I've been scammed...Agon BBX w/Cream!...

jorjen

...Well, it is starting to look very much like it anyway.

Some of you may remember or even tried to purchase a BBX w/ Cream off Audiogon about two weeks ago. $1300.00 plus shipping ring a bell with anyone? http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1189696805. Check out this thread. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/939780.aspx.

Anyway, made the deal with the guy on Sunday the 15th. Puchased two USPS MO's totaling $1300.00 with my Visa Debit Card and sent via USPS Express on the 16th, he received on Wed. the 18th. I called him in Baltimore on Tuesday the 17th at the phone number he provided(he answered), let him know the money was on the way and gave him a tracking #. He has not responded to any of my phone calls or emails since then and no BBX.

I have never, ever in all my years of dealing on the internet had this happen, so I do not really know what to do about it. Any input/advice? Anyone in MD near Baltimore? Really starting to make me sick to my stomach. I do not know about you fellas, but I for one cannot afford to lose $1300.00.

His Audiogon handle is:

Tube_lvr

Other info is:

Michael Matthews

1107 Elmridge Ave.

Baltimore, MD. 21229+5326

1-443-939-2133

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little different than most, but usually if I'm in it for a penny, I'm in it for a pound. I'd probably buy a roundtrip plane ticket to Baltimore get a taxi ride to that address, knock on his door, then do just what John Travolta did in Get Shorty when "Bones" took his leather coat.

Well, right now I'd say that you're holding a huge hammer if he's going to try to screw you. You've got his address and contact info. You purchased two USPS money orders and sent them through the mail in response to his invitation to purchase a product. I'm no attorney, but if he does try to screw you, then you can report it to the authorities as a case of mail fraud, which is a federal felony.

whell is right! The feds will go after the guy. That's why I always pay with a USPO Money Order on such transactions. Hang in there a little longer and I bet things work out. As a side note, I once had a guy send me over $800 in cash for lens that he bought on e Bay! Boy did we have a conversation after that!

Jordan,

Give him some time,he might have some kind of emergency.I have alot of experience on audiogon and from his ads.I think its too detail and most scammer do not like to take an effort to describe the unit in detai,and also I dont think he would pick a BBX as an item to scam people.usually it mcintosh or B&W .why dont you call him and leave a message on his phone and tell him that you are going to report the USPS money order is stolen.If he is smart,I am sure he'll call you right back..I am having my finger cross for ya.

Hopefully it will all work out for the good. There's nothing anyone can say about that feeling you get deep in your stomach when something like this happens...........Give it a little more time, nothing will happen over the week-end, and hopefully Monday will bring good news..........

Hey Jordan,

I agree with most as you should give it a little more time. One thing I have tried is to send an e-mail via A-gon to the other members that left feedback for him. Maybe they can shed some light on his shipping and communication practices. It's at least worth a try.

Good luck,

Mark

P.S.: I see you live in Atwater. Did you happen to bid on the "new" Heresy HBR's that recently sold on ebay? I noticed the seller also lived in Atwater. Just curious, take care.

jorjen,

man, hope this works out o.k. for you. The guy's ad and feedback look legitimate. It's possible there's yet a reasonable explanation for this disconcerting lack of response.

One thing that would be interesting, though not necessarily helpful, if he is the original owner of the Peach, Mark would know. Don't know if Mark would have any responsibility for privacy issues.

Good luck getting this resolved to your satisfaction.

i agree that it is probably a seller a little lax on his shipping practices time will tell,

on the other hand dont put alot of stock in the fact that it is a fed. deal because you sent the guy a postal money order and it was across state lines etc... it is illegal, it is a federal crime, but mail fraud including this type is hard to get the cops to do anything, (how do i know you may be asking) well i got ripped off a year ago, i sent a postal money order, guy cashed it i waited for weeks never received my items i had all the guys e-mails and all his contact info as you do and i informed the local police where he lived, told them i was willing to travel to prosecute the guy in short i told them i will go to court, i e-mailed all the info to the local detective, he fed me a bunch of BS, long story short they didnt do $#!T, and i wasted another 4 weeks of my time trying to get them to do something...........................

i did hear from another guy that he had cops visit a seller and the guy came thru after that........................

i would try to contact the guy thru e-mail explain that 1300 is alot of money to you and that not hearing from him is making you ver nervous and all you need to know is has he shipped your item or planning to soon, i would also tell him that if you do-not receive a response you will be forced to contact the authorities

Joe

10 days with no contact is pretty disconcerting. Something is amiss. I don't think I would sit around an be patient. I would go to the post office and explain the situation and see what they would say is the next step.

I often wondered what would happen if a person got in a car accident, hospitalized or otherwise died in between him receiving my payment and shipping my goods. It's not like his wife or kids are going to know about or care about whatever "sold" junk he had laying around.

Keep us posted Jordan. I and a few others on the board live near Baltimore but I'm not sure the best move would be to have 2 or 3 forum geeks packing zerostats kicking in the guy's door. We'll case the joint for you if need be but first let the authorities do their job. Let's hope it's just miscommunication.

Good luck my friend.

- Gary

Sorry to hear of the situation.

I recently purchased some eBay merchandise from buyer who would not accept PayPal, Buyer Protection etc. He wanted a M.O. There was no way I was going without protection. We settled on him shipping it insured UPS COD. It costs only a few dollars and both parties have some degree of protection.

Hope this gets settled. Perhaps he's travelling or in hospital. Perhaps he might end up in hospital...

"he had the shipping weight listed as 46 pounds, about 20 pounds over actual. That's the only oddball thing I notice. I sure hope it's just an innocent problem! "

I just shipped one of my amps for upgrade. It weighs 37 lbs bare. I bought 2 very heavy boxes and made inner liners out of heavy foam and total weight shipped was 79 lbs. I wanted to make sure it arrived intact.

I'm not standing up for the guy. No contact is wrong but I've bought things and haven't heard even a "thank you" and received the item 3 weeks later. Nerve racking for sure.

I got ripped off on a pair of speakers I sold from a guy in Washington state and Ebay nor Paypal would do squat. I called the U.S. Prosecutors Office and a couple of phone calls later I received word my speakers were being shipped back immediately. The idiot did a half-a$$ packing job and was required to pay for the shipping damages in full.

I doubt I'd wait very long to pursue this.

Good luck and hope all works out well

Harry

If this deal goes South, get in touch with the Postal Inspector. I was once sammed for $1500 over an IBM laptop. Paid with USPS MO. The freak scammed about a dozen of people. So all of us reported him to the US Postal Inspector. The guy was caught, tried and sentenced about 3 years later. I never got the money back.