Bi-wiring

mjennings99

good wire article....it's pro 4 conductor....2 for each terminal

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/ultralink-CL414-cable-5-2003.html

I read that article down to this statement:

"If you took a tiny capacitor and put it in parallel with your loudspeaker terminals, it would reduce the bass. That is why they are used with tweeters in crossover networks. "

I quit reading at that point.

Bob Crites

Bob,

At least he got the inductor one correct.

-Tom

Nice pictures...

Another variation involves amps with autoformers.  Putting the HF and LF section on different taps allows flexibility in room tuning.  It's still one amp, so it's not bi-amping, but it does use two wire runs.

Nice pictures...

Another variation involves amps with autoformers.  Putting the HF and LF section on different taps allows flexibility in room tuning.  It's still one amp, so it's not bi-amping, but it does use two wire runs.  See attached.

McIntosh Autoformer Training Page.pdf

Putting the HF and LF section on different taps allows flexibility in room tuning.

Changing the relative output of drivers has absolutely nothing to do with "tuning" the room. Of course, using such vague terms isn't very useful either.

Putting the HF and LF section on different taps allows flexibility in room tuning.

Changing the relative output of drivers has absolutely nothing to do with "tuning" the room. Of course, using such vague terms isn't very useful either.

read the PDF.....nice picture...easy to read bullets....no word smithing required

read the PDF.....nice picture...easy to read bullets....no word smithing required
What makes you think McIntosh knows anything about room acoustics? That marketing brochure is a joke. Heck, the company even claims comb-filtering doesn't exist! You would do better to quote from people that don't have their head in the sand.

What makes you think McIntosh knows anything about room acoustics? That marketing brochure is a joke. Heck, the company even claims comb-filtering doesn't exist! You would do better to quote from people that don't have their head in the sand.

DrWho

Write them a proposal....who know's, they might make you head of a new department.

I as well as many Mcintosh users have applied the info in the PDF...it does deliver on the claims....going from the 4 ohm tap to the 8 ohm tap does drop output -3db and vs versa...the comments are reasonalbe...and examples realistic.

Adjusting either the HF or LF section via tap settings is very easy and straight forward...also reversable.

McIntosh has an acoustics department? So what research have they

contributed to the field of acoustics? Based on the pure and utter crap

their sales department continues to spew, I would never consider

employment at their company (and I am talking far more than that stupid brochure).

As far as acoustics, I'll stick to discussing the ETC and how to best

achieve the ITD and desired decay rates - after treating the modal

behavior of course. Are you just unfamiliar with these concepts or you

really think a transformer can address them? [:o]

"I have a Musical Fidelity Amp CR3- 135 w/ channel and I Bi-wired my RF3's. My question is do I have to worry about too much power to the HF side. "

here is the original question.

"I'll stick to discussing the ETC and how to best achieve the ITD and desired decay rates"

what thread are you talking about.

Using the autoformer taps per the Mcintosh PDF is an example of how to control the power to the different sections.  Want more power....use a higher ohm tap....want less power use a lower ohm tap.  very simple.  pictures included.  If your amp does not have autoformers...you can certainly add them...zero autoformer device as an example....this would allow controlling the power to each of the sections...if that what you wanted to do.