Refinish a speaker - don't do it!

You gave the refinisher a speaker to match. He said he could match the finish and didn't. Seems he didn't keep his contract.

The New Wood Finishing Book by Michael Dresdner has a nice section on color matching wood. It takes patience and some skill.

Did the woodworker oil them or lacquer? If only oiled, you might try a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and some SW cherry wood stain (stain only). carefully wipe them one time (on the bottom piece of veneer...) with the mix and immediately wipe off the excess. Let sit for 24 hours. Look.. See.. Try again if not quite "reddish". I've had to to do this a couple of times in the past. Works, but takes time and patience.

Yes, Walnut changes color in the sunlight. It will become less grey/black and more red/brown with exposure to UV rays. I'm not certain how Klipsch gets their Walnut so brown from the get-go, but a few months in the sun can give you the same effect. I learned this when I was trying (and failing) to match some replacement Walnut edgebanding to the existing Walnut on my Belles. Everything I could find on the market looked way to grey, so I finally found a venner shop that gave me the answer I was looking for. A few months in the window exposed to direct sunlight, and I had a perfect match.

The cabinet maker also suggested this "sun" idea. I am not fond of placing my speakers in the sun at all.

Roc-if you don't want to put them out in the sun, you could always get them a 2 week membership to your local tanning salon. If you go that route, I'd certainly like to read about your experience!![:P]

-David

Yes, well the problem is HE should have put the sheets of veneer in the sun prior to putting them on your speakers. It's kinda late (and very impractical) now. It would have probably taken a few weeks (probably longer) in direct sunlight minimum. I've used an indoor window sill or table placed under the window for larger peices with excellent results. I'm also not sure if the color change will be even harder to impose now that they are finished. I've only used this method on bare veneer, and most finishes will block some of the suns rays.

I ran into this problem when trying to match oiled cherry. I read some where to take ashes from wood stove, let soak in a bucket of water for 4-5 weeks, drain off water from the top, ash free, and apply to wood. I gave it a try and was amazed at the results. Wood achieves it's patina over many years and this excellerates the process. If you have any of the extra veneer left from the job it would be worth a try.

Tom

Yes, Walnut changes color in the sunlight. It will become less grey/black and more red/brown with exposure to UV rays. I'm not certain how Klipsch gets their Walnut so brown from the get-go, but a few months in the sun can give you the same effect. I learned this when I was trying (and failing) to match some replacement Walnut edgebanding to the existing Walnut on my Belles. Everything I could find on the market looked way to grey, so I finally found a venner shop that gave me the answer I was looking for. A few months in the window exposed to direct sunlight, and I had a perfect match.

The cabinet maker also suggested this "sun" idea. I am not fond of placing my speakers in the sun at all.

Roc-if you don't want to put them out in the sun, you could always get them a 2 week membership to your local tanning salon. If you go that route, I'd certainly like to read about your experience!![:P]

-David

Can't. Tanning salons are too dangerous. Can cause wood cancer if exposed too long.