Tube CD Players......

SWL

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, makes sense. I've got some cheap analog wires lying around somewhere but are there some that you guys would recommend?

That sounds like a can of worms for any forum. I'm not touching it.

If you are trying to test the difference in sound between the DAC and output sections of your player versus pre/pro then by all means, hook up some RCA cables and try it.

I prefer the sound from my player over my pre/pro but I keep both connections hooked up for the certain times when bass management becomes an issue (ie, if I want to annoy someone with the subwoofer [:P] or some deep bass from organ music that the mains just can't do).

Kaiser SET say said: "I have read a lot of good press on that little mini max, have you heard a Ah! in comparison?"

---------------------------------------------------------

I've not had an opportunity to hear the Ah. Actually, I've never heard of it! I do like the Eastern Electric Mini Max though. Wonderful sound stage and quality vocals with either tube gear or SS. I first auditioned one with Rotel and B&W. I have to say it was very impressive. I mated it with my McIntosh SS for a spell and that was even better (Cornwalls). Now I have it with the BAT gear and am very happy with the results.

BTW, you have a PM about the tennis!

Got it and have responded Boom[;)]

Both the AH! and Heart have only analog output.

I'm not a tech type at all, but in my simple minded way, I think of the tube as an analog purpose thingy.

Guys. The AH! has the option of Coaxial digital output. Yes, this bypasses the upsampler and tubes. Using the digital out will then just be a cheap Marantz CDP.

What I am going to experiment with is using this digital out through my new Mcintosh MDA1000 DAC unit. Want to see if it the 24-Bit, 768 kHz Sample Rate Conversion tops the AH! upsampler with tubes?

jc

The Jolida has a digital port on the back (picture) http://www.audiotweak.co.za/images/fullview_jolida_jd100a_rear.jpg

Here's a pic of the remote: Those ball bearing buttons move around in their sockets so if you're the fidgety type, you can roll them around with your thumb while you listen. http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/5bfbca60.jpg

One of my buttons broke so I called Jolida to find out what was involved in fixing or replacing. It was a surprising reasonable quote. I decided it might have been a simple deal of mere dirt/lint getting around the ball bearing so I took it all apart to fix it. Despite being super careful, I bumped my hand against the table and the ball bearings went flying all over the room. The cats loved this! I fixed it. :) I know people don't go gaga over remotes here but these types of things (fit/finish, weight of unit, attractiveness, and bonus points for the coolest remote I've seen).... all add up to a good user experience and "feel". BTW - the guy who sold it to us was local and delivered it to us. He advised my husband to "don't drop the remote in your lap". If you know what I mean. Fair warning!

I have heard the AH! and the Eastern Electric Min max. I thought both were great. Did not hear them side by side. If you are in the market for a CDP, you should also check out the Rega Apollo as well. they list for $995 and sound incredible. They do not use tubes but do use a new chip set that really performs.

Josh

Ok, makes sense. I've got some cheap analog wires lying around somewhere but are there some that you guys would recommend?

That sounds like a can of worms for any forum. I'm not touching it.

If you are trying to test the difference in sound between the DAC and output sections of your player versus pre/pro then by all means, hook up some RCA cables and try it.

I prefer the sound from my player over my pre/pro but I keep both connections hooked up for the certain times when bass management becomes an issue (ie, if I want to annoy someone with the subwoofer [:P] or some deep bass from organ music that the mains just can't do).Yeah, I know. I just slapped myself upside the head.

There are 7 Rega Apollos on Audiogon. They all have been with their owners for only a few weeks. That would be a red flag to me. One might contact each seller to get a good idea as to why they are selling. Price $750 to $825. The owner of the $825 unit never opened the box but put a Marantz in their system instead.

I'm running the ShengYa/vincent HDCD 6922/6DJ8-12AX7 CDP now. It's my 3rd tube CDP. Both previously were the Jolida. One had the mods. I traded it off after hearing the ShengYa/Vincent HDCD. Analog and dig outs. I use the analog only. It's less money than the Jolida with mods and actually beats it in SQ considerably. Heavy and built like a tank....Still CD but getting much closer to Vinyl. Recommended highly. Used around $400-500 on the gon or the bay.

Harry

There are 7 Rega Apollos on Audiogon. They all have been with their owners for only a few weeks. That would be a red flag to me. One might contact each seller to get a good idea as to why they are selling. Price $750 to $825. The owner of the $825 unit never opened the box but put a Marantz in their system instead.

Not sure why that would be. I bought mine used off a guy on audiogon and he said he was selling it to upgrade to the Rega Saturn. I havent looked at them for a while but when I purchased upgrading to the Saturn was a typical reason cited. I can say that would be one of the only reasons I would sell mine.

It could also be that they do not like analog sounding equipment. Many prefer Solid State and many do not like vinyl. If one fell into that camp they probably would not like an analog sounding CDP.

Josh

I ordered the Jolida yesterday. I should receive it middle of next week. I'll see how much I like it then might get another one for my second system. The others mentioned on this thread have some pretty good reviews, especially the Ah! I might go that way the second time around, we'll see. Gotta get a Peach first.

When JC brouht his Ah over we had both my Jolida JD-100 and the Ah in the system together. We played the same CD in each player simultaneously and simply used the Peach input selector to A/B.

The shootout was not close. The Ah was overwhelmingly better. It had more of everything. HOWEVER.....I have only a stock Jolida and I later found that I had a set of worn out Bugle Boys in it at the time. Initially, I was very disappointed in my purchase of the Jolida. My Sony 222 sacd player in the same A/B shootout was just as good.

Since I replaced the tubes with a set of EH and later again with a pair of Tung Sol......I have been much happier with the player and it can now easily best my Sony 222 sacd player.

I would still say that the Ah with all the upgrades including the upsampler is the best CD player I ever heard. I never heard a Jolida JD-100 with any upgrades, and I would say that the way my player sounds now is very good.....but not as good as an Ah with all the upgrades.

Mark - in the shootout, you had the stock Jolida with bad tubes vs. the Ah!..... but was the Ah! the upsampler version? That's an extra $350 or so I think. And, Are you saying you preferred the Tung-Sol to the EH tubes? I have both with the EH installed now. Haven't tried the TS.