Bi-wiring

mjennings99

I think he meant "this" site, meaning the Klipsch forums. A search for "bi-wire" will yield all sorts of results.

I believe the product manuals discuss bi-wiring too.

A slightly longer answer...regardless of whether or not you biwire, the voltage at the input to the passive crossover for the tweeter is going to be the same because the bi-wire configuration shares the same node. Of course, if you believe this, then you should quickly realize that bi-wiring doesn't achieve anything either, but let's not go there [;)]

Someone is wrong about bi-wiring (among other things).

I think he's studying electrical engineering and think his profs know everything (hint: they don't).

Bi-wiring can give an audible reduction in intermodulation distortion. It is most noticable in speakers with low impedance woofers and high impedance mids and highs (as most of the Klipsch Heritage series were).

Good basic reading at:

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/biwiring.htm

Bi-wiring also allows for different types of wire for HF and LF response. Big fat zip cord (think original Monster cable) has high inductance. There is an article in BoxOffice Magazine by John Allen about a large cinema installation using Klipsch speakers that negated a measured a 5dB loss in VHF by using lower inductance wiring.

The first time I heard the difference in distortion in a bi-wire vs regular wire system was about 30 years ago. It was in a big club with a horn loaded JBL pro system and McIntosh amplifiers. A conductor in the under-the-floor multicore speaker wire went open and they had to drop back to a regular wiring scheme for one channel. The increase in intemodulation distortion on that side was so bad that the bar owner called me in to fix the 'blown' JBL drivers! An extra pair of wire had to be taped at the edge of the dance floor until the lighted plexiglass dance floor could be pulled up for maintenance.

More recently a friend bi-wired his Belle (that came from Klipsch with bi-wire terminals). The tonality of the Belle changed so much with bi-wiring that he did not like the sound, and changed back to the regular wiring scheme (the mids and highs seemed too prominent). He is contemplating changing to the Crites autoformer to allow for more precise level adjustments.

Is it a huge change? Can everbody hear it?

No, and no.

Surplus teflon wire is available for about $0.13 a foot. If you only need about ten foot to each speaker it will only cost you about $5.20 to try it. You can put a loose twist in the pair with an electric drill. 20ga is fine for most runs for HF, 18ga for longer. Pick two different colors of wire to make it easier to hook up. Avoid using banana plugs at the back of the speakers. If you don't mind paying for ready-made wire, the lowest price Kimber cable is nice, as is the lowest priced AudioQuest.

"Bi-wiring also allows for different types of wire for HF and LF response. Big fat zip cord (think original Monster cable) has high inductance. There is an article in BoxOffice Magazine  by John Allen about a large cinema installation using Klipsch speakers that negated a measured a 5dB loss in VHF by using lower inductance wiring."

agree...bi-wiring also allows placing HF sections on one tap, and LF sections on another tap of output transformers.  This flexibility results in changing either the HF or LF section anywhere from +-3db to +- 6db.

"A slightly longer answer...regardless of whether or not you biwire, the voltage at the input to the passive crossover for the tweeter is going to be the same because the bi-wire configuration shares the same node. Of course, if you believe this, then you should quickly realize that bi-wiring doesn't achieve anything either, but let's not go there Wink"

we should conceptualize all senerios....including when a fuse in either the HF or LF section blows.....and the effect it has on the other section....the stuff has to go somewhere.

I think he's studying electrical engineering and think his profs know everything (hint: they don't).

That's so incredibly off the mark it's not even funny.

Bi-wiring can give an audible reduction in intermodulation

distortion. It is most noticable in speakers with low impedance woofers

and high impedance mids and highs (as most of the Klipsch Heritage

series were).

Really? I'll believe it when I see some measurements. I really don't

care to read unfounded fanciful claims, despite who the

author is. Where is the data? I don't care to "hear about" the measurements....let's see the actual plots.

The increase in intemodulation distortion on that side was so

bad that the bar owner called me in to fix the 'blown' JBL

drivers!

Any faulty connection will sound that way...

Ok, so I went ahead and read through it all. I got turned off the first

time by "audiophile" descriptions and the boring instructions on how to

bi-wire. The current thing is interesting, but even he says it's barely

audible and system dependant. Why bother playing with distortions

30-60dB down from the direct signal, when you can run an active

crossover and address the huge swings in the direct sound and polars resulting

from time arrival offsets???

I admit is only a small improvement for most people, but the way I do it it can save money vs buying one run of $10 a foot wire.

Before copper went up I could buy 18ga teflon wire out of stock where I work for $0.06 a foot.

I've been biamping for over 30 years now, it's the only way to go.

I've done both. Can I tell a difference in the Kimber bi-wire of 8 TC that I use at over $10 a foot...each....NO! However I could tell a difference right after I bought it...I wonder what that meant[:$]

Do I still do it...Hell yea I do...I've bought the stuff...sooooo

I use a 4 conductor setup....but it's and off the shelf item...not a DIY.

The article provides some good info...and leads into a very useful DIY project.

The grade of copper, and the part number spec/standard provided is worth noting.

good wire article....it's pro 4 conductor....2 for each terminal

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/ultralink-CL414-cable-5-2003.html

I read that article down to this statement:

"If you took a tiny capacitor and put it in parallel with your loudspeaker terminals, it would reduce the bass. That is why they are used with tweeters in crossover networks. "

I quit reading at that point.

Bob Crites