Rotel or NAD??

no1boogie

Help!! I am new to the forum and joined so I could ask a question. I bought a pair of RF 7's and want to upgrade my amp. I have an old (23 years approx) NAD and have enjoyed it. I am looking at either Rotel or Nad for my next amp. I would love to go Mcintosh but money is a decided issue thus the RF 7's and not Cornwalls. The Rotel I looked at is the RX-1052: 100 watts per channel and about $900.00. The NAD is 150 watts and about $800.00. (Can't remember the model). Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum. Are you looking for an integrated amp or power amp? If you are looking for an integrated amp, I have had good luck with NAD. Their C-372 has good power, 150 watts x 2, and some very nice features like two pre-outs. Makes it easier to ad a power amp for bi-amping or, buy the companion C-272 amp and bridge them. The RF-7 likes power so the more quality watts you throw at them, the happier they and you will be. I have no experience with Rotel equipment but they are well respected by many.

McIntosh 2105, same price, better sound, zero depreciation.

A Mac for 800?!

NAD puts out some very good power, and usually has lots of headroom. Although I have nver used or heard a Rotel (I am sure they are good), I would go with the NAD and higher wattage. I have a 20 year old NAD int amp that still works well.

I have RF-7 speakers and have a collection of different amps and Klipsch speakers. I find myself listening to the RF-7 much of the time with the Rotel RB-1080 (200wpc) and Rotel RB-1090 (380wpc). It's a great combo, I've been very pleased with the results. I also like the Rotel RX-1052 and Rotel rates their power very conservatively, and yes the RX-1052 will give the RF-7's the quality watts/power it needs. The Klipsch and Rotel forums have many satisfied users of the Klipsch/Rotel combo, do a search and read up on some of the comments. I don't think you can go wrong with this combo, it really brings life into the RF-7's, I was very impressed!

I have RF 7's and had the Nad C272 new, and rotel 990 bx used. Both were fine but I thought the 990 had a slight edge plus my mind said 200w is better. The 990's are frequently available for $450 used. For some reason there are FAR more much newer 1080's used at $750 than 990's Hmmmm. Currently I have the 1090 380w and love it.

I have Rotel Home Theater receiver using only L/C/R and love the resulting sound.  Perhaps a bit more expensive than NAD (which I have owned in the past and considered them to be excellent but not as good as the Rotel).  I vote for Rotel but respect the NAD.

Ditto the RB-1080 (rotel 2x200wpc) for the RF-7. I like 200wpc due to impedance issues with the RF-7. Only experience I have is with SS...others get good results with lower powered tubes.

I love this combo; other quality amps would certainly do (no experience with NAD). This is my "2-channel" set-up. I complete the HT system with an additional RMB-1075 (5x130wpc) for the center, surround, and one back channel making a 6.1 using a Klipsch RC-35 for a "center-back". The Rotels are affordable, easily found used, and keep value. Sometimes, dealers will discount if you ask. I got my 1080 brand new for $850...not much more than a used one.

BTW, I may have misunderstood. Are you looking for just a receiver? Have you already planned for a pre/pro? Sometimes, receivers with high-power ratings still don't do well with the RF-7. I gave up a perfectly good Yamaha RX-V2600 with 130wpc in favor of the Rotel and pre/pro. The Yammi was not even close to what the separate Rotel does. This is obvious by virtue of extra power and power supples etc. But you will have a significant extra expense for the pre/pro. However, once again, I haven't ever auditioned a dedicated 2 channel receiver. It might be just right.

When I had my RB1080 I personally didn't start liking the sound till the output power started reaching about 1/2 to 3/4 of a watt. By that time the music was louder than I wanted for some situations with high efficiency speakers. After a few years I sold the Rotel and bought a Mac MC252 used for a little under $3k.