Is the RF-82 Ideal for Classical Music?

Richard B

I'm a professional classical musician and I need help in purchasing speakers. My budget is $1,000, and I heard and loved the RF-82 today at a store in the DC area. Any suggestions?

What is the most affordable receiver that would be sufficient to power these speakers?

Finally, should I have any worries about blowing hte speakers out? I tend to listen to music at a very high volume and I was wondering if I should be careful with the RF-82's.

Thanks for your help.

I'm a classical freak, but it's a tough question for me to answer 'cause I'm a Heritage guy (see signature below) and I've only heard the Reference series at Klipsch "pilgrimages." One forum member has often expressed a preference for Reference, I think the earlier RF-7, for string music. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Can you give an example of classical works you play loudly and are worried about? Have you taken any decibel readings?

What store did you hear the RF-62's at, and what electronics were used? Also, do you play in one of the local orchestras, and which one if so?

Larry

The RF-82 replaced the RF-35 in the new lineup. I personally feel with proper amplification the 82's will do just fine.

The very first time I heard Klipsch Referrence was when I was casually walking through a recently opened Ultimate Electronics a few years back. While walking around I heard piano music originating from one of the listening rooms and went to check it out. Being a pianist for many years with college training I was stunned at what I was hearing which of course coming from the RF-35's and blurted out to the all in the room "Now that sounds like a piano". The sales person didn't appreciate it since he was finalizing a deal on Def Tech's. I hope the family making that purchase switched over to the other side but eh, who knows. Life hasn't been the same since [:D]

Now I own 7's with an RC-7 arriving in the mail Wednesday. O happy days!

...I was stunned at what I was hearing which of course coming from the RF-35's and blurted out to the all in the room "Now that sounds like a piano". The sales person didn't appreciate it since he was finalizing a deal on Def Tech's. I hope the family making that purchase switched over to the other side but eh, who knows. Life hasn't been the same since [:D]

CLASSIC [:D]. I find myself doing that sometimes. I usually do it at the Magnolia/Best Buy since I will not purchase from them.

Because of their unusually wide dynamic range and very low distortion, Klipsch speakers are very well suited to reproducing classical music. You'll hear lots of detail and nuance through the RF-82s. Differences in performance will be quite clear and the emotion of the music will come through better than with most any other brand.

RF-82's are big enough to be full range and should deliver very good resutls for your application. Do NOT try to skimp on the amplifier. That will be the challenge as most amps today have given up quality in exchange for a long list of features.

I can vouch for this. I have the RF-7 and was complaining about them being edgy and bright. Well, that was with a $500 receiver. I picked up a Mcintosh MC2100, a 1970's vintage solid-state tank, had it checked and put it straight to work. I can't tell you how stunned I was. The RF-82 will not dissapoint if you power it properly.

Thanks for the response Bob.

I purchased the RF-82's last week and now I'm completely overwhelmed with the task of purchasing an appropriate receiver. I already own an HDMI cable and I've been encouraged to buy a receiver iwth an HDMI input so I can have digital sound. Would you agree with that advice?

Also, should i set on a $400 receiver with 2 amps rather than a $450 receiver with 7 amps/surround sound?

i've read good things about the Onkyo TX SR605 - AV receiver - 7.1 channel . Any thoughts?

what exactly do you mean with regard to not skimping on the amps?

my budget is rather tight so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I suggest you consider optimizing with a 2-channel amp. The Crown D-45 I use is in your price range, but it is really meant for use in a 19"rack, has non-standard connections (for home use) and has separate volume control for each channel. There are good integrated amps in your price range. I recommend you be careful not to go for power alone, but be sure you get good sound quality at all levels (especially low levels). A powerful amp than handles low power well is likely to sound good at all levels. A powerful amp that sounds thin at low levels will probably sound harsh at all levels. Some brands like Cambridge Audio and Music Hall may be a possibility. I've never used over 10 Watts of power, but I don't listen at high levels and my speakers are somewhat more efficient than yours. I can't imagine you'd need more than 45 to 50 Watts of very low distortion power. Also, consider getting a power line filter (available for under $100).

Leo