7.1 receiver/5.1 speakers?

thebutler007

This is my first post to the forum. This is also my first time researching for audio equipment since 2000. I had some nice Infinity's, a Klipsch center and surrounds and a small sub driven by and onkyo reciever. All got washed away by Katrina. Oh well......now I can have fun buying new stuff....

I cannot decide what to get or how far I want to go with my new set up. I am in a new house but plan on building a new home in 3 years or so with a home theater so my wife won't holler at me when I crank up the movies/tunes.....anyway....research has brought me from a bose system all the way to tube amps, b&w nautilus speakers, acoustic analysis, etc....too much info.....(but fun) besides the wife is getting impatient......

I have decided to stay a little above middle of the road and not go super high end for now if ever......my budget is about 5k to 6k.

my tv area is about 24 feet wide and my "chair" is about 16 feet from my 61" samsung. twelve foot ceiling. the room (behind by chair) opens into the kitchen (no walls only columns) and extends back another 26 feet or so with 10 foot ceilings.....floors are hardwood with rugs, kitchen floor is ceramic tile...generally the space is pretty reflective (big sofas though)

I do not have a place to put my surrounds except in the 10 foot ceiling about two feet behind my chair. no place to put to more surrounds at all.

I would like to get a 7.1 receiver (denon 110 watts/ch or maybe 130 watts/ch) so i can use it in my future house (if the wife squaks about the home theater room) where i will plan for the extra two surrounds....

will there be any issues using a 7.1 receiver in a 5.1 setup?

I am seriously looking at the Klipsch reference rb-81 set in my entertainment center positioned close to the floor, with a rc61 center over the tv and the reference series 8" ceiling speakers.....any idea for a sub? probably a klipsch rw-12d or something similar shoved in the corner...

i listened to both the klipsch and similar b&w's and found the b&w's a bit muffled....like the klipsch better...they jumped out at me...they look cool with the copper woofer too....

I would appreciate any advice....much thanks....

any ideas or advice?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info.....I finally bit the bullet and purchased my surround system. I talked the wife into tolerating floor standing speakers instead of the bookshelf......I got the RF83 fronts, RC-64 center, RS-52 surrounds (space limitations) and the RT-12D sub......I might trade in the RS-52's and get the RS-62's if I can find a ceiling bracket for them....I have not taken them out of the box yet....only had time to hook up the fronts.....My wife was amazed after she heard the fronts playing.....She agreed to have the surrounds suspended from the ceiling.....can't wait 'till the weekend to get up in the attic......Driving them with the Denon 3808CI....

thanks......I think I am going to put the 52's on the two columns rather that hang them from the ceiling behind by chair.....read on one of the forums that theyt should be place on a wall....I guess for the bass response....seems odd though...I thought ports behind the speaker affected response versus placement close to a wall....these are sealed speakers and the angled drivers pattern at 180 degreees....might do some experimenting.....

• 1 month later...