Tube CD Players......

SWL

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

listening to the Heart this morning before coming in to work...on Tube gear as I should have all along (it was easier to temporarilly hook up to the McIntosh upstairs...my mistake ;) )...very nice sound, very well made player...about 13-15 pounds, solid drawer, wish I could read the text better, it is dim (they all are) but it scrolls the CD and all the songs while playing...none of my others do that...nice sound...needs a bit more listening but I will report back.

Bill

So, today I went to HD and bought 20 pounds of #5 washers and some epoxy glue. I removed the top, and dumped 15 pounds of washers into the CDP cab, and glued 5 pounds to the back of the remote. Now, my super AH! 4000 sounds good.

Next step: Remove my SPL unit from the tripod and replace it with 7-15x35 Bushnell's so I can read (see) the LED front.

tc[:D]

I found it to have very nice PRAT

Uh-Oh .....Your in trouble here, already .... [:o]

What dd I do?

Don't worry. Stick around and get to know the different posters here. We all hear things differently and as Duke pointed out, there are a lot of people on this board that don't hear the differences in many things. No big deal. Like reading a stereo magazine, you have to figure out who has the same musical and tonal tastes as you and give more weight to their opinions.

For example, I believe a few like the modified Jolida CD player. I've never heard it, but the reviews on Audiogon and the Asylum say that the mod removes the midrange magic bringing it back to an ordinary SS sound. Detailed, fast, but missing the PRAT. That might be what you want, I'm guessing not.

Just like a steak, everyone likes their music seasoned slightly different. Some like it burnt and topped with catchup. Some like it cooked over gas, others charcoal. I prefer charcoal lit in a chimney, no lighter fluid taste. Add couple drops of Worcestershire before cooking, seared, medium, then served with no condiments. Sometimes I'll mix it up by aging and/or tenderizing. Mmmm, that's livin'.

The point is, welcome and stick around. Over time you will get to know where each poster is coming from and which ones have similar sonic tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

although listed as new...I believe mine was a demonstrator...perhaps for the press as it came from the estate of the importer...I really like it...it is a nice sounding, rich midsectioned sounding player...I believe it may be missing some of the "punch" of the Cambridge it is at least temporairlly replacing but it is nice...for the money I am pleased with it...would I have to have Tubed CD player with Tubed amp, preamps...I am not so sure...I have only listened to about 12 CDs on it (busy at work and trying to have a life...;)...but I like it so far...

Bill

I recieved the Jolida JD100 about two weeks ago, immediately did some comparisons with my Denon cd player..........no drastic improvement, if any at all but definitely no slouch. Since then I haven't had time to do any side by side comparisons. However, one adjustment that I had to make was lowering the gain/attenuators on my amplifiers. It seems that the Jolida is giving more output than the Denon. Does this seem right? I haven't noticed anyone else mention this kind of result from a tube cdp. It's being used with all ss equipment for about another week, then I'll have a tube pre with it.

It seems that you certainly got a good deal on the Heart for the money you paid!!

Depending on the tubes in the JD100 you can change the gain somewhat. I noticed this with mine. Old Bugle boys had low gain in A/B tests with my other player. Nice new EH had more gain, and TungSol had even more. This is in A/B tests comparing to the same player each time. Basically, the JD100 plays loudest in my system with the TungSol 12ax7s in it. That's all I've tried so far.

all right...after a break I'm listening to John Mayer....Room For Squares...I have never heard it like this...LOTS of detail and nice sounding but a bit different...Tubes have been on for about 3 hours...everything biased...sounds nice...bass is still there but as one reviewer stated, perhaps the Heart leans more to the European sound (so he says) of less "Bam" ...I'm sorry but the proper descriptive words are failing me right now...different than the Cambridge (or any of my other SS players be they DVD players or not) but nice...

Bill