Receiver or separate system?

If you like a warm and dynamic sound you must try Denon's DRA-37 AM/FM Stereo receiver. I promise this little 50watt receiver will wake up your Klipsch speakers. CircuitCity has a 30 day return policy.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3389.asp

DRA37_Front_G_bright_rdax_467x173.gif

I also purchased the Denon DP-300F turntable from Crutchfield. It also sounds wonderful

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3145.asp

That particular one is missing optical in. But thanks for the suggestion. I take it you took a mostly separate route?

It does not have any internal DAC's, so there is not need for it to have optical in. The receiver would rely on the decoders that are built into your CD/DVD player.

Except my problem is, I prefer to stream DTS from my PC directly to the receiver knowing the DACs on the receiver should be better. Not to mention you eliminate the 60hz chances with optical.

I own a Yamaha Receiver............many on here like HK.......Marantz are nice....... really, your speakers will sound different after the mods, and maybe your Pioneer will sound better.........unless your just hot to trot for a new Receiver........relax, don't rush into it and be sorry later.........

Yeah, my Pioneer doesn't sound bad...of course maybe I haven't heard good. I don't like the white noise in the background when close to the speakers as I spend most of my time no more than 2-4 feet away.

If you don't like the White Noise in the background, may I make a suggestion, If you go with separates, which I personally think is the best bang for the buck, make sure your amp and pre both have the ability to accept XLR cables.

I've owned ADCOM, H/K, Onkyo, and now Sunfire. I had just regaled to the fact that I have very revealing speakers (Chorus, Heresy II's), and had just better get used to it, then on a whim, I installed cheap Rat Shack XLR's between the pre and amp, on the Sunfire. OMG the noise floor disappeared, even when powered up to -20 volume level, with a Sunfire Signature Grand (425WPC).

The reason I feel separates is actually a better deal is the ability to upgrade as new technologies arrive, or become more affordable, without having to trash a perfectly good amp section, just to get , Say DTS, or whatever. A good amp will last a very long time, even though the electronics change from time to time.

Speaking of such, I've seen several really good deals on Agon for older Sunfire products, that would be a very good place to start, even though the technology may not be brand new, you could get into a top notch setup that your Cornwalls will love.

If you don't like the White Noise in the background, may I make a suggestion, If you go with separates, which I personally think is the best bang for the buck, make sure your amp and pre both have the ability to accept XLR cables.

I've owned ADCOM, H/K, Onkyo, and now Sunfire. I had just regaled to the fact that I have very revealing speakers (Chorus, Heresy II's), and had just better get used to it, then on a whim, I installed cheap Rat Shack XLR's between the pre and amp, on the Sunfire. OMG the noise floor disappeared, even when powered up to -20 volume level, with a Sunfire Signature Grand (425WPC).

That might be a very good suggestion. Not going to knock it at all. But I have owned alot of different equipment and I also experienced quite a bit of white noise with Adcom gear. And maybe XLR's if it would of been possible might of been of help.

I own the same speakers and presently use an ultra high powered amp(425wpcQSC) and have it paired with a vintage Marantz 2325 as a pre from 1974 with not a hint of noise with your ear in the horns. This is with rca connections all the way. So I believe equipment has alot to do with it. Weird actually an ancient receiver and a pro amp and the music comes out of the blackness. Awesome!

You know. My biggest problem is that I have no idea where to start. When I think about separates I wounder what I would need to buy. For example, how do you handle video if you wanted to? Certainly you can have a lot of video inputs and something needs to tie them together. Then, how do you handle optical? DTS processing? As my sig says, I really am speaker dumb and lack the appropriate amount of research time...sadly....(blame working for the man).

Keep reading and print out whatever you can, so you can go over it at your leisure. The more you read the more you learn. I know when I thought about going seperates, I read everything I could on the net. I even have a 3" binder full of material that I printed off, including info from the companies and comments on these forums. When all was said and done, I can upon a couple of opportunies six months later that allowed me to obtain my current equipment. The McIntosh MC-30's were 30 minutes away and the Peach came from Mark in California, but both were good deals. Actually a member on this forum mentioned the MC-30's in Toronto and my ears lit up instantly. I found them quickly and auditioned them two nights later and they were mine. Without the input of all the members here and a lot of reading, I would not have been in the position to make the choice I made.

Several members here who also have MC-30's have helped me make my system what it is today. The 350B's would not have happened without Ben and Steve. They are wonderful, but expensive, then again they beat the less expensive Chinese tubes by a long shot.

As for your question, read up and then jump when you are comfortable that you have enough information to make the right choice. If you buy the wrong equipment and it holds it's value you are conducting a science experiment, if it doesn't it is a more costly experiment. It depends on how deep your pocket are?

Separates are better, but they cost more. On the less expensive end, a Scott 299C integrated and a Scott tuner make a nice mix. I have both as part of my upstairs system with a pair of Heresys. If you go the whole hog, then the separtes will end up costing you about $1000 each, more for the amp. They will sound nicer, but is that in your budget at the moment? In the meantime, the Scott tube outfit sounds very good.