Receiver or separate system?

Depends on what the buyer,you,are looking for? For just pure Music listening, an intergrated Tube amp is the ticket, if you want FM stereo, and other options, a receiver maybe best for you..........It's hard to throw out opinions when there's not much to go by. I like Home Theatre, so I have a receiver, and I listen to music on a tube intergrated amp, two systems. I think dollar wise a receiver would be the less expensive route to go. What a you thinking about, new, or pre-owned equipment? what kind of speakers are you going to use? Many questions you must ask yourself..............Do you have any equipment now?

Mike,

I have a strong opinion that the buyer is best served by putting priority on the purchase of speakers. Speakers are the most significant part of any audio system. A receiver (or integrated amp) can be the most bang for the buck in supplying decent amplification. Within any given budget, one could put so much priority on amplification that what's left for speakers isn't adequate.

Hello everyone,

Sorry I should have given a bit more information...

I currently own the speakers (Chorus IIs) and they are getting a set of new crossovers from Bob and a few other tweaks. I have a Pioneer VSX-D514 (or something like that) receiver and a Sony 10 inch 150 watt sub.

I listen to FM on occasion but MOST of the time I have a audio feed from my PC (optical DTS) for music and movies. Sometimes I route a TV though my receiver.

Give that, it sounds like a receiver is probably best. I am looking at the Denon 2307cl.

I think there are better choices than Denon, just my opinion................I would be tempted to wait until after your speaker upgrades, listen to them for awhile, then decide on a Receiver...................take a look here to compare........... www.vanns.com .......just more information to confuse you...or...go to some forum members place and check out their equipment........Seems to be more Klipsch guys surfacing around here......I'm 2 hours from Poughkeepsie ............ there are others closer, but I can't invite you there, only my place, although, I might be alittle old for your taste, besides, I'm stuck in the 70's ..................... Really, I'd wait until your speakers are done, and you give them a good listen.....Old BEC is a talented guy, you won't be sorry you did that ...................

I think there are better choices than Denon, just my opinion................I would be tempted to wait until after your speaker upgrades, listen to them for awhile, then decide on a Receiver...................take a look here to compare........... www.vanns.com .......just more information to confuse you...or...go to some forum members place and check out their equipment........Seems to be more Klipsch guys surfacing around here......I'm 2 hours from Poughkeepsie ............ there are others closer, but I can't invite you there, only my place, although, I might be alittle old for your taste, besides, I'm stuck in the 70's ..................... Really, I'd wait until your speakers are done, and you give them a good listen.....Old BEC is a talented guy, you won't be sorry you did that ...................

Which brand(s) do you like? That site seems to have decent prices but there are so many to choose from. I just have no clue who stands out the most. Such a tough call. And I do know a lot of it is up to the person's ears but I don't have enough discretionary cash to buy - sell - buy.

I own a Yamaha Receiver............many on here like HK.......Marantz are nice....... really, your speakers will sound different after the mods, and maybe your Pioneer will sound better.........unless your just hot to trot for a new Receiver........relax, don't rush into it and be sorry later.........

I own a Yamaha Receiver............many on here like HK.......Marantz are nice....... really, your speakers will sound different after the mods, and maybe your Pioneer will sound better.........unless your just hot to trot for a new Receiver........relax, don't rush into it and be sorry later.........

Yeah, my Pioneer doesn't sound bad...of course maybe I haven't heard good. I don't like the white noise in the background when close to the speakers as I spend most of my time no more than 2-4 feet away.

I own a Yamaha Receiver............many on here like HK.......Marantz are nice.......

FYI, Both Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company, D&M Holdings.

Yes I know and they also own McIntosh............I'd still rather own a Marantz over a Denon........

Why? No disrespect, but I can't see much of a difference.

you're lookin' for 2 channel and how much do you want to spend and must it be new???...Anyone heard the Outlaw RR2150 Stereo receiver...I see them from time to time on the 'Gon... http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1189774360 ...here is one now...don't know the seller, yadda ya...

Bill

I was looking between 4-6 or so hundred. As far as how many channels. That's a good question. I seem to want to lean toward more so I have room to grow without new hardware. I have heard Outlaw is pretty good at a reasonable price. Thanks for that site. I will have to keep a watch on it.

I think I am going to get my speakers back to "normal" and see how things are...I wont "trot too hot." (in the words of Oldbuck...)

I own a Yamaha Receiver............many on here like HK.......Marantz are nice.......

FYI, Both Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company, D&M Holdings.

Yes I know and they also own McIntosh............I'd still rather own a Marantz over a Denon........

Why? No disrespect, but I can't see much of a difference.

I just don't care for Denon...........I would rather spend a few dollars more for the Marantz......Actually, I'd rather buy McIntosh, an American Company, hand assembled in New York State, but that equipment is out of my price range.........Marantz is one of those, "Oh, I wish I had bought that equipment back in the 70's", but couldn't afford, they always sounded good...........

If you like a warm and dynamic sound you must try Denon's DRA-37 AM/FM Stereo receiver. I promise this little 50watt receiver will wake up your Klipsch speakers. CircuitCity has a 30 day return policy.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3389.asp

DRA37_Front_G_bright_rdax_467x173.gif

I also purchased the Denon DP-300F turntable from Crutchfield. It also sounds wonderful

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3145.asp

If you like a warm and dynamic sound you must try Denon's DRA-37 AM/FM Stereo receiver. I promise this little 50watt receiver will wake up your Klipsch speakers. CircuitCity has a 30 day return policy.

I also purchased the Denon DP-300F turntable from Crutchfield. It also sounds wonderful

That particular one is missing optical in. But thanks for the suggestion. I take it you took a mostly separate route?

That particular one is missing optical in. But thanks for the suggestion. I take it you took a mostly separate route?

It does not have any internal DAC's, so there is not need for it to have optical in. The receiver would rely on the decoders that are built into your CD/DVD player.