Reference Series Speaker Grills

whell

I know much as been written about the grills. Being kind, the "floating grills" may have been a great idea, but flawed execution kills them. The plastic pins that attach the grills to my RB-5's have all completely broken off now (having little ones in the house is no help!).

This is not a post to necessarily gripe further about the grills. However, I was wondering if anyone had conjured up a practical solution for a "home - based fix" to get the grills to reattach to the speakers. I've tried gluing the pins back in place, but that has proven to be a temporary solution. I've also tried velcro, but there isn't enough surface area on the grills to give the velco a good place to stick, and keep the the grills "floating".

I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions. And no smart a$$ comments from the Heritage bunch about selling the RB-5's and getting Heresies or the like! [:)]

This is what I did with broken pin on my RF7s, hopefully it will work for you too. The pins you will find are hollow and will take a tooth pick quite easily or use a cut (along the vertical line) straw to srink its diameter to allow you to wedge it in the hollow side of the broken pin and the pin base. I used the straw because it was a tighter fit. Cut the straw/toothpick length wise to fit. Then apply good plastic glue and allow to dry for 24 hours. My repair peg is still is standing. I believe they later replaced these with those magnets.

This is not what you asked for so pardon my asking but, did you call and ask that fellow in the parts department at Klipsch about replacement grills?

They were out of the RF-3 floating grills when last I spoke to them but they might be back in stock by now.

Good luck!

~Noah

I didn't inquire about replacement grills. My thought was that the speakers are now out of warranty, so it would cost. Couple that with the fact(?) that the replacement grills, having the same design, will ultimately suffer the same failure.

This is what I did with broken pin on my RF7s, hopefully it will work for you too. The pins you will find are hollow and will take a tooth pick quite easily or use a cut (along the vertical line) straw to srink its diameter to allow you to wedge it in the hollow side of the broken pin and the pin base. I used the straw because it was a tighter fit. Cut the straw/toothpick length wise to fit. Then apply good plastic glue and allow to dry for 24 hours. My repair peg is still is standing. I believe they later replaced these with those magnets.

Interesting idea, and a nice, inexpensive repair. I like!

Thanks for this suggestion!

On my RF-7's I had 4 broken pegs. I glued them back using hot glue and also glued steel dowel pins in the hollow stems (even the unbroken ones). The dowels pins were made from metal coat hangers. Perfect diameter/fit. I haven't had any problems since.

-PB