STOLEN KLIPSCHORN

DRBILL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the complete list that they submitted to the insurance company.

1 Mid 80's Marshall JCM800 bass series 100w amp head (Says "Marlin" on front instead of Marshall, one of a kind)

1 Mid 80's Marshall JCM800 Lead series 50w amp head

1 Early 70's Ampeg V4B 100w bass amp head (Haltom City Booze sticker on front)

1 Late 90's Marshall Plexi Superlead 100w amp head

1 Mid 80's Marshall JCM800 Bass Series Speaker Cabinet 2x10 1x15 Wheat Grill ("The Me-Thinks, Haltom City" painted on back of each speaker cabinet)

1 Late 70's Ampeg SVT 8x10 Speaker Cabinet Silver/Blue grill ("The Me-Thinks, Haltom City" painted on back of each speaker cabinet)

1 Late 80's 1962 model straight Marshall 4x12 Speaker cabinet Black Grill ("The Me-Thinks, Haltom City" painted on back of each speaker cabinet)

1 Marshall 1960v vintage slant Speaker cabinet 4x12 Black Grill ("The Me-Thinks, Haltom City" painted on back of each speaker cabinet)

1 early 80's fender concert combo amp 4x10 Silver Grill Black Face

1 early 70's fender rhodes 73 concert electric piano

1 early 70's fender rhodes concert electric piano speaker cabinet 4x12

2 peavey pa speaker cabinets 1x15 & horn (One missing grill on one cabinet)

1 Early 80's Ampeg b215 speaker cabinet 2x15 Silver/Blue grill (Covered in Britney Spears stickers)

1 Late 70's fender bassman 135 4x12 speaker cabinet Silver grill (Red and gold molding down each side on front)

2 shure column speaker boxes w 2x10 and 4x8

1 ross 12 channel mixer

1 90's crown 600w power amp

1 Tom Sholz Rockman Power Soak

1 90's alesis nanoverb reverb unit

1 1950's Klipsch Klipschhorn stereo speaker (Wood)

1 80's EV 15 & horn stereo speaker (Black)

1 Shure sm58 microphone

1 Korg DTR-2 digital rack tuner

1 Furman M-8 power conditioner

1 Smoke/Fog machine

1 Yamaha pa speaker 1x12 & horn + speaker stand

2 Daleletroc DanEcho Delay pedals

1 Vox distortion pedal

1 Roger Mayer voodoo distortion pedal

1 Electro-Harmonix Green Vintage big muff distortion pedal

1 Electro-Harmonix Black Russian Big muff distortion pedal

1 MXR Blue box octave pedal

1 Electro-Harmonix Small Stone pedal

1 Green Ibanex Tube Screamer pedal

1 Gibson Goldtone Channel Selecting Switch foot pedal

2006 Tama Superstar bronze mist metallic all matching 6pc drum kit w/

10x8" rack tom,

12x9" rack tom, serial#059080

13x10" rack tom, serial#065513

16x16" floor tom, serial#058861

22x20 bass drum, serial#058738

5 1/2 x 14 snare drum serial#065871

Cymbals:

14" Sabian vault hi hats

19" Sabian vault crash

20" Sabian aa medium thin crash

21" Sabian Phils choice hand hammered raw bell dry ride #000150-160 14" (Phil Collins)

Zildjian amir II hi hats

14" Zildjian amir II hi hat-top (worn logo)

16" Zildjian z custom medium crash

19" Zildjian z custom medium crash

20" Zildjian k custom ride

16" Wuhan china

1 Black Canvas Cymbal bag

1 Pacific/PDP 2-leg hi-hat stand

Tama Iron Cobra jr double bass drum pedal

DW 5000a accelerator bass drum pedal - single

Premier xpk red vinyl matching 4pcs drum kit (22", 12", 13", 16") covered in stickers in a matching mars music drum bag set

