Synergy SUB-10 Bad Amplifier??

chesco9

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup....same situation here with my sub-12.

Came to the realization last night that my sub-12 wasn't working, even though the blue light was on.

Tested it on my basement receiver...no change...didn't work...got a quick hum when hooking up the RCA cable so it is not the driver.

Definately a problem with the amp.

Talked with Klipsch Support a few minutes ago...basically it was $164 for a new amp. Good thing is that it was in stock but the bad thing is that shipping was not included. Assuming another $16 shipping cost +/-... I figured the total cost for replacement would be around $180 with a 1-year warranty on the amp (with the rest of my sub-12 with an expired warranty).

Decided to buy a new Klipsch Sub-12HG off amazon for $350 with free shipping...this is the High-Gloss version (confirmed 120-volt version).

Basically the exact same version as the sub-12 except with the high gloss black trim. New with 2-yr amp warranty, 5-yr driver/speaker warranty.

In my opinion, well worth the extra $170 cost to buy the Sub-12HG brand new.

• 2 weeks later...

My 3 year service plan ran out from best buy and they wont do anything about it .. Klipsch obviously is dodging this issue and making money off of us .. not going to waste anymore time on the phone with service reps that wont help me unless i want to pay to get it fixed.. so Polk audio here i come

Wow!. Some of you guys expect a lot from a budget sub. These things are punched out in big quantities to keep the price down and let those on a budget have a taste of true high fidelity sound. You just can't utilise the kind of quality control you would expect from individually hand built products like the Heritage or Reference range of speakers. In saying that, there is no reason why the sub's problems can't be sorted for very little expense. Replacing the sub amplifier sounds like a good option.

Just to put your situation into perspective, other manufacturers have quality control issues too. I recently owned a pair of ATC SCM50 active studio monitors for a year. These things are VERY expensive and are used in many of the top line recording studios in the country. I had problems with these speakers from day one, with one speaker making intermittent clicking and cracking noises. I had this speaker back to the technician for warranty work four times. Each time the technician kept the speaker for several days. This speaker was so heavy, I couldn't trust a courier. So I transported it myself with each round trip to the workshop taking several hours. This was very frustrating. Eventually the problem was fixed. While the ATC's sounded absolutely fantastic when they worked, I had reached the point where I was fed up with them so I sold them. Now I just use my Belles.

P.S. I also own a Klipsch SW-450 subwoofer. I've had no problems with it. Why not replace your Sub-10 with a SW-450?

My 3 year service plan ran out from best buy and they wont do anything about it .. Klipsch obviously is dodging this issue and making money off of us .. not going to waste anymore time on the phone with service reps that wont help me unless i want to pay to get it fixed.. so Polk audio here i come

Wow!. Some of you guys expect a lot from a budget sub. These things are punched out in big quantities to keep the price down and let those on a budget have a taste of true high fidelity sound. You just can't utilise the kind of quality control you would expect from individually hand built products like the Heritage or Reference range of speakers. In saying that, there is no reason why the sub's problems can't be sorted for very little expense. Replacing the sub amplifier sounds like a good option.

Just to put your situation into perspective, other manufacturers have quality control issues too. I recently owned a pair of ATC SCM50 active studio monitors for a year. These things are VERY expensive and are used in many of the top line recording studios in the country. I had problems with these speakers from day one, with one speaker making intermittent clicking and cracking noises. I had this speaker back to the technician for warranty work four times. Each time the technician kept the speaker for several days. This speaker was so heavy, I couldn't trust a courier. So I transported it myself with each round trip to the workshop taking several hours. This was very frustrating. Eventually the problem was fixed. While the ATC's sounded absolutely fantastic when they worked, I had reached the point where I was fed up with them so I sold them. Now I just use my Belles.

P.S. I also own a Klipsch SW-450 subwoofer. I've had no problems with it. Why not replace your Sub-10 with a SW-450?

Edwinr- I see your point, but find fault in it. Was your problem with the ATC speakers one that is wide spread and a known as a big issue with the speakers? The issues with the Synergy Sub-10's and 12's is wide spread, and has been one that has turned off many consumers that were just trying Klipsch out for the first time only to end up with multiple issues with their subs after only a year or two. It should not matter how much you spend on a subwoofer, it should last longer than its warranty period. I don't know about your experience, but spending up to about $500 (Sub-12) is not considered a bargain basement/flea market buy, it is an investment! I have not been disappointed in Klipsch previously, but with these subwoofers Klipsch has fallen into conversations that do not help them sell more of their good product.

