Members Weekly Music Recommendations-July 30

thebes

Well I dropped the ball last week but our good friend Seti picked up the slack. Sorry, press of work, in negotiations for a new piece of gear, tracking down some sweet tubes to drive it, yadda, yadda, yadda.

So we are really in the dog days of summer right now, and for some reason this time of the year brings out what little country there is in me and I sometimes get a hankering for some old time country mixed in with some hillbilly folk. What better way to scratch that itch than putting on:

The Carter Family, "The Original and Great Carter Family", country/folk, mono lp

Probably one of the most influential American musical groups in this or any other age. A.P. Carter, his wife and a female cousin on guitar crafted dozens of fine songs that reflect the hard times in rural American and the sweeping spirit reflected from the beauty of the land. Probably there most famous tunes are "Keep on the Sunnyside" and Wabash Cannon Ball".

Recording quality is very old-timey and not quite good at all. Their voices may seem dated, the tunes simple, but if you want to understand anything about American music you'b best spend some time with The Carter Family.

So what do you have to share this week?

Not so crazy about Carter's music abilities:

Pot Calls Kettle Black . . .

I'm a crazy old man!!

Former President, peanut farmer and current carpenter (the kind that sings 70âs love songs) has made a complete *** out of himself again

Content edited for comical purposes only

OK on a serious note, while not my favorite recording artist, I did slap down the Debut 1987 LP version of "Richard Marx" - same title, which brought back a few sentimental memories. This particular LP was found to be in MINT condition, so the playback was even more enjoyable. A good mix of instruments on many tracks which also featured such hits as:

Should've Known Better

Endless Summer Nights

Don't Mean Nothing

Hold On To The Nights

Remember Manhattan.....AWESOME raunchiness w/horns

SETI, whatcha got?[<:o)]

I'll chime in with a great soundtrack. "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"

The movie sucked, but the sound track featured some very good recordings of many of Johnny Mercer's hits done by some of the industries best musicians.

Here's a track list and the artist who performs each song:

Skylark - K. D. Lang

Too Marvelous For Words - Joe Williams

Autumn Leaves - Paula Cole

Fools Rush In (Where Angels Fear To Tread) - Rosemary Clooney

Dream - Brad Mehldau

Days Of Wine And Roses - Cassandra Wilson

That Old Black Magic - Kevin Spacey

Come Rain Or Come Shine - Alison Eastwood

Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive - Clint Eastwood

This Time The Dream's On Me - Alison Krauss

Laura - Kevin Mahogany

Midnight Sun - Diana Krall

I'm An Old Cowhand (From The Rio Grande) - Joshua Redman

I Wanna Be Around - Tony Bennett

The tracks featuring KD Lang, Alison Krauss, and Diana Krall are especially good. Clint Eastwood taking a stab at jazz is an interesting concept too. He basically murders the song, but I give him points for trying. (He also directed the film.)

Well kinda' having a hard time posting here every week, only a hand full of Forum members seem to care, or even show any interest in playing music at all, such a shame, but I guess if even one cares, that's good enough................How does the music get forgotten here, this is a Speaker based forum, and without the music, who needs the speakers, well anyway, let's move on.................

THE WHO...................LIVE AT LEEDS....................CD...................1970

Want LOUD brash Rock and Roll? Look no further, this is one of those albums that cranked up will assualt your mind with a strong dose of Vintage WHO. Pete Townshend, Roger Daltry, John "The OX" Entwistle, and last, but not least, Keith Moon. These guys are buttkicking, little band that took backseat to no-one, sheer, raw power, as displayed on this album. In my opinion, this is one of the finest LIVE albums ever made. Yes, there is static, and little noises heard at a Live concert in those days, the technoligy wasn't that good back then, as compared to now, but that's part of the charm, if you will, of this disc. Only 6 songs long, but what a 6 songs they are;

!. Young Man Blues

2. Substitute

3. Summertime Blues

4. Shakin' All Over

5. My Generation

6. The Magic Bus

Full speed ahead type musical attack. Funny, I listen today and realize, I've become the Old Man that they use to sing about, kinda' humbling. This was released right after Woodstock, and was a big seller at the time. I have a feeling a re-mastered version might sound a little better, but this is the way it was then....Raw, imperfections galore, just like the band. Get a copy of this put it on, and you old dawgs in particular, remember the simple days of Rock and Roll one more time............"There ain't no cure for the Summertimes Blues"

Country? Try Junior Brown. Junior plays what he calls a Guit Steel, which is half electric guitar and half steel guitar. From the CD 12 Shades of Brown, check out My Baby Don't Dance to Nothin' But Ernest Tubb, What's Left Just Won't Go Right, Hillbilly Hula Gal and Coconut Island. From the CD Guit With It, try Highway Patrol and My Wife Thinks You're Dead. Almost all songs from Semi Crazy are good.

