What are you using for transport?

UFObuster

This being the more 'esoteric' forum for music listening...what is your most favorite transport device for everyday listening? I know that there are a lot of turntables out there. I'm more interested in finding out what this group uses for CD, SACD, DVD, etc. Are you locked into sophisticated pieces like the Jolida tube models or high priced mods of Denon, etc. Do you use universal players? Separates? Multi-disc units? In short, not what you want to have or bragg about but what do you really consistently use and a few lines why.

Thanks

media server loaded with 9000 songs and growing.....three teens in the house.

I have an HTPC, a ONKYO NAS 2.3 media server, and a Mcintosh MS-300 media server.  The MS-300 gets the most use.

Main reason is not having to reload CD's or records.....pic a category or a play list and let her play all day.

Yamaha DVD-S550. I've got both the digital and analogue outputs connected, one to the receiver's DVD input and one to its CD input, so I can switch between the player's DAC and the receiver's DAC. It makes an audible difference, but some CDs sound better with one connection, some with the other.

Replacing the basic Monster digital coax cable with a Monster Datalink 100 cable improved the sound, but I haven't tried anything better yet.

I use my computer as the transport and send everything digitally to the

receiver to be decoded and all that. I do it because I can access all

of my music with a single mouse click and sending the signal digitally

means no losses in quality. The only downside is the fan noise on the

computer, but there are plenty of ways to work around it (when you're

not on a college budget). There are certain advantages to the video

performance too.

Basically, as long as you keep the signal digital you will always

maintain perfect quality. The biggest concern is when the signal gets

converted to analog...so you can use the cheapest transport out there

as long as you have a good DAC. With the huge benefits of active crossovers

I would expect to see a trend towards keeping the signal digital until

after the crossover so as to avoid an extra AD/DA stage...making bi-amplified systems sound that much better.

Standard Starfleet 2 person transporter with enhanced pattern buffers and triple UPS back-up [;)]

Yammie 5 disk DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A, old Sony 5 disk CD, Yammie single hi def DVD player , nothing esoteric

Mac G4 as music server for iTunes, forget how many files, in the 1000s. Networked to three in-house ethernet drops

Old JVC DVD-A, Dual turntable, Denon cassette, and Sony LaserDisc available if required.

Standard Starfleet 2 person transporter with enhanced pattern buffers and triple UPS back-up [;)]

Yammie 5 disk DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A, old Sony 5 disk CD, Yammie single hi def DVD player , nothing esoteric

Mac G4 as music server for iTunes, forget how many files, in the 1000s. Networked to three in-house ethernet drops

Old JVC DVD-A, Dual turntable, Denon cassette, and Sony LaserDisc available if required.

Which hi def Yammie, and is it better than the 5-disk Yammie unit for sound or picture?

Well, I listen to music literally non-stop at work, so I'd have to say my main deck is my Sony PS1 (v.2). I use it because it's small and was laying around the house. It's under my desk and I ran the controller wire up into my desk drawer so it's out of the way. Sounds fine through my Altec 353A tube integrated and JBL 2500 monitors.