1 Chrome Premier 6.5x14 snare drum & hardshell case with assorted bells

1 Cosmic Persussion Chime set and case

1 Brown drum throne

1 Pork Pie leopard print drum throne

2 Tama cymbal stands (boom) w/ starcrest mounting

2 Pearl cymbal stands

Roadrunner 5 pc standard drumbags

1 Tama mount arm

1 18" Remo roto-tom

1 Black & red LP cowbell

1 Orange pearl clave block

1 Denon stereo reciever

1 Sony Double tape deck

1 Sony cd player single disc

1 black boom single mic stand

1 mic stand w/ goose neck top

1 short black boom mic stand

1 Latin Percussion steel drum shaker

1 Drumdial drum tuner tension style tympanic

1 Tama drum tuner tension style tympanic

1 Tama snare stand

1 Bach coronet style trumpet & mouthpiece and case

1 broken Daewoo VCR

The caper was in Haltom City, Texas (where else?!). That's a local joke. Area bands loaned them what they needed to fulfill pending gigs.

DRBILL

man , Bill .....

took a while o load all that ..

the thieves were very sure of themselves

look to "acquaintances "

• Moderators

Marshall may want to inject a little bit more here...but I thought the same as Duke when I read the list yesterday.

IMO, whoever "did the deed" knew what they were doing and were well acquainted with the place, the people and what was inside!!

dtel's wife is right: Statistically - 100%: Bad guys knew exactly where it was, had been there before; 90% absolutely must have known when no-one would be around; took their time to load, etc. 90% Someone familiar with the band OR Someone familiar with the building, comings and goings

Huhm...

Investigating property crimes is a challenge (and an "art"). They are the least solved of all crimes. Solve rate (means a recovery and an arrest or a suspect identified) of greater than 15% is unusual......

Good luck!!! Gotta run... Work calls, now where did they hide that body?.....

• Moderators

Marshall,

I don't get it

"....Statistically 100%: Bad guys knew exactly where it was, had been there before; 90% absolutely must have known when no-one would be around.........."

That would indicate "victims" knew "bad guys".....logical conclusion IMO is most "robberies" are insurance fraud.....??????

Or....cops do a real bad job investigating????? or.....both???????

I mean I don't want you to tell the "secrets of the trade" or anything.[;)]

Marshall,

I don't get it

"....Statistically 100%: Bad guys knew exactly where it was, had been there before; 90% absolutely must have known when no-one would be around.........."

That would indicate "victims" knew "bad guys".....logical conclusion IMO is most "robberies" are insurance fraud.....??????

I mean I don't want you to tell the "secrets of the trade" or anything.[;)]

Not insurance fraud. People, not just those in bands, may have dodgy acquaintances, who may know actual crooks, who keep an ear open for any theft opportunities.

I don't get it "....Statistically 100%: Bad guys knew exactly where it was, had been there before; 90% absolutely must have known when no-one would be around.........."

Nope, not really....

Statistically, in a "property crime" of such magniutude, it's about 100% certain that the bad guys had been there before, and had seen the property. Same reason that it would be a relative certainty (the 90%) that when they returned to do their evil deed, they knew that they would have enough time to accomplish that. Looking at the list (been looking at it repeatedly and checking eBay for the heck of it...), I must assume it had to take several hours, a box van, and at least three bad guys.

Most burglaries are certainly not fraud. It happens, on ocassion, but usually with jewelry, etc. Per a buddy in the "insurance fraud" industry..., most insurance fraud is not so much that something got stolen, it's when the victims try to jack up the value. Most insurance companies pretty much want photographs, serial numbers, etc. on higher value items before they pay a claim. That generally reduces that down...

Property crimes are, unfortunately, often the most difficult to solve. The problem is the general lack of evidence at the scene (even the stupidest burglar wears gloves...), and no witnesses... Most burglaries occur during the day when the victims are not around, at work, vacations, etc.

Most property crimes are solved by going after the property itself. All it takes, usually, is to find one piece.... then it's a matter of tracing it back.... Somebody will talk, it's human nature, and a desire by somebody in the "chain" of bad guys to fiure out a way to not go to jail. We call it the "Monty Hall Syndrome" or "let's make a deal time".

That being said, the very best criminal investigators are not usually assigned to property crimes; they are assigned to "crimes against persons" (homicides, armed robbery, rape, assaults, etc.). Why, because those crimes are of a such a compelling concern to public safety.

