Another H/K 930

arfandbark

I remember about four or five years ago when I first mentioned the merits of the old H/K "x"30 series of twin-powered receivers here on the forum. It looks like I created a monster! I wonder just how many forum members now have, or have had, one or more of these over the past five years, and which ones?

Yes, I'm back from the desert temporarily, but I plan to return soon working there as a civilian this time around. It's been a very long two and one-half years away from the forum, not because I chose to be, but simply due to circumstances of where I was.

• Moderators

Hey Andy,

Welcome back and thank you for your service while in "the desert".[H]

We have a HK930 compliments of arfandbark. He sent the 930 to our family as a gift for the triple wedding we had in December 2006. dtel and I renewed our 28 year vows, our niece and her fiance and our daughter and her fiance all "got married". Colter even came down and photographed the wedding.

The 930 rocks our Cornwall IIIs that we won at the Klipsch Pilgrimage in Hope in 2006.

Again, welcome home.....[:D]

I have both the 430 and the 730 and will be interested in the KIT if one gets put together. I do like the sound of the 430 over the 730; to hard to put into words but you can tell the difference.

Funny thing is that the 730 is in very good condition appearance wise;with the 430 having seen better days.

Having not heard the 930 yet I guess I will have to start looking for one. Later Bill

I'm interested in having it done, but not in doing it.

We could practice on yours Neil [:|]

Yeah Andy- you created a monster with that post. Prices shot up overnight (jk).

What this really means is that we now understand the importance of POWER SUPPLY. Today's wimpy receivers have that annoying auto-shutoff when they overheat playing the Big Klipsch because they can't supply the current. Ratings are very liberal, with most manufacturers choosing 1kHz, 1 channel driven as the power test spec. Hardly a real life situation. Under heavy demand, these tinker toys just can't keep up with heavy iron.

This is why I'm collecting Crown amps for my setups not. Just bi-amped the LSI's outside with PS200 and DC75 and it was so incredibly clean and punchy. I don't think I'll ever buy another 'modern' receiver again unless something changes. Yes it'll be separates for me the next time around.

Hey Andy... nice to see ya on the board again. I hope things are going well for you over there.

I have a mint 730 that I bought off of Robster for $75 shipped, which is powering a pair of 76 Heresy's (that you built) in my garage. [:D]

I'm currently in the process of refinishing/rebuilding the Heresy's and hope to have some pics when I'm done.

Mike

I'm happy to see that so many folks are into the old H/K "x"30 series of twin-powered stereo receivers. For those of you who have, or are desiring to get, the 930 model, be SURE to utilize its tuner some, since it has the best tuner of the series. It will really reach out and grab those distant FM stations and lock onto them, PLUS it will STAY locked onto them! So use it, if you have a favorite FM station out there.

Colterphoto, I already knew that you were at Klipsch. Belated congrats! I was able to check out the forum from time to time while in the desert. You say you are getting old Crown amps. Did you know that in Europe, Crown amps were labelled AMCRON, instead of Crown? There was some copyright hassle over an electronics company which was already using the name Crown there, so the Crown amps from stateside were rebadged AMCRON for distribution over in Europe. So, when you are amp shopping, be sure to check out the AMCRON amps because you may be able to get a better deal just because some folks don't know they are really Crown amps. Also, the AMCRON versions were set up for international voltage requirements, so they can be used anywhere in the world by changing out the voltage setting on them. Since you like the old SS amps, give an old Dynaco Stereo 400 a try, they were considered much better amps than the Crown models, and didn't have the tendency to melt down. They were offered in kit form or as a factory-built model. The high-end version was called the Stereo 400 M/A, which meant it had two VU "meters added" to its front plate. It was also offered up with the installation of a whisper fan kit to help cool off its massive heat sink area on the rear.

As for some having a preference of the H/K 430 over the 730, etc. The 430 will naturally sound better just because of its lower transistor requirements. As the rated power of the series goes up, the sound quality goes down, albeit that in the "x"30 series it is barely noticeable, except at the lower volume usage. The advantage of the 630,730, or 930 over the 430 is that the bass response on heritage series speakers improves a bit as the power available increases, just because it takes more energy to "wake up" a large woofer than a tweeter or mid-range driver. But, the 430 is more than enough for most applications, and I like it best also.

I remember about four or five years ago when I first mentioned the merits of the old H/K "x"30 series of twin-powered receivers here on the forum. It looks like I created a monster! I wonder just how many forum members now have, or have had, one or more of these over the past five years, and which ones?

Yes, I'm back from the desert temporarily, but I plan to return soon working there as a civilian this time around. It's been a very long two and one-half years away from the forum, not because I chose to be, but simply due to circumstances of where I was.

Glad you are safe at home. Are you back in FS? If so, call or mail me and I will take you to the lunch of your choice.

You have a PM with my cell number.

Regards,

Terry

Dear Andy,

I have two 730s and two 930s. One 930 is in the garage waiting to be unboxed.

I gave a 930 to Dtel because he needed it. Cornwall IIIs as a gift from Klipsch and no way to run them? I don't think so.

He was/is worthy and quite happy I hear.

I paid one hundred + shipping for my newest one.

You have indeed created a following for these twin powered H/Ks.

With good reason.

Maybe if you would service these units (recapping) we could keep you in the States for a couple more months.

You had a thread years ago about the care and feeding of the x30 H/Ks.

I can't find that thread. Do you remember it?

At least one forum member has picked up a 930 with a wood cabinet. What a nice piece.

Glad you made it back, friend.

Thanx for your service to us. You are what makes our country whole. We love you.

Arfandbark

I have my new 930 up and running.

It's playing beautifully.

