Trends Audio Amplifier

bdc

Hey guys,

I've been hearing about that low cost Trends Audio amplifier, which I believe was called the TA-10.1 or something along those lines. I know there was a thread a while back about this amp, but it was really long and got pretty off topic (and a bit too technical for me!). I'd like to know your guys' experience with this amp and what you've paired it with. I have a set of Forte I's that have been paired with the classic low budget favorite of the Klipsch forum, the venerable H/K 430 Twin Powered. I'd like to see how this newfangled "competitor" amp compares, too. Has anyone compared both?

And, since I'm already asking about the Trend amp, is anyone here willing to part with one (for a price of course!)?

• Like 1

I've not heard the Trends, but I have listened a lot to the very
similar sounding Sonic Impact T-Amp, and I just finished a week long
audition of a Winsome labs Mouse 30 wpc T-amp.

These are all
impressive little devices. None will sound better on your Heritage
speakers than your HK 430, and the highs are kinda grainy on
these.

Thank you for your response. I'm assuming you meant to say that neither the Trends nor the Sonic amp will sound as good as the HK 430, correct? One of the main reasons I'm interested in the Trends is because I feel that my HK is getting a little long in the tooth and probably requires some maintenance, which I don't know how to do.

• Like 1

"One of the main reasons I'm interested in the Trends is because I feel that my HK is getting a little long in the tooth and probably requires some maintenance, which I don't know how to do."

I have an HK 430 that I picked up for $10.00 several months ago. It makes a definate hum when it first powers up, but, after that it kicks a**. These are certainly long in the tooth but worth holding on to. I hit all the controls with deoxit and the thing works great. What kind of issues are you experiencing with your 430?

Tom

Any and All,

My little Trends TA-10.1 is being passed around in this forum. Lisa "Meagain" has it right now. Anyone that wants to play with it just needs to contact the current user and when they are through they can send it to you. Lisa wrote a brief peice on it after getting in place, but I don't think she has provided an update. Send her a PM if you want to try it out, and encourage her to write some more about her impressions.

As I have written before, don't worry about breaking it or anything, I promise not to sue anybody; just have fun with it and provide your impressions for all to read.

Pauln

post-16099-13819340091602_thumb.jpg

That's all right-- I'll probably just end up buying it new since I can't really find anyone selling them. Apparently no one wants to get rid of 'em! And as for the issues with my HK, there's nothing too serious. But, when certain things in the house are turned on and off (bathroom fan for example) a loud pop can be heard from the speakers. I also eventually noticed that the pop is accompanied by the dimming of the lights in the room for a split second. I'm worried that these popping sounds can damage my speakers eventually. Also, when I start up the receiver, I usually wait a few minutes before pressing in Speaker 1 and turning up the volume, or else there's a lot of scratchiness.

• Like 1

That's all right-- I'll probably just end up buying it new since I can't really find anyone selling them. Apparently no one wants to get rid of 'em!

I bought it, tried it and found it to be a POS. One of those internet frenzy that pop out from time to time.

Extreme lazyness, lack of time and too cheap a reselling price for me to bother anyway will makes for this lame chinese wonder to remain in the garage with the redback spiders.

I like my Trends. For the $129 I paid for it, it's a bargain. I keep it mostly to amaze other audiophiles. It is a lot better sounding than a lot of amps I have had through my place. It is great fun to place the amp on the floor between a pair of KHorns and watch people's reaction when it starts playing.

I have also played the Bubinga Tektons with this amp and if anyone asks me what a bargain basement audio system would consist of. A pair of Black Tektons 4.5 inch drivers, The Trends amp and a cheap CD player. - You would have a sound system that would be very, very good for under $500.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, long time since i came here, My Klipsch RB-81,s well, they are superb, but anyway....

[:D] I have a few pics of my 60 watt (8ohms) Autocostriuire Tripath T100, mounted in an enclosure i made over xmas. I have to say i have heard the likes of krell some mighty fine old Sansuis, yamahas,quads Audiolabs, Creeks, and some newer Bel Cantos, and Nuforce amps. For the money, The Trends TA10.1, (i own myself) and other tripath amps are fantastic value, also the clarity and depth of the best made tripath chips, can sound as good as any amp at any price. Im talking of two imparticular, the Amp 2, from the 41Hz website, and the "Truepath". (300 watts). Coldamps, and Hypex modules, are also classy. but the Truepath is, for the money, the best amp you will ever buy. one problem though. they are in kitform[:^)]. but i hope to have mine made from a fine fellow in Malaysia, from then on in, i will start constructing the ready made modules into a workable power amp. If it doesnt involve a nervous breakdown. I might make a few, and see if anyone wants one, but thats a long way off for now. I am going to be attempting to make a hypex, Truepath and coldamp power amplifier and see what one is the best. (i am still a novice to amp building, encosures and components, im motivated by the fascination and excitement of what these farily priced amps can achieve) Anyway named after the first sonic impact i stuck in a blue jewellery box(bluey), and then with this current amp board, into the second edition blue box, (bluey 2), Here comes, the Tripath bluey 3...TB3, dont laugh now, its my first attempt, took me ages to make this[:P].

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1040651xd5.jpg

http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1040634qk3.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1040602fb2.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1040628lb2.jpg

http://img236.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1040644nu9.jpg

[:D]thankyou jt1stcav, that chassis is actually what i made with MDF, a 12 year old saw, some black marble fablon vinyl, and Iron on teak veneer, the one using the jewellery box "bluey" number 1 is here..

http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blueysnewwonderfi4.jpg

And this is Bluey number 2 made from a presentation box for whisky..

http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2kg1.jpg

I have the Trends 10.1 and it is ok. Yes it sounds better than it should but it replaced my MC30s. This was atraumatic experience to say the least. It sounds alright on my Khorns as long as it doesn't creep over 90db or it starts sounding thin to me. After living with tubes for so long it is rather hard for me to adjust to soilid state. I will likely get a tube preamp and bypass the built in preamp. Then later replace the Trends altogether. I will keep it as a backup and maybe even try a few of those upgrade kits that are available.

I've been using the Trends 10.1 for about a month now with a pair of
oldish Lascalas and am thoroughly satisfied with that combo, especially
when considering the cost of the unit (I paid around $150 shipping
included from obadimports.com). There are a few setbacks however: only
one set of imputs, no remote. I've been using a simple little, yet high
enough quality build, passive 6-way source selector from
phonopreamps.com ($30.50) that doesn't seem to detract too much from
the signal, in fact I'd say it's almost invisible to my ears. My
sources are an unmodified Playstation 1 (haven't gotten around to
trying the mods yet and I don't listen to many CDs), a H/K tuner and a
refurbished Lenco L75. I'm quite enthralled with my <$1500 system.

dna

A Trends 10.1 passed though here a few months back. I liked it for what it was, but at some point I got a huge deal on a PS Audio Trio 100 amp. Out went the Trends. However, if I had a small second system, I would certainly consider the Trends again.

seti,

I installed the audiomagius tweakit II several months ago and liked the results. My Scott 222C has been sitting idle ever since. I think the trends has a better low end and clearer mids. The soldering was a little tricky due to the cramped space. My biggest problem was the auricaps supplied in my kit had the stranded wire leads which were too large for the circuit board holes. I believe the new kits have the solid wires so that installation should be easier. The audiomagus forum is a good resource if you have questions during the upgrade.

Have fun... I will be interested in your impressions of the upgrade.

--Ken