Coatings on paper cone drivers (woofers)

we_doyle

I was asking before I do it. I get the impression that it should not be done although not all responses say not to do it. I do not like the idea of brake fluid, as some have suggested. It appears that Klipsch woofers do not seem to develop problems and so there is no need to do anything like this. The point of the question is to ask before and get some experience (negative or positive) from others.

• Moderators

I wouldn't do it. I was invovled with the development of our ProMedia 2.0 speakers (which has silver painted drivers), and every time we changed the paint or added a coat, the voicing had to be re-done. It can make big difference in sound, and these were professionally painted.

Do,snt mean that it,s all right for me to take a bath and get soggy but not my K speakers ?? ....Reading some of the old letters between Ashworth and Paul...The application of certain chemicles helped get the free air resonence down to where he wanted...But he also had to test and check to see that he didnt over do it...Thats pretty labor intensive for every Khorn that went out the door. Stephens finally gave him a woofer that met his requirements...Later other manufacturs followed his requirements.

• 4 weeks later...

Lot of good suggestions here, but I have successfully used Scotchguard on the surrounds to restore them. Some could be also sprayed on the cone. Very thin even coat, otherwise you would have drips. A good way to do this would be to lay the speakers flat and spray the cone, if there is any excess it would flow to the center of the cone. Now using some facial tissue soak up any excess.

You are right, it will not improve the sound. I was just trying to get a fresh look. However, there are ways to improve sound, although it could be too involved to do it right. The first trick would be to balance the cone; almost impossible to do without replacing the cone. There are very few speaker places who could do this, but clearly it would be a step above stock woofers. Secondly, light dampening of the cone would lower the resonance of the cone. Again all of this is easier said than done as it requires a lot of skill and experience to do it right!!!

Whether cones or surrounds deteriorate may be partly a function of location -- wet humid areas may, or may not, be the worst??

In California (& now Oregon) I never had a cone/surround show wear, and the oldest is a JBL D130 c 1955. By the way, I pumped the s**t out of every woofer or extended range speaker I've ever had. The old D130s are now enjoying a third life in the speaker abusing, cast partying, hands of a regional Little Theater group, none the worse for [nonexistent] wear.

I read somewhere (about 15-20 years ago) that among the speakers best able to withstand humidity and fungus are Klipsch -- no surprise.