Yodel? Try Don Walser's CDs Rolling Stone From Texas and Texas Top Hand. He does a great job on two Jimmie Roger's songs California Blues (Blue Yodel # 4) and Awaiting for a Train. Don passed away in 2006. RIP Don. Love ya. Another yodeler is Wylie (Gustafson) and the Wild West. You may know him from the Yahoo commercials. Roy Rogers was supposed to be a great yodeler, but his stuff is hard to find. Hate your neighbors? Try yodeling.

Western swing? Try Asleep at the Wheel's Ride with Bob, which is a tribute to Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

Sorry I meant to thank Klispched With Yamahas. Sorry man.

Apology accepted, but you know I wouldn't let your weekly posting get neglected[Y]

A couple more from last night:

Firefall "Elan" and "Luna Sea" from Boulder, CO. Ironically, I was introduced to this band from a military roomate of mine from the same city back in the mid/late 70's. IMHO, their 1st album was the best, but they did have several other hits during the late 70's, prior to Mark Andes (bass) leaving the band to join w/Heart. For those not familiar with the band, they are a mix between CSN and LRB, or pop-rock genre.

Some might even consider this band country-rock, but very distinctive.

MIHO HATORI

I really enjoy Japanese avant garde jazz or punk rock or new wave inspired acts like Hoppi Kamiyami, Kirilolola, Ex-Girl, and Polysics. Recently I found an album walking around Barnes and Noble doing the scan and listen. This is a great way to find new artists. This time I rediscovered Miho Hitora who was the lead vocalist for Cibo Mato. This album was a major departure from previous bands as this had a much more real and natural sound pulling inspiration from Brazil styles such as samba and bossanova. It turns out she teamed up with Becks guitarist Smokey to explore these styles. She is my new favorite artist. The quality of her new CD Ecdysis is superb pick it up.

mihoweb.jpg

Videos

Smokey and Miho - Ocean In your Eyes The more I listen to here voice the more impressed I am just beautiful and great music.

Live Radio Performance

Barracudo Video

Wikpedia

Miho Hatori (?? ??, Hatori Miho?, b. April 5, 1970; Tokyo, Japan) is a singer and songwriter, primarily known as the vocalist of the New York City group Cibo Matto.
Miho expressed an early interest in music while growing up in Japan.
She worked in a record shop where she was exposed to many different
styles of music, and sometimes performed as a club DJ.

Miho moved to the United States, New York sometime around 1993 to
study at an English school; Where she sometimes continued her
infrequent work as a DJ. The first New York band she was in was a punk
band called Leitoh Lychee for which she provided the vocals, and also
played violin through a distortion effects pedal. It was as a member of
Leitoh Lychee where she first met her Cibo Matto co-founder Yuka Honda in 1994. Cibo Matto went on to release two albums, Viva! La Woman in 1996 and Stereo Type A in 1999. She also contributed vocals to Cibo Matto band-mate Sean Lennon's solo album, Into the Sun in 1998. Cibo Matto has since broken up.

While Cibo Matto was touring with Beck, Miho and Beck guitarist Smokey Hormel discovered a shared love of bossa nova and samba, which eventually resulted in their Brazilian-styled musical project Smokey & Miho. In 2001 Miho contributed vocals for the band Gorillaz as "Noodle".[1] Other artists she has worked with include Handsome Boy Modeling School, Stephin Merritt's The 6ths, The Baldwin Brothers, The Beastie Boys, Blackalicious, Greg Kurstin (Action Figure Party), Forró in the Dark and John Zorn. Miho has also performed solo and on October 21, 2005 her first solo album, Ecdysis was released in Japan. Ecdysis has recently as of October 24, 2006 been released in the United States & Europe as well.

Is it too late for an old hippie to make a recommendation.

I just saw this guy last night.. 37 years later and he is better than ever and has a smokin' band. Go see him if he comes around. Originally in the band Traffic, but this was a superb solo album by him. Dave Mason "Alone Together".

This is an album about relationships and loves losts.. folk rock based blues. It's a great album. The original vinly version multi colored.

With songs like: Sad and Deep as You, World in Changes, Shouldn't Have Took More Than You Gave, Only You Know and I Know ...you know this is an album you'll listen to again and again and again.. it will tell a story you'll connect with.

51499CPRA9L._SS500_.jpg

• 4 weeks later...