20" Sabian aa medium thin crash
21" Sabian Phils choice hand hammered raw bell dry ride #000150-160 14" (Phil Collins)
Zildjian amir II hi hats
14" Zildjian amir II hi hat-top (worn logo)
16" Zildjian z custom medium crash
19" Zildjian z custom medium crash
20" Zildjian k custom ride
16" Wuhan china
1 Black Canvas Cymbal bag
1 Pacific/PDP 2-leg hi-hat stand
Tama Iron Cobra jr double bass drum pedal
DW 5000a accelerator bass drum pedal - single
Premier xpk red vinyl matching 4pcs drum kit (22", 12", 13", 16") covered in stickers in a matching mars music drum bag set
1 Chrome Premier 6.5x14 snare drum & hardshell case with assorted bells
1 Cosmic Persussion Chime set and case
1 Brown drum throne
1 Pork Pie leopard print drum throne
2 Tama cymbal stands (boom) w/ starcrest mounting
2 Pearl cymbal stands
Roadrunner 5 pc standard drumbags
1 Tama mount arm
1 18" Remo roto-tom
1 Black & red LP cowbell
1 Orange pearl clave block
1 Denon stereo reciever
1 Sony Double tape deck
1 Sony cd player single disc
1 black boom single mic stand
1 mic stand w/ goose neck top
1 short black boom mic stand
1 Latin Percussion steel drum shaker
1 Drumdial drum tuner tension style tympanic
1 Tama drum tuner tension style tympanic
1 Tama snare stand
1 Bach coronet style trumpet & mouthpiece and case
1 broken Daewoo VCR

The caper was in Haltom City, Texas (where else?!). That's a local joke. Area bands loaned them what they needed to fulfill pending gigs.

DRBILL

Dr Bill,

Did some 'checkin' round this area. Most stolen musician equipment is generally moved to larger cities to places that sell used equipment. Example: Stolen in Okeechobee, will invariably end up in Miami/ Lauderdale. Bad part is that it is packed into containers and shipped out of the country to South America. That is possible in your area. It would head south.....

Also, were there any concerts, gigs, etc. when (1) a carnival or circus was in town; (2) another "low level" band was performing somewhere in the area; (3) Anyone the band can remember that asked alot of questions or seemed inordinately interested in where the band performed or where the equipment was stored; and (I hate to say it) (4) any members of the band that left under less than favorable circumstances. The fact that all of it was taken, not just the high end items, can possibly indicate that someone wanted to really put the band "out of business". That is usually someone with an axe to grind...

That being said, make sure that the PD that took the report has at least attempted to enter the items into the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) as 'stolen'; unfortunately, they require either "unique" markings, owner applied numbers, or the serial numbers. I'd call them and ask them if the stuff has been entered into NCIC and ask them to show you that was done..... (that will get them kick started...)

IMHO, your equipment is (1) stashed somewhere nearby and is going to be offered for sale by "word of mouth" (very dangerous for the bad guys...); or (2) has been moved to Fort Worth proper, or to Dallas, etc.

You might want to FAX the list to Dallas and Fort Worth PD's to their property crimes unit with a letter of request to pass it around that division. Then send a copy to the PD that answered the complaint (makes them get going...)

Also, if you have time and a yellow pages.... Fax the list to every dealer in used musical instruments in the local area say about 200 mile radius. Same thing with the local PD, give them the list of who you FAX'd to.

Again, if it looks like you are being "forced" to do their job, you then will have the leverage when you make an appointment to see what's going on.

Trust me on this; police are human beings, if we are not "prodded" on ocassion, we tend to prioritize.... Priorities (other than homicides, armed robberies...) generally are assigned by the "radar" screen. If it's not "high profile", has public drama and/or sympathy, it ends up on the bottom of the pile.....

Hope this is of some assistance.