Anyone here into old pickup trucks?

My wife has been driving Studebakers for 20 years. A couple of months ago we decided to to a frame up restoration on her '55 that has been her daily driver for the past decade or so. She driving a borrowed Nissan and HATES it. The Stude has a V8, 3 spd with OD and heater. NO power steering, NO power brakes, NO radio, NO power ANYTHING. And she wouldin't have it any other way--guess it's the mechanical engineer in her!!

Today the engine and transmission went back in. If all goes well, she'll be driving her truck again in 3 or 4 weeks!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

too cool, Alan ....[:)]

hope yer wife wasn't driving on those tires in the truck bed ... [:S]

Nah--those were on some temporary wheels while the originals were bead balsted and then painted a nice, deep red. Worn out bias play tires make for . . . ahem . . . "interesting" handling and braking!

Running modern, Goodyear Wrangler 215/75-15 radial truck tires--I'm all for "original," but have opted for a few touches of modernity--radial tires, a 12v system with a Delco 1-wire alternator, a dual master cylinder --when you drive something this old as daily transport you have to make some changes. . .

The motor was blueprinted and balanced by Valley Head Service here in L.A.--the original 224 was long gone when we bought the truck--it's got a 289 with the later "full flow " block--it is a 1964 "replacement" block--all Studebaker!! The Stude V8 is a GREAT engine--forged crank, solid lifters, gear driven cam--all stock! This one has a Carter WCFB 4-bbl and the original "oil bath" air filter. We had Valley Head put in all stainless valves and hardened exhaust seats.

The tranny is the original Borg Warner heavy duty T-85 with OD and the rear end is the original Dana 44 with 3.73 gears.

It's a great truck!

I second Dee's post Allan, hope to see the finished product as it appears to be coming along swimmingly[;)]

That tranny is bullet prooof and pulls like a tractor when dropped down low[:D]

Class act and what a superb color for that vintage, I love that you are rebuilding that baby for her as my wife and I walked the boys to a shave ice stand last night and mine saw a light purple VW thing and she has wanted one for a long time and she always mentions those lovely under dash AC units which always keep you awake on a long drive by dripping ice cold drops on your ankle[:o]

Just super Allan[Y]

Love that old Dodge. My wife considered a 40's pickup--even late 30's (she drools every time she sees a 1937-38 Studebaker "Coupe Express"--sort of the El Camino of it's day), but those 80-90 horse flathead engines and 4.72 gears make for top speeds in 50-60 mph range! And she wasn't interested in a hotrod, so we gravitated toward the later, 1950's trucks with "modern" V8 engines--being a Studebaker fan, she settled on the 1955 model--the last year with the clean front grill, the first year with a one piece windshield and large rear glass, the last year with the "small" pickup bed and the first year with the V8 engine--we looked for about 6-8 months before I found this truck in Claude, Texas (about 40 miles east of Amarillo)--I flew out there with a wad of cash and had the truck shipped to L.A.--the guy I bought the truck from was a wheat farmer and the truck was his grandfather's and basically never left the family farm. It was clean as a whistle when we got it, but the paint was a lacquer job and was cracking all over the place--finally this year it really started to look pretty weak, so the project began . .

Here is a pic of the '38 Studebaker Coupe Express:

38_Studebaker_Pickup_DV-06-HHC-003.jpg