How can you make the Ctr Channel a little louder

Johnny TN

Others may know something I don't but I would think the only way to make your center louder than it is would be to turn that channel up higher than the rest. In some cases you may need to turn the other channels down in addition. Still it is tough to match a small center with the rest of your speakers being so large.

Nuck

yeah more reason for me to get my custom center plans ( lascala mid and tweeter drivers w/10 inches JBL woofers) going.. I already have the center at +10db but I have to turn the volume up high to hear all the dialog, then the explosions happen and it's earth shattering which I admit is sometimes cool.

I agree with what you are saying but that does not solve his problem. When watching movies it is about balance. If you cant hear your center over your mains then there is no point to having surround sound. The La Scala's will still do what they are intended to do as far as surround sound goes. By turning them down and the center up it will allow you to adjust the master volume higher so that everything is even. Lets say in his current set up he is watching movies at 50% volume. Once he turns down the other speakers to allow his center to be louder he may end up with a master voume of 75%. THe La Scala's will be just as loud as they were before but his center will be louder due to the off set. Any of the new receivers with an audessy type system would do this for the best overall sound performance when watching movies. If listening to music switch it to 2-channel stereo pure direct and twist the knob off.

Nuck

you might want to try the Heresy as Center with the LaScala...or...use the LaScala for 2 channel and use Heresy - Academy - Heresy - Heresy - Heresy for the HT with a Sub...that Academy just can't keep up with the LaScala...the Heresy might not either but it should be better...

I have 5 Heresys (one as Center) (all crossover at 80hZ) and a Sub and find this the best of the ones I have tried...a close second was my Quartets and a popbumpered Academy (K-Stack) Center...(Quarts crossover at 80hZ and the Academy at 100hZ)

...all speakers set to small 'cuz I have the Sub (Outlaw Audio LFM-1)

Bill

I usually set the volume so the dialogue is loud enough to be heard clearly and the explosions are as loud as the director wanted them to be. If you find the effects are too loud, as they can be with some movies, see if your DVD player or receiver has a "Night" setting, which will reduce the dynamic range, so the loud parts of the soundtrack aren't WAY LOUDER than the dialogue. The feature is intended for late-night listening without disturbing anyone trying to sleep. My Yamaha receiver has separate "Night Cinema" and "Night Music" settings, both of which are adjustable for more or less reduction in the dynamic range.

If you've been able to match levels between your speakers, they're compatible in that way. You'd only need to consider changing speakers for timbre matching purposes.

I use an old Radio Shack SPL meter to set my sound levels. I have never had a problem with dialogue being too soft.

Have you used your receiver/pre/pro's channel calibration? Or have you used Video Essentials to calibrate the speakers? If you have not, give it a try...should fix the volume problems!