Chorus II - crossover, diaphragms, passive subs and more

Hello Everyone,

I acquired a pair of Chorus IIs about three years ago (free). I sanded down the veneer due to water and sticker damage and stained them dark walnut and they look great! However, I have had both tweeter diaphragms go and not one of the midrange is dead (I think). That said, I plan to pick one up from Klipsch (for $30).

I am also missing the passive subs. Both of them. I have had a hard time finding them and when I tried to call Klipsch they were out of stock but were selling for $55 each. Not a bad price but now they are superseded by a newer model and those sell for over $100. Yikes!

Lastly, the speaks seems to have some white noise in them when there is no sound being pumped to them (I am sure it is there when there is but you can't hear it). You need to get real close to the speaker to hear it and is sounds like it is coming through the tweeter. I think it is my receiver causing that. I have a Pioneer VSX-D514.

So, my questions:

1. Do people seem to have diaphragm problems?

2. The crossovers are the original, should I look into replacing them? If so, what should they be replaced with? Klipsch is out of them originals.

3. The passive subs. Does anyone know where I could get some? Would it make a big improvement in what I hear? Can another brand be used?

4. What are thoughts on my receiver? Can anyone recommend a really good receiver? Mine cannot output 8 ohms so they are running in 6 with 12 ga. oxygen free copper speaker wire.

All of my audio is driven through a PC with an Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 using optical out DTS. I have a 2.1 system (a Sony 10in powered sub). I may be hooking up my old Pioneer car speakers for surround. They sound really clear (obviously no, or not much, bass).

Thanks guys and gals!

Mike

**EDIT** -- Also, what's the best reference speaker or any speaker that klipsch has for rock/rap and movies?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3. The passive subs. Does anyone know where I could get some? Would it make a big improvement in what I hear? Can another brand be used?

klipsch passive radiators pop up often on ebay...it's like magic....as soon as someone posts about it...it shows up for sale...

3. The
passive subs. Does anyone know where I could get some? Would it make a
big improvement in what I hear? Can another brand be used?

klipsch passive radiators pop up often on ebay...it's like magic....as soon as someone posts about it...it shows up for sale...

LOL - awesome...hopefully it will happen.

I should also mention I am stereo-dumb -- socially-smart. So I apologize for stupid or incorrect comments.

Update: The white noise is there when the computer is off so it must be coming from the receive. And, the right speaker (one with possible back midrange diaphragm) has always been quieter and the left seems to run hot. Again, probably the receiver but I would like to here the thoughts of others. I don't know if I should keep these speakers if I cannot find parts for them.

The Chorus IIs rock! Are the passive radiators damaged in any way? I am curious as to why you feel the need to replace them. The crossovers in your Chorus IIs probably could use what most here consider a "freshening", which would mostly mean replacing the aging capacitors in them. Would probably make a big difference. Get the dead diaphragms replaced, and THEN have a listen to the receiver. That is probably what is being noisy. The horn tweeter and midrange will reveal noisy equipment in a heartbeat.

The passives are made with a certain compliance, or stiffness in them, which consists in the stiffness of the surround and the actual weight of the cone. Changing that will change the tuning of the cabinet. It is both an art and a science.

If you can replace the caps in the crossovers yourself, you can save yourself some money, but there are folks on the forum here who can do them for you for a reasonable price as well.

Bruce

The Chorus IIs rock! Are the passive radiators damaged in any way? I am curious as to why you feel the need to replace them. The crossovers in your Chorus IIs probably could use what most here consider a "freshening", which would mostly mean replacing the aging capacitors in them. Would probably make a big difference. Get the dead diaphragms replaced, and THEN have a listen to the receiver. That is probably what is being noisy. The horn tweeter and midrange will reveal noisy equipment in a heartbeat.

The passives are made with a certain compliance, or stiffness in them, which consists in the stiffness of the surround and the actual weight of the cone. Changing that will change the tuning of the cabinet. It is both an art and a science.

If you can replace the caps in the crossovers yourself, you can save yourself some money, but there are folks on the forum here who can do them for you for a reasonable price as well.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I agree, the Chorus IIs do rock. I love them and they were free. I plan on picking up the blown diaphragm as soon as I have time to confirm that it is indeed the problem.

With respect to the passive subs, it isn't a matter of replacing a broken one, it is a matter of replacing missing ones. Part of being free meant I took them as is. Well that mean they came with stickers stuck all over the outside, a missing Klipsch badge, and missing both passive subs. I sanded by hand and stained outside to clean them up, purchased a couple Klispch badges but there were no passive subs (KD-16) in stock.

