LS Bass missing?Where's the Beef?

HarryO

I bought a pair of LS GB Pro LaScalas yesterday from a local pawn shop. Very nice condition. Just a few scuffs on the aluminum edge trim on the front edges on both speakers. They should sand and buff out looking new.

My deal here is the Bass sucks. I know I'm used to Cornwalls and KHorns but these are just dead. Is this common for the bass in the Pro Models to be so lifeless?

Ideas and recommendations for a cure gladly welcomed.

Harry

K-43 industrial woofer does not have the bandwidth that the k-33 ( used in K-horn, home lascala, and cornwall ) does. The k-43 has a larger voice coil asssembly, cast frame and stiffer suspension, heavier Mms. This means it does not reach as low as the k-33, nor as high as it. ( lower mass corner, possibly higher inductance as well ) For home use, one would likely prefer the k-33.

There are a few things to consider as well. ( 1 ) You may be experiencing slight cancellations from room size, proximity to boundaries, and room geometry and modes ( 2 ) the woofers may be wired out of phase !

I would swap the wire connections at either the speaker or the amp, and note the difference. An spl meter will be a benefit here, play a track with a good bassline, and note the reading at a set volume level. Repeat test with wire connected out of phase, same volume and note reading. This may be easier with a pink noise track.

Lascalas really need a trihedral corner to squeek all the bass out of them possible. If they are not currently in the corner, put them in one.

One other thing to consider..... have the woofers been replaced with some generic 15" woofer??? One is not sure when buying used, unless that is checked.

I've got a couple of pair of LS already and I'm actually thinking of copying IndyKlipschguy using them as satellites for surround. My old LS with wooden cabs dig seem to dig quite a bit deeper. It may be cabinet material. It may be the woofs. I'm changing the woofs today to 33Es and see if that makes a difference. I need to pull them down and polish out the trim anyway.

As far as "adding" a sub...well, call me old fashioned, set in my ways, but I think a speaker should be able to hold it's own. "if you need more bass, get a better speaker". Wrong application? probably for my needs. I purchased because of price and "Colter Envy"

Harry

EDIT: It's easy to tell they haven't been apart so changing the woofs probably hasn't happened.

I bought a pair of LS GB Pro LaScalas yesterday from a local pawn shop. Very nice condition. Just a few scuffs on the aluminum edge trim on the front edges on both speakers. They should sand and buff out looking new.

My deal here is the Bass sucks. I know I'm used to Cornwalls and KHorns but these are just dead. Is this common for the bass in the Pro Models to be so lifeless?

Ideas and recommendations for a cure gladly welcomed.

Harry

They're pro speakers and have enough bass, with plenty of efficiency, for that use. Take em outside and air em out and you'll see what I mean. 30 feet is about right for LSI's. The K43 woofer is heavier and the low end is reported to not be as good as with the lighter K33.

Have you heard other lascalas? They all sound that way [:o]

LOL, that is going to get you in trouble.

Not that I disagree.... I happened to be playing with this again last night. By remote I can instantly switch between running the Las full range on their own vs. crossing them over to the subs. Every time I did it I was shaking my head at how much is lost run full range and how some just don't know what they are missing. They have a big peak around 170hz or so and I think that ends up tricking some like the old BBC bass hump trick.

Shawn

"The k-43 has a larger voice coil asssembly, cast frame and stiffer suspension, heavier Mms. This means it does not reach as low as the k-33, nor as high as it. ( lower mass corner, possibly higher inductance as well ) For home use, one would likely prefer the k-33."

While I agree that the K-33 would be a better choice for a Khorn/cornwall due to internal volume changes as wells as cabinet tuning in the khorn/cornwall, I'm not convinced that a k-33 is a better choice in a LaScala or belle due to the smaller volume and more restricted cabinet tuning as a  result of those designs.

Often we tend combine lower reaching frequency with volume.  The lascala cab flat out has response issues reaching below 50hz, some say 70 hz, so putting in a driver that can reach 28 - 34hz in the LaScala cab will not extend the reach to a lower frequency.

On the other hand, using drivers like the k-43 and the k-45 which are capable of producing higher spl within the tuned frequency of the LaScala cab results in bass that can keep up with the top end provided you provide some EQ, with out having to worry about blowning k-33's.

Often we tend combine lower reaching frequency with volume. The lascala cab flat out has response issues reaching below 50hz, some say 70 hz, so putting in a driver that can reach 28 - 34hz in the LaScala cab will not extend the reach to a lower frequency.

On the other hand, using drivers like the k-43 and the k-45 which are capable of producing higher spl within the tuned frequency of the LaScala cab results in bass that can keep up with the top end provided you provide some EQ, with out having to worry about blowning k-33's.

I'm pretty sure that's not quite how horn theory works. Do you have any measurements to support your claims? I'm pretty certain the K-43 isn't as strong as the K-33 from the 50-100Hz octave in the lascala. It can certainly play louder, but that's not the same thing. I'll see if I can't dig up any reliable measurements (colter has K-33's and Roger has K-43's). I think an outdoor ground-plain would be the most informative though.