Question of placement RF-7

smeat

So it seems no matter where I place these things here's what happens as I walk in front of them, ok- I'm about 10 feet out going from left to right. Far left by the wall there's lots of base filling the corner and the rest sounds pretty great too, dead in front of the left one, same thing, in the center I can hear both speakers mingle happily- highs and mids sound great... BUT the bass disappears, I can still feel base like pressure on my ears, but the sound kinda goes away, then as I near the right speaker everything sounds just like the other side. I've tried moving them closer to the wall, further from the wall, toed in toed out, but no matter what, the bass along the outside walls and out into the room along that line is vastly more audible, and no matter what I have that weird dead bass area in the middle.

Then my question is, what am I doing wrong, and how can I stop doing the wrong thing that makes me do things wrong... or something like that.

Waiting like a cat who hears a can opener-

Josh

As you walk in close to even between the speakers and as far out,still centered, does the base still seem missing all along this centered line? If the answer is yes, your speakers may be out of phase. Switch the cables on "ONE" speaker + to - and - to +. [You are not bi-wiring are you] If you "ARE" bi-wiring it's easier to switch the cables for one speaker at the power amp. If this changes nothing put the cables back.

they are rear ported speakers so they need to be at least 2 feet from the wall that the ports are firing towards. start with that and move them backwards or forward until you get the sound you are going after.

side walls maybe 3 feet.

sometimes its a game of inches.

danny

Leave it switched and try to remember if you disconnect, to reconnect the way you have it now. HeHe!!!! Hey you are more alert than me. I had my RF 7's out of phase for 2 years before I found out and did what you did to correct it. BTW I only found out by using white noise on the stereophile test CD 2 which they sell for $9.95. It tests other things as well.