FM reception beats my TU-7900, KT-7500 and Rotels. JHeis's Optonica gives it a run.

Tomorrow I'll run it hard, then replace the burnt fuse lamps.

Positive feedback for the guy I bought it from on ebay.

All controls are smooth and light. No noise or scratchiness anywhere. Very nice.

I paid good money for this thing. I like it when it works out.

Welcome back Andy. Enjoy a safe Labor Day. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I located your original thread on the H/K 430 series.[1] More important, I located your thread to Justin[2] that included your recommendations regarding the H/K X30 series receivers and they are quoted below in blue. Thank you!

1. Give it a good look-over...its outside appearance is an indicator of how well it was treated...be sure to note any residue that may be along the bottom edge of the front chromed panel(in the part that sticks out in the inside corner there along the bottom edge), indicating that it was recently cleaned with some kinda liquid cleaner to "spruce it up for selling".

DO NOT PLUG IT IN OR POWER IT UP YET!!

2. Now, if everything looks good, then remove the top screws of its cover...along the front edges where the cover slips under the face plate edge...set these screws aside...then remove the two screws on either side of the cover...at the bottom edge...they are larger than the top screws, so don't get them mixed up. Now remove the cover.

3. Give the inside of it a GOOD looking over...look for any signs of repairs, etc...look for any discoloration of transistors and such...if it is dusty, take some compressed air and blow it out GENTLY!! Make sure to give it a THOROUGH looking over...don't take a chance on missing anything. Now...if everything looks ok...go to the heat-sink section of the amp...look at the pots there...check for discoloration comparing them to each other...and also look for a pasty white build-up of a greasy substance where they mount to the heat-sinks along the bottom edges...there is normally a bit there...if it is more than just a faint amount, then GENTLY wipe up the excess with q-tips. Ensure the heatsinks are clean...dirty heatsinks don't wick off heat well!! Check out the tuner...look for crud in it...ensure the string is on like it is supposed to be and the tuning knob works everything properly...clean it up if you need to.

4. Now...look at the backside of the volume, bass, and treble control pots inside it...look for dust, cobwebs, etc...and goop build-up...check em out really well visually...and slowly turn the knobs back and forth...feeling for stiffness and any dragging in them , while looking at the pots on the inside to see if any goop becomes visible as you turn them. Do the same for the rotary source switch. Even if everything appears ok, it is best to now give these controls a shot of cleaner/lube while you have everything ready to do so. The same for the push button switches...check them for smooth operation and positive click on and off!! Clean/lube them too!!

5. Leave the cover off for awhile after you use the cleaner/lube so that the cleaner portion has time to evaporate off. Use q-tips to wipe up any excess lube. While you are waiting for this, you can check out the RCA jacks on the rear and clean them if needed...same goes for the grounds, fm antenna connections, and so on. Also, CHECK THE FUSES!!!...there are two speaker fuses and one unit fuse on the Rear panel, but there are ALSO two fuses INSIDE the unit!!(total of FIVE fuses!)...ENSURE THEY ARE THE PROPER!!!! FAST BLOW ONES and IN GOOD CONDITION, and that the fuse holders are clean and shiny inside...no goop...same for the caps to them! (the recommended fuse-type data is lettered on the back of the receiver!!!, and inside it for THOSE fuses!!!) Replace the cover, now.

6. Now you can hook up your source equipment, your speaker wires, and your FM antenna, then position the unit where you want it to be...let it sit for awhile before you power it up.

7. Before powering it up, ensure the bass, treble, and volume knob pointers are in correct position...if not, then remove the knobs and replace them with the pointers properly aligned...the same for the rotary switch knob.

8. Now plug the unit in, ensure the volume is all the way down, the bass and treble controls are at "flat"(
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />12 o'clock
position), the speaker A&B switches are OFF, and all the other controls are off, too. Put the selector on your intended source, then turn the receiver on. Before using the speakers, use your headphones!! Turn the volume up just a bit and give the bass, treble, and volume controls a try...listen for scratchiness, deadspots, etc, in these controls...do not take the volume up past 2 o'clock!! Check out the bass and treble controls as you SLOWLY raise the volume!!

9. If everything sounds ok through the headphones, then turn the volume all the way down and turn on the speakers...then raise the volume to where you want it to be...SLOWLY!!

Older S/S equipment likes to be treated CORRECTLY! That means the volume is all the way down, and the speakers are off when you power it up...give it a few seconds, then turn on the speakers...then adjust the volume. It DOES NOT like to have its source switched with the volume UP!! Your speakers don't like it either!! Also, when powering down...first turn the volume down, wait a few seconds, then switch the speakers off...wait a few more seconds, and then turn the unit off...ok? This gives the caps a chance to discharge so that you don't give the Heresys a "whomp/whomp!!"

You will be surprised at the bass this unit puts out...it may take some getting used to, since it will at first be a surprise to you. If it seems a bit much, then turn the bass control back some! Everything you hear through your Heresys SHOULD be clear and concise with this unit...if it isn't, then something is wrong somewhere!! Somewhere past the 2 o'clock position on the volume control, is where clipping MAY begin to occur...you can VERY slowly turn it up to find this EXACT point during a musically-complex-passage...once you find it, immediately back-off the volume and stay away from there from now on!!

Enjoy it, take good care of it...and watch it gain in value on eBay...up til recently it has been a sleeper, but that is already changing!!

Neil, Doc, Andy, Dean- anyone!

I've printed out the parts pages for the manuals Neil provided. Which sections would benefit the most from Cap replacement?

I plan on building a spreadsheet to track values, qty's etc for each model. When we get everyone's orders and figure out which parts to update we'll know what to order.