What does an RF-7 tweeter sound like if it's blown?

smeat

hmmm.... I'm really not sure what to put here. The title kinda said it all. I'm not familiar with blown tweeters, I've heard a woofer raspberry away like a 1 year old fascinated by a lawn mower, but tweeters... how would I know? Do they make no sound at all or is there something in particular I would hear- and lastly- is there a way to test to find out for sure?

Mucus Garcias

Josh

Actually, well, I did just what the post above yours suggested, just ran sound through the HF to see what it sounded like and how much sound was comming out of there. Which was not a lot, but there was a little somethin' somethin' from the high end pouring out and it sounded fine. My main concern was just making sure I didn't damage it doing this, and I didn't think they sounded blown, I was more just curious what one would sound like if it was blown.

As always, we (the royal we) bow to the knowledge of the forum. May the light that shines on you both not be the light of an oncoming train.

The Josh

Normally, tweeters either work or they don't. If a tweeter "blows", it's either because of a blown diaphragm or a shorted voice coil -- in either case you get nothing. Now, you can have a diaphragm that's not properly seated, or debri in the magnetic gap -- in which case you will hear obnoxious buzzing. It's not the kind of sound where you're wondering if you hear it or not -- you'll know. Finally, if a horn comes loose from the driver, you will lose output. Some of the Reference horns are sonically welded instead of bolted, and I think on rare occasion they can come loose from rough handling -- a five foot drop off the back of FedEx truck might do it. Since it's unlikely something like this would happen to both speakers, you can simply compare the HF output of both speakers.

Hooking your amp directly to the HF binding posts for testing doesn't hurt anything since your going through the network. Connecting an amp directly to the tweeter is a different story, don't do that.