Chorus II - crossover, diaphragms, passive subs and more

It would be simpler to cut a square piece of mdf to cover the hole where passive normally goes, put the ports in and attach to the back. If you paint that flat black it will just about look like it belongs there.

Anyone have a good pic of the back of a Chorus II?

Bruce

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally would take a jig saw to the piece of MDF so that it can sit flush where the PR normally sits. Though I'd probably go with a piece of birch ply since I think it's easier to work with and you don't have to paint it to make it air tight.

Who needs a pic of the back of a Chorus II? Or rather, what should the focus be? I could easily snap a few pics...

I personally would take a jig saw to the piece of MDF so that it can sit flush where the PR normally sits.

This is what I did on a KG4.2, but I used a router with a circle jig. I also trimmed down the wood around the outside edge (with the router) so more of the wood was recessed into the enclosure -- to make it so the wood didn't stick out any more than the PR would have.

It would be simpler to cut a square piece of mdf to cover the hole where passive normally goes, put the ports in and attach to the back. If you paint that flat black it will just about look like it belongs there.

Anyone have a good pic of the back of a Chorus II?

Bruce

Bruce,

Here's a good pic of the back of the ones I have in the Garage Sale.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109162.aspx

Harry

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

First, thank you to each and everyone one of your for your support.

I finally decided (after more than a year) to take the time and get my Chorus II speakers fixed. I was able to purchase a pair of Klipsch KD-16 passive radiators to replace the missing pair. I also installed the new crossovers and a new pair of tweeter titanium diaphragms from Bob Crites. In addition, I replaced the old wiring with new 16 ga copper wire. All connections (except those connecting to the crossovers were soldered. Lastly, I refinished them. They now have two coats of black paint and three coats of semi-gloss lacquer.

The following album contains photos of the operation.

They now sound 200% better. They are much louder and sound amazing. The only hicup is that the right one now sounds louder than the left and I have a hard time repositioning them to ensure the sound is even. I need to acquir a multimeter to check the voltage of the left and right channel to make sure my receiver doesn't have a problem (can this even be done?). Of course, maybe my ears have a problem.Or they are just mis-positioned. Or maybe they just sound so much better I am not used to it. Either way, +1.0 to the left and -1.0 to the right seems to help.

Thanks all!
Mike

Congratulations! You did a great job with them! Wow...

Just switch the speakers to check if it's your receiver being louder on one side.

Make sure you are centered between the speakers. It doesn't take much for one to sound louder if you're just slightly closer to it.

I own some Chorus II and they're some amazing speakers!

Enjoy.

Mike,

Excellent job! I would be very interested in what you did to get such a nice black finish over the old oak cabs. I've got a pair of oiled oak Chorus IIs in need of some work and would actually consider going with the black to cover the imperfections. Please let me know how you got these to create a near-factory finish.

Does anyone know the difference between the PS on the Forte II vs. the Chorus IIs? They are different model #s, but seem identical in size, suspension, etc. I noticed in the pics that the replacement PS from Klipsch has a raised surround vs. the original accordion style.

~Gary

• 3 months later...

Thanks! I finally had time to play with the placement of the speakers and after moving the left speaker a few inches the sound is now even. I used a long piece of string to make sure all four corners of the speakers lined up with the proper location across the room. (The inner front corner is alinged with the outer corner of the couch.)

They are amazing speakers!

Congratulations! You did a great job with them! Wow...

Just switch the speakers to check if it's your receiver being louder on one side.

Make sure you are centered between the speakers. It doesn't take much for one to sound louder if you're just slightly closer to it.

I own some Chorus II and they're some amazing speakers!

Enjoy.

Hi Gary,

I had refinished the speakers a few years ago and had stained them Walnut. When I did that refinish I used 300 grit sand paper to take off the oak oil, sticker residue (yes stickers...these speakers were owned by a college radio station that I ran prior to me acquirering them), and sand down other blemishes.

For the recent refinish, because they were mostly smooth at that point, I used 180 grit sand paper to rough up the wood and remove some of the stain so the paint would adhere.

For paint I used two coat of Rust-Oleum American Accents flat black smooth finish latex paint and three coats of Cabot fast drying super clear semi-gloss brushing lacquer.

I did not need to sand between coat of paint or lacquer. I did the entire process inside to cut down on dust. (Just besure to open a window in the house because the lacquer is a killer.)

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Excellent job! I would be very interested in what you did to get such a nice black finish over the old oak cabs. I've got a pair of oiled oak Chorus IIs in need of some work and would actually consider going with the black to cover the imperfections. Please let me know how you got these to create a near-factory finish.

~Gary

Hi Greg,

The only place I was ever able to find replacement passives was directly from Klipsch. Give them a call and follow the prompt to the parts department. The part number is KD-16. They are in stock hit or miss. If they don't have them now, call back in a month or so.

Mike

hello - i need to replace passives on chorus IIs as well.

Any tips?

Where did you find the replacements?

Thanks

Greg

• 1 month later...

Here's my attempt at porting my Chorus II. One of my pair had a badly ripped passive radiator. The ports have an ID of 3.88" and a length of 4.39". They are assuredly too long, and almost certainly tuned too low (probably about 30 Hz). I haven't yet taken the measurements needed to properly trim the port tubes to the correct length.

Posted Image Posted Image