Putting in a very simplistic perspective: Do we want the police to spend time looking for some neighbor's VCR, or spend their time looking for the bad guys who robbed a store and shot the clerk? That whole issue is a philosophical problem and we could start a thread on "what should cops really do" that would be as long as Thebes' "whatcha listenen to?" before it died down.

All band members plus bearers and beaters have 9-5 positions, "are bald and have mortgages." They practice reliably on the weekends that they have no bookings. The "groupies" show up before the band is in tune. The insurance was the "off premises" kind that was meant to "save Christmas when the gifts were left in the back seat of the car".

My guess would be a competing band and that the gear is dumped in a ravine on the vast prairie west of here. We're talking Texas, you know.

I would wish that the Klipschorn might mysteriously appear in my front yard. It had to be among the first. I know the provenance and it has historical value. Ugly beyond belief!

I have enjoyed reading your comments and I thank you for the quality of thought that went in to all of this.

Is this a great forum, or what?! In the odd turn of events that this should be solved, I'll report back.

DRBILL

DRBill, I would look into running ads in the local (and nearer large towns) for some band equipment. Run the ad with a cell phone number with a blocked caller id, so they can't tell who they are calling. I'd wager you get a call within a week from either the culprits, or an acquaintance trying to fence the goods. Throw the chum in the water and then set the hook hard!

This probably was done by someone who knows the band, knows the value of the gear, has been to the shack, and has the wheels and confidence to spend a couple hours stealing the stuff, driving to store it, and offloading it. This was not a smash and grab operation; it was planned.

I would check out ALL the storage places in a twenty mile radius. Most everyone would be willing to check their surveillance videos on entries in the past week when it involves that level of a felony theft. Make sure any and all people paying visits to the storage places has a copy of the police report and the report # - it helps to ensure cooperation.

I would even consider regular dumpster inspections for the next couple weeks - the idiots like to either dump the hot stuff or sell it to other bands quickly. I would consider checking on the band(s) that have gigs at the same bar where jr's band has their gigs...killing the sound equipment is one way to get more employment.

Concentrate on the drum equipment - the drummers are almost always the ones who spontaneously combust - so they are the least smart ones.[*-)]

It's been a long day and I'm tired, so please bear with me when I ask "what exactly does this mean?"

Concentrate on the drum equipment - the drummers are almost always the ones who spontaneously combust - so they are the least smart ones.

I have seen Spinal Tap, so I know about their spontaneous combustion drummer history...

So they are the least smart ones? Now I can take all drummer jokes with aplomb and in the spirit of insider musicianship, but you sound serious here. Don't forget the large percentage of Klipsch owners who are drummers (percussionists, if you will).

Oldtimer, I have recovered three different sets of stolen gigging gear/sound systems from college days. Two of the three were situations where we were at live gigs and started talking to the band after noticing their drummer had a new-to-them Zildjin cymbals setup. The rest of the band could resist breaking out their new stolen gear, but the drummer had to play with the better stuff. Busted.

In three years playing in local bands, we had three guitarists, two vocalists, one bass player, and twelve drummers, so I would say I definitely a little prejudiced in regard to "normal" drummers. I would wager you aren't a normal drummer type. The smart drummer types are geniuses, are polyrhythmic, and have their shit together. Our final drummer was a great guy, and is now a practicing neurosurgeon.

Our final drummer was a great guy, and is now a practicing neurosurgeon.

Now THAT's something to think about!

Dtel wanted to be a "brain surgeon"...go figure.[:S]  Now THAT'S really something to think about!

Tell Dtel to go ahead and apply at the local hospital--he can use us for references.

• Moderators

Our final drummer was a great guy, and is now a practicing neurosurgeon.

Now THAT's something to think about!

Dtel wanted to be a "brain surgeon"...go figure.[:S] Now THAT'S really something to think about!

Tell Dtel to go ahead and apply at the local hospital--he can use us for references.

I think I will hide this thread from him, I wouldn't want him to take you up on that offer,,,,he's got a full time job just keeping my brain "straight"![;)]