Yamaha CR-2040 - Any opinions?

dkalsi

I am about to pick up Yamaha CR-2040 receiver this evening for $125 - pricy or not its still cheaper than e-bay.

It will be replacing my Sonic Impact Super T (the Silver Aluminum one - btw let me know if anyone is interested in purchasing that. I was going to put it on audiogon for 100 or $85 to forum members).

Back to the Yamaha - any opionions - I was reading some random forums and although the Sansui 9090db is more expensive - most preferred the "natural sound" of the yamaha.

I also bought Marantz 2285 off ebay for $190. which i was planning on hooking up to my Cornwalls. I will leave feedback on the marantz once it arrives (for those who are curious).

dkalsi,

When I sold upscale audio gear (McIntosh, Klipsch, B & O, Yamaha, Nakamichi, etc.) in the '70s, the Yamaha electronics just about sold themselves. They offered great styling, quiet electronics and the variable loudness control (later adopted by some of the McIntosh preamps) was a great selling feature.

If a customer was buying a stereo system which included Klipsch loudspeakers but couldn't afford the McIntosh gear, we would sell the Yamaha 10-1 over other alternatives. The power rating of all the "CR" receivers was very conservative. Fewer customers blew out Klipsch K-77 tweeters with Yamahas than with the same power rated Kenwoods we also sold.

BTW, we used to refer to Sansui as " Sansewage".

Enjoy your new-used Yamaha.

Lee

I agree with Lee. I posted a reply from work but it didn't take.

I bought a CR-2040 ~about~ 1980. Don't remember exact year. Paired it up with my LaScalas and some Electrovoice Interface D speakers. I also had a dbx BX-3, Audio Control 101 and a dbx "boom box" in the tape loop.

The system would flat out shake the foundation (the LaScalas punching you in the chest and the EV's at a -3db @ 28 HZ doing the foundation shaking)

Since I only had my system hooked up with a Yamaha receiver, I never knew I could have a system without hissssssssssssssss when the volume was at idle. I simply thought that was the way it was. I could clearly hear the hissssssss from the tweeter from across the room.

I finally gave all those components to a friend of mine (and forum member now).

My prior Yamaha (I forget number... maybe a CR-1020?) fried a number of tweeters in my EV's but once I got the 2040 it never happened again (who ME clip an amp????????????????)

I never fried a tweeter in my laScalas either and they all shared a brutal life on campus in the dorms and then when I lived in an apartment and provided the outside tunes... we'd drag a LaScala outside and let er rip.

I am about to pick up Yamaha CR-2040 receiver this evening for $125 - pricy or not its still cheaper than e-bay.

If

there are any problems, or if you want it checked out (or beautifully

veneered), there's guy local to you does great work refurbbing

Yamahas.

Look for Merrylander over on AudioKarma.

P.S. I own a CR-1000 and a CR-1020. And a CA-2010/CT-1010 combo, too. I love 'em all.

Posted Image

I think you will be pleased with the CR-2040!

I purchased a CR-1020 along with a pair of Heresy's in 1977 and they are both still going strong. I had a friend with a Sansui receiver and speakers and we had a shoot-out one day; he sold his Sansui gear and bought Yamaha and Klipsch!

BTW, we used to refer to Sansui as " Sansewage".

Hmmm... I bought a G8000 in 1978 while stationed in Germany, and it was an outstanding receiver. Built like a tank and had a very good phono stage. I replaced it in 1982 with Yamaha separates (M4/C4/T7) and wished I hadn't. YMMV...

Mike

post-6388-13819340016094_thumb.jpg

All that early gear was good equipment........Sansui, Pioneer, Early Yamaha Some of the 70's equipment gets beaten-up here all the time, I don't understand why, it wasn't until the 80's equipment all the gadets started showing up, built in equalizers, unreal power ratings, less expensive pieces used to build units, plastic.............you know what I'm saying.......

All that early gear was good equipment........Sansui, Pioneer, Early Yamaha Some of the 70's equipment gets beaten-up here all the time, I don't understand why, it wasn't until the 80's equipment all the gadets started showing up, built in equalizers, unreal power ratings, less expensive pieces used to build units, plastic.............you know what I'm saying.......

Indeed OB, here's a very young Kaiser with his first system in Germany consisteng of the Pioneer SX-1050 (120 WPC), SG-9500 EQ, Techni SL-23 table/Orto OM-20 and Advent Largers which until I heard the Jubs were the nicest 2 ways I ever listened too[;)]

post-18681-13819340030182_thumb.jpg