It would be interesting to see the return statistics of the Synergy compared to other similar products. I searched the forum and there have been several people complaining about quality control issues - mainly with the amplifier module. But my argument is that Klipsch has manufactured and sold thousands of the these subwoofers. I know it's easy to get the impression that lots of people are having issues because these very people (and correctly so) post their woes on this forum. If I had an issue, I would post too. But how many thousands of people have had no issues? If you look at the statistics vis a vis the number of Sub-10s sold compared to the number of reported faults, you may find that the Sub-10 is no worse than other brand name subwoofers.

Also, I think it is very unfair for someone to announce they will never buy Klipsch again because of an issue with one or two products. I have owned Klipsch gear most of my life. I have never had any issues that have not been resolved to my satisfaction.

Believe me, there are many brand names on the market that do not offer the support that Klipsch offer. At least these guys care a little. And they are all as passionate about music as we are.

P.S. Just in case you are wondering, I am not employed by Klipsch and they did not pay me to say this stuff...

The general statistic is that for every 1 person that complains openly, 26 stay quiet about their issue. If you look at the Sub 10 and 12"s that are for sale for a steal on craigslist and ebay, many of them have the "dead amp" issue. I myself was able to find about 4 being sold locally in the past year just in my local craigslist that had dead amps. This problem is pretty wide spread in my opinion.

The general statistic is that for every 1 person that complains openly, 26 stay quiet about their issue. If you look at the Sub 10 and 12"s that are for sale for a steal on craigslist and ebay, many of them have the "dead amp" issue. I myself was able to find about 4 being sold locally in the past year just in my local craigslist that had dead amps. This problem is pretty wide spread in my opinion.

Hmmm. That would be a shame if this is truly the case. Maybe that's why Klipsch has replaced the Sub-10 and Sub-12 with the SW-350 and SW-450!

• 8 months later...

Wow. I wish I saw this before I got my SUB-10. I now have the same problem. Is there any other option besides sending the amp in to get repaired for $120? I am really disappointed in this sub, I have only had it for little more than 2 years.

I did. The warranty is only 2 years on the amp. I'm a little over that. I checked with Sybesmas Electronics, the company that handles the repair for Klipsch. They just give you a remanufactured amp with only a 90 day warranty. I asked if it was any better than the stock amp, and they said it was the same. Not sure I want to spend $120 to repair a sub that may do the same thing in such a short time.

Thinking about trying out Velodyne. Any opinions?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Guys,

Did anyone happen to have a Schematic or Service Manual for this sub? I have this sub with the blowing fuses issues and I'm electronically savvy. I'm just looking for a schematic so I could at least trouble shoot whats going wrong with these amps to hopefully have a resolution for everyone. Just checking a couple of stuff, I found a shorted power transistor and diode. Just need a schematic to follow these in the circuit so I don't prematurely replace things when something farther down the circuit is the culprit.

It is possible however, to check each resistor, transistor, diode, and cap but that's tedious to say the least. So if anyone has or knows anyone with the service manual/schematic that would be great. If possible, PM me.

Thanks.

-Jasper

Hey Guys,

Did anyone happen to have a Schematic or Service Manual for this sub? I have this sub with the blowing fuses issues and I'm electronically savvy. I'm just looking for a schematic so I could at least trouble shoot whats going wrong with these amps to hopefully have a resolution for everyone. Just checking a couple of stuff, I found a shorted power transistor and diode. Just need a schematic to follow these in the circuit so I don't prematurely replace things when something farther down the circuit is the culprit.

It is possible however, to check each resistor, transistor, diode, and cap but that's tedious to say the least. So if anyone has or knows anyone with the service manual/schematic that would be great. If possible, PM me.

Thanks.

-Jasper

Welcome to the Forums, Jasper,

The main culprit of these amps is the heat build up. Not sure if there is a schematic floating around here. Obviously, it's something shorting directly to ground. The resolution I know of is a guy on the bay who fixes the amps and another guy who sells fans to moderate temp.

When I worked at GE, we used an Infrared camera to see which part got hot when our usual procedures didn't work.

I'm sure more people will chime in with some ideas.

Well considering its design, in one glance you could tell where the insufficiency lies. The heat sinks are just plates of aluminum, if that. Since they're plates rather than actual heat-sinks, the dissipation of heat is rather slow. Actual heat sinks such as the ones on computer cpu's have rows of fins which increases the surface area multiple times allowing the heat to dissipate faster when it comes in contact with the ambient air.

You are most definitely correct about the heat build up. In almost every electronic component, heat build up is always the issue to never overlook. Sadly, this was overlooked when they came out with this plate amp.

I haven't had time to take the mosfets/power transistors out yet from the board as I've been busy, but would you happen to know the specs or product number? Hopefully someone can chime in and provide a schematic diagram.

-Jasper