When I called last week to check on the availability of the diaphragms, I was told there are newer passive subs available for the Chorus IIs. That said, the price is double what it was when I called a few years ago checking on the KD-16s (now 125 a piece).

With respect to the crossovers, where can said caps be purchased? I am pretty good with a soldering iron but just don't know where to pick up the parts.

Lastly, I see you live in one of the 14 other town of LaFayette's around the country (I grew up in LaFayette, NY).

Thanks!

Mike

Yup, I actually live just outside of LaFayette, but there are quite a few of them in the states.

I think Bob Crites can help with the caps (can't remember what's in the Chorus II crossovers). He's on here all the time, or search for him. Super nice to deal with. He also has diaphragms for many of the drivers. There are others on here who can help too.

Looks like some passives off ebay will have to do for you then. If anyone knew the specs, they could probably be replaced with something else, maybe at a lower price. Good luck.

Bruce

Yup, I actually live just outside of LaFayette, but there are quite a few of them in the states.

I think Bob Crites can help with the caps (can't remember what's in the Chorus II crossovers). He's on here all the time, or search for him. Super nice to deal with. He also has diaphragms for many of the drivers. There are others on here who can help too.

Looks like some passives off ebay will have to do for you then. If anyone knew the specs, they could probably be replaced with something else, maybe at a lower price. Good luck.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

On #3, if you cannot locate any passive radiators (passive subs as you call them) then you could replace them with ports. I've done that on a KG4.2 as well as a pair of KG3.2s with very good results. Both passive radiators and ports was way of venting an enclosure so they have very, very similar results (if done properly). You would have to cut out a piece of MDF to fit where the passive radiator goes and then mount the port in that. If you could locate some specs for me, then I could help determine "equal" port values for you.

I was also going to recommend the option of replacing the passives with ports. The original Chorus I had two 3" holes cut into the motorboard, which gives a 3/4" depth to the port and a 40Hz tuning in the roughly 6 cubic foot cabinet. At least I think I've got my numbers right, I'd have to go look them up to make sure. I believe the last time I modelled the performance, that you'll get less port velocity with a 4" diameter, 4" deep flared port. Partsexpress had something available that would work extremely well.

If you're interested I can double check all the values, otherwise I won't worry about it until the next person asks [;)]

Saddly that is probably far far over my head :( haha...I know... I'm pathetic.

I can get them. Klipsch doesn't have the KD-16s but they have a upgrated replacement model. The cost is 126 each (a bit steep in my opinion) seeing as when I called before (a few years ago) I was told the KD-16s, when in stock again would be about 55 each.

That wouldn't be over your head at all. Cut a disk to mount where the passive radiators would go. Put in two 3" diameter holes (a few inches apart would be good). Screw in place, sealing with something that you can get back off (IOW, don't use glue). No need to buy the passives. You would at least have them up and running until you could get/afford the passives.

Bruce

That wouldn't be over your head at all. Cut a disk to mount where the passive radiators would go. Put in two 3" diameter holes (a few inches apart would be good). Screw in place, sealing with something that you can get back off (IOW, don't use glue). No need to buy the passives. You would at least have them up and running until you could get/afford the passives.

Bruce

I may take a stab at it. The funny thing is, I've been using them for years without the passives.

WOW...

Even if you don't think you cannot make parts to fix them yourself, you could probably find someone here that'd be willing to build you a couple covers (each with a pair of 3" holes) for a price -- and it'd likely still be considerably less than the price of buying two passive radiators. BTW, I myself am not offering as I'm just too buried in my basement remodel.

Is this just a gut feeling, or have you tried replacing a passive with a port and had bad results? Why exactly do you think venting via a port (done correctly) is inferior to venting with a passive radiator (done correctly)?

The PR has lower distortion and less power compression. Also, the Q of the resonance for a port is fixed, where a PR the Q is chosen. If the Q for the PR is not the same as what would be achieved with the port, then the tuning of the system wouldn't allow the same alignment. You'll either have a bump in the response or a hole depending on how the PR was tuned.

Putting hole in some pieces on the back will cost you how much? Mostly time, and not much of that. So what if it is off, it will be far more correct than not having anything there. Then save up your pennies for the passives. This doesn't seem like too hard a project to understand.

Bruce