Tube CD Players......

SWL

Is it possible to get the same results with a tube cd player/ ss power amp combo..............as compared to a tube pre-amp/ss power amp combo? If so, what tube cd players are worth mentioning?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can add more depth to the soundstage by using all SS but make the amp a tube amp. If you already have everything in place and just need to decide on the CD player, then Cary has a decent one and it can take the edge off of bad recordings, but I don't think the Cary was worth the money. IME, the tubed Cary CD player sounded more muddy compared to a non-tubed model (which I preferred). If possible, I think non-tube is better, but tube amp is best.

I've often wondered if there are any improved sonics for using a tube CD player if you're already running a tubed stereo amp/preamp combo...guess it couldn't hurt any and may take the edge off any bright CDs, I dunno. Like owning a tube driven phono preamp (something I'd like to do in the near future). I suppose you could never have enough tubes in your system, eh?

A decent tube CD player that's both affordable and gets rave reviews even from forum members here is the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000...seem to mate well with Klipsch and is still below a grand with upgrades (last time I looked anyway). Also the JoLida JD100 and another from Granite Audio(?). I suppose those CD and SACD players from Shanling are good choices as well. There are so many new Chinese tube CD players coming out on the market now I can't even keep up, but quality is still in question with some of them I assume.

smart question

i assume you are going direct to the power amp .??

my Jd-100 has no opamps in the output path ...[:)]

Well, I'm not really sure...........I thought I'd hook it up the same as my current cd player?????(to the reciever). The reason I'm considering this, if you remember I'm most likely gonna go with the JM Peach for a pre-amp. I've decided to use the Peach in a different room in the house just for two-channel listening. In my main room I use the system to watch a lot of concert dvd's so I don't really want to change the surround sound reciever. My cd player needs to be upgraded so that's why I'm looking into tube cd players for the music listening in that room. It would be used with RF-7's. Upgradeitis is a factor here but I'd really like to do better than the $200 Denon cd player that I have now.

Jim Tidwell's comments got me to wondering. As many of you may recall, I place source quality above all things in music listening. My own experiments over the years suggest the "bright/harsh/clincial, etc. etc." qualities associated with many CD's are mostly, if not entirely, a function of the source recording methodology. IF that is the case (and feel free to disagree...I'll just ignore you [H]), then the "mellowing" provided by tubes represents an alteration of the signal (not that there is anything wrong with that). However, this would also mean that CD's not presenting "harsh, etc." qualities on a non-tube system are being smoothed as well. Would this be desirable?

Just some lunch time mental meanderings...

Dave

I won't dare to lay a finger on why. I will just tell you that the AH Njoe Tjoeb with the upsampler just works. It is almost like a mistake. That is the cheapest part of my stereo....and stands out to make a difference.

jc

Try the AH Njoe Tjoeb with the upsampler, you can't go wrong.

Jay

Agreed. That player with the upsampler is the best deal out there.

jc

X3 ....... I agree. I did some exhaustive web research on the subject. I fought my desire to buy the exotic or beautiful looking (MHO) Shanling, even considered the joliad. There are a few others out there too that I reviewed. Long story short, The Shanling is a rip-off, both Joliad and Ah! Tjoeb are competative, but the Ah! Tjoeb with Upsampler is the sound quality winner. The Ah! Tjoeb won't win any beauty contest, but she'll beat the crap out of the competition for CD listening. The only draw back on the Ah! is that is does not support SACD format. But what it does with redbook will surely impress, no doubt about it.

You and me both Boom, I'm keeping my eyes peeled as I've seen a couple non SE's come up on A-goN in the high teens but my wallet was not right at the time but if and when I'm on one and will work with Victor for upgrading once I have one in my grubby little paws[:o]

I have read a lot of good press on that little mini max, have you heard a Ah! in comparison? I'm hoping to pick up a used VK-60, VK-D5 and running it through a Benchmark DAC 1on my LaScalla's when all is said and done for my second system (that would be my horny-tube setup[;)]LOL)

By the way and not to let this thread run off kilter too much but I'm thinking about getting tickets to go and see Petey play J-Mac here at Altel Arena as I'm sure being an exhibition game Mac will be all over the judges on calls which should be fun. Can't imagine John would stand a chance against Pete. I see Rog made two more list with Mr. Borg this weekend and is the man to beat right now for sure[<:o)]

Comparing the Jolida and the Ah, money aside, which is better? If the Ah has better sq would the Jolida with a tube upgrade win me over? Correct me if I'm wrong, seems like the Jolida is more attractive and built better but in the end sq must prevail.

Comparing the Jolida and the Ah, money aside, which is better? If the Ah has better sq would the Jolida with a tube upgrade win me over? Correct me if I'm wrong, seems like the Jolida is more attractive and built better but in the end sq must prevail.

Money aside - that's a good question. I guess that I'm biased (no pun intended), but my answer would be that there are a few of us in here that run modded Jolidas (mine is by Underwood - stage 1) and cannot imaging needing or wanting anything more. Then again, I've never heard an Ah! with an upsampler, so maybe I'm missing the cat's meow. I can just tell you that the modded JD100 is built like a tank and has all the top end that I'll ever need.

If memory serves, the only comments that I've read in here comparing the Ah!/upsampler to the Jolida were to the stock Jolida - and that's not really a fair fight. Then again, maybe someone will correct me.

Here's the underwood page - if you scroll down you'll see the level one and two mods for the Jolida JD100.

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/mod_jolida.html

I've seen modded units go for far less on the pre-owned market.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Carl.