Are the cornwall III's really that better?

Are they worth paying 3x the price for a nice vintage I or II... I mean how much of an improvment could they of made. I am considering the III's however, should I just save myself a bundle of money, buy a mint vintage pair and be done with it.

Or is there really enough improvement to buy new (nice thing about buying new is that you are the only one to own that piece, I am willing to pay a little more for that, but not thousands if there is not much differance in sound quality)

James

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James: All I can recommend to you is to give the Cornwall IIIs a listen and allow your own ears to be the judge. I do not own a pair (I had RF-7s long before the 3s came out and I have no room for Cornwalls), but they won me over the very first time I heard them. I do own a pair of Heresy IIIs and that is saying a lot because I never liked the sound of both the Heresy I and II. The Heresy IIIs are a dramatic improvement as compared with their vintage counterpairs in my own opinion and this is emblematic of how I feel the Cornwalls have also improved. Happy shopping! -Glenn

• Moderators

Yep, what Picky said.....having heard both and owning Cornwall IIIs.....Cornwall IIIs are a "dramatic improvement"! And....like you said there is something about being the only person to own the speakers. If you can afford new Cornwall IIIs....go for it.....you won't be disappointed!

I am no expert (crowd readily claps in unison [:P]), but owning a pair of Cornwall I's, and having heard the the III's at last years pilgrimage, I gotta say - "um, YEAH". Really, really YEAH. Impressive all the way around; clean, dynamic, strong, accurate, rich....... I won't argue the price, but the improvements are substantial. And that's from no expert.

Chris

back in april i ordered 4 cornwall 3's in cherry and it took 4 weeks to get them. i was remodeling my room and i just finished it last week. first time i had 4 corns set up in a 15 X 15 room with a heresy 1 for center. very impressive. i really think that i need to buy 3 heresy 3's. one for center and 2 for the rear and move the corns to another room.

Daddy Dee, thanks for the info.

OK guys, I took your word for it. Just bought a pair of CW-III's. They're even in black, so no panic over refinishing this time.

They will have to be shipped so I should have them some time next week.

I will more than likely be putting my very nice CW-II's up for sale once received, so if anyone close to south TX is looking for a nice pair of oiled oak's drop me a line.

No boxes, so they can't be shipped.

BTW, my wife encouraged me to "just go ahead and buy the new one's in black so they match our entertainment center". I knew there was a good reason I married this women.[:D]

• Moderators

Daddy Dee, thanks for the info.

OK guys, I took your word for it. Just bought a pair of CW-III's. They're even in black, so no panic over refinishing this time.

I sure hope we were right![;)]

They will have to be shipped so I should have them some time next week.

Oh, the anticipation......[:P]

I will more than likely be putting my very nice CW-II's up for sale once received, so if anyone close to south TX is looking for a nice pair of oiled oak's drop me a line.

No boxes, so they can't be shipped.

Local pickup is best for everyone!

BTW, my wife encouraged me to "just go ahead and buy the new one's in black so they match our entertainment center". I knew there was a good reason I married this women.[:D]

I knew you just wanted that "new out of the box smell"![;)]

BTW, congratulations....and tell your wife we all think both of you made the right decision![:D] On both....the marriage and the new speakers![H]

• Moderators

I got my CWIIIs a bit over one year ago. The wall of sound is outstanding (6l6 pp amp driven by bottlehead foreplayIII). I believe you will be quite happy. Give 'em a little time, though. Mine just got tastier and tastier.

Jim

Great advice trioid! I notice the same thing about our CWIIIs....they just get better with age![:P]

Seriously, we have been listening to our CWIIIs for almost a year now. There was a substantial difference in sound quality after a couple of months and the sound quality continued to improve thereafter.

Of course....some would say we have no clue what we are talking about![:|]....

• Moderators

Jack,

I just realized you weren't even the one who started this thread!!!!!!

We must be some really good salesmen.......[;)]

Congratulations again, nothing like being the first owner of fine Klipsch Heritage speakers. Can't wait to see the pics and get your impressions!

Thanks for the kind words from everyone. It's going to be fun comparing the new with the old. To be honest, I don't expect miracles, but looking at the specs it appears as though the III's have better extension at both ends, which should be a good thing.

Anyone know if any of the new center speakers have the same tweet or mid-range as the III's? Probably not, but thought I'd ask.

• Moderators

"Anyone know if any of the new center speakers have the same tweet or mid-range as the III's? Probably not, but thought I'd ask."

I don't know about the new center speakers, BUT the Heresy lll has the same mid and high freq drivers as the Cornwall lll, a perfect match for center and rears.

"Anyone know if any of the new center speakers have the same tweet or mid-range as the III's? Probably not, but thought I'd ask."

I don't know about the new center speakers, BUT the Heresy lll has the same mid and high freq drivers as the Cornwall lll, a perfect match for center and rears.

Ah, yes! If I only had the space. I don't understand why Klipsch hasn't added a small center to match the Heritage line. It seems they could sell them easily considering how hard it is to find an